Do aspies have a learning disability?

Page 6 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 10:33 pm

I was generally the first of the class in every subject until high school, when I became too depressed about my social disabilities to care about studying. Nevertheless, in the few instances when I did something in high school, the results were still above average.

Slayer_1425
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 1:20 pm

Not that I am aware of.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

Yes.

I have problems grasping concepts and answering short answer questions. Even multiple choice tests confuse me and I'm usually among the last to finish. Online classes I do a lot better in and I get higher scores when I test in a testing lab. It feels like in class that the teacher rushes me without letting time for the concepts to sink in. I need a longer time to process information especially in classes not interesting to me. Sometimes when the teacher is talking things fly right over my head and I'm pretty much always lost.

Personally, I love math and science. However I've failed or done poorly in Algebra multiple times; didn't do very well from 6th grade math on. All other maths I can do; Geometry is my fave. Science is so interesting yet I always get low marks. I absorb the facts but don't test well, same with history. I've always been a reader so I've always read (and wrote) above level, to the point that I've had teachers tell me I must have plagiarized.

My GPA has sucked since HS. In college I can't seem to get above a 2.8 even though I actually retain things I learn and people with much higher GPA's ask me for help. It's completely frustrating.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 1:35 am

I excelled in English and Social Studies ( politcs, history, and economics), but could never do math or science. I failed physics 30 twice and failed math 30 Pure (higher acedemic math)...I ended up taking basic Math 30 Applied just so I could get my Alberta High School Diploma. I did really well in my two year paralegal course and have my college diploma for such. But math and sciences are always something that I found and still do find very difficult.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2010, 8:20 am

Any type of grammar is frustrating to me.

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2010, 3:37 pm

danieltaiwan wrote:
Any type of grammar is frustrating to me.

I would have to agree. I had a hard time with where to insert certain words or uhmmm I dont even know the name of them... ''''''' those things. I never know where or how to put things in correct order

whatsthepoint
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Oct 2010, 7:18 pm

well reading and writing i have a problem with but math is easy and science too 0_o

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 11:08 am

While I've only recently been diagnosed with AS, I was diagnosed with non-verbal learning disability as a child.