Do aspies have a learning disability?

Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 6:08 am

I was crap at maths until my mum started bribing me, then I suddenly got better :lol:

As for other subjects, I'm good at them if I'm actually interested in them. Science is something that changes frequently depending on what we're studying, sometimes I get A's, sometimes I get U's, but I'm in the top set none the less.

English, Business, and IT are subjects I'm very good at. In IT, I help the teachers and tell them how to use the programs. In Business, I had to explain to my teacher how the tax system worked. In English... My teacher's a genius (my favourite in the whole school) but the class discussions we have in our lessons are great :D

PE is the only subject I'm genuinely bad at, since I'm dyspraxic and am crap at team work :roll:

nere-chan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2010, 10:53 am

I have problems with university's works because I need professors to be more specific, but I don't know if it's related to Asperger. And the psychologist said that I'm slower writing news than the rest of the students because I focus too much in the details and forget the general view.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2010, 12:17 am

HurrMark55 wrote:
I never had a problem with math...it was always my strongest subject. I guess if Aspies were surveyed, I would suspect more would have trouble with English than math. When you're doing a math problem, there is always a "right" and "wrong" answer. There isn't a specific solution in other subject matters, and Aspies might have more difficulty arguing what they say.

True, when it comes to Math, things are direct and clear. Whereas to English, you have a bunch of directions to nail down, it is not broken down clear enough, things are not very direct and you have to do things in various amounts of steps. Plus, when you get confused on a direction, you have to numerous amounts of clarification on the assignment. Also you have to do lots of proofreading and spell-checking for essay assignments. It really takes up your time and energy. Otherwise, non-english classes are well to understand in my opinion. But this is the first time I have actually tried in school in my life and am finally getting the hang of things also.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 9:26 am

My experience was that my biggest problem in school was staying focused on classes I didn't care about. Barely got through some of the "core classes" I had no choice but to take.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2010, 12:16 am

Some have LD and some do. I know I do, because I have to get directions clarified more then others, I mess up on following directions of big projects, and sometimes I get a little unorganized. But I am trying to work through my difficulties nonetheless and fix some little mistakes I just made, because this is the 1st time I am trying to conquer my problems face on. But I am in community college right now and this is actually the very first time I ever tried in my life and got a mix of A's, B's and C's and I am right now aiming for all A's or straight A's (for my community college transferrable units). In High School, I dealt with lots of bullying for 1/2 of the time and literally fell asleep in class and just try to hide in class, so I won't get bugged and picked on. I guess when I was younger, I had poor social skills, and didn't have the ability to think before I said anything, which attracted bullies a lot and people treating me awfully. It was literally brutal to the point I just cried every day and felt very depressed during my high school years. I told my parents that I wanted to get homeschooled or go to a private school, they said no and they insisted on trying to mainstreaming me. I think if kids were a little nicer back then, I would have actually worried about my priorities. But now I am in college, I have more self esteem then I do compare to high school, I get along much better with my peers, I am actually worrying to get the best grades possible, and I must say I am amazed with the progress I made.

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2010, 11:36 am

I think all the stress and being depressed from being in a mainstream public school around thousands of kids may have screwed with my ability to keep up the good grades. It's funny really, I was the top student in my elementary classes, got all the awards...then going on to middle and high school my grades started to drop. Not to the point of failing, but they were not honor roll material....more like "average student" material. I felt like an idiot of idiots barely getting through Calculus and algebra and all those complicated subjects, no it wasn't easy but I felt I should have done better.

I guess a 2.9 GPA after finishing high school is not bad, but even to this day I wonder what it was that held me back from my true potential. Still can't figure it out and still am undecided as to whether or not I should go back to college but I just don't feel like I could go through (goal is a degree in computer science at least, which requires the same math that was a pain in the rear for me). Don't know if it was a learning disability of sorts or what.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:06 pm

I think that learning disabilities can come with ASD, but they're not intrinsically part of them.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:47 pm

Speckles wrote:
High school math made no sense to me - I had to retake grade 12 three times :cry: . Then first year university I get an 86% in calculus and a 90% in probability . It was very confusing, especially because a great deal of grade 12 math STILL doesn`t make any sense for me.

I think it`s because in university they actually connected the math to something logical like proving a theorum, instead of something random like counting beans. :scratch:

I also did much better in math in uni than in high school. After taking years of English and Psychology.....a course with right and wrong answers...objective and logical was really nice! =)

TheInfamousArgyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2010, 11:17 am

I've never had too much trouble with school.. Except I'm way more thorough than I need to be and that makes everything take much longer than it has to. Also, I've never been able to plan research papers that well.

Cranberries
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2010, 4:17 pm

I don't see how some people are interpreting that others are suggesting that AS is the disability.
Everyone has a problem with some subject, and aspies are no different.
I was in special ed for a long time and hated it. I loved to read but they thought I was too slow and my hand writing was really bad so i was put in there.

I had to prove myself of understanding literature by practically teaching my freshman special ed English class Romeo and Juliet, and that's how I got put into mainstream English.

But the other reason I was in there was because my real problem was math, numbers never really clicked to me. I seriously do not get it at all. Math has no meaning in my brain. Sure I was able to learn to add and subtract, but even that takes forever to do, it's very painful for me to do it. I can't even remember multiplication.

Then there's multi-step problems, teachers have tried to drill that into my mind, but I could never fully understand the concept. It's not that I was lazy, I wanted to learn, but I just didn't get at all. And it's only a stereotype that aspies are good with math, a pretty lousy one too. :roll:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:49 am

I have dysgrapia and dyscalcula and possibly dyslexia as well.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2010, 2:36 am

eagletalon86 wrote:
I think all the stress and being depressed from being in a mainstream public school around thousands of kids may have screwed with my ability to keep up the good grades. It's funny really, I was the top student in my elementary classes, got all the awards...then going on to middle and high school my grades started to drop. Not to the point of failing, but they were not honor roll material....more like "average student" material. I felt like an idiot of idiots barely getting through Calculus and algebra and all those complicated subjects, no it wasn't easy but I felt I should have done better.

I guess a 2.9 GPA after finishing high school is not bad, but even to this day I wonder what it was that held me back from my true potential. Still can't figure it out and still am undecided as to whether or not I should go back to college but I just don't feel like I could go through (goal is a degree in computer science at least, which requires the same math that was a pain in the rear for me). Don't know if it was a learning disability of sorts or what.

I totally feel your pain, but my situation was much worse, I was a 3.3-3.4 GPA student from K to 7th grade, started to slip in the 8th grade and got worse in high school. I got Ds and Fs in Mainstream classes, then had to be put in Spec. Ed. classes. I was also super stressed in high school, came close to contemplating dropping out, also had suicidal thoughts (no lie) and suffered the most severe forms of depression back in high school. I even came close to getting arrested twice for shoplifting too (I am not proud of this though). But I guess I started community college, messed up 4 semesters because when I was supposed to be studying, I would go out with my friends too much. For the 1st time in my life in many years, I actually tried, got A's, B's and C's on my report card and got almost a 3.0 GPA. But I know I need to get much better grades then that and I want to get a 3.7+ transferrable GPA, I won't go any lower then a 3.5 transfferable GPA though. I made some mistakes, but I know clearly what I did wrong and how I will not repeat those mistakes again.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

I am good at maths, I almost got an A* in my GCSE, but I don't like it and find it stressful. This causes stress, meltdowns and makes it even more unlikely that the problem will be solved. I had no confidence. When it was being explained it felt like my mind was going blank. I can do simple things and I love numbers, dates, years etc but usually cannot do formulaic stuff without help.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 1:52 am

Mine is pretty severe according to what I read in my IEP from when I was 9 years old. I always thought it was mild because I can read very well and write. I don't have any specific learning disability. It's just LD-NOS because of the way I learn and I am very concrete and I had to get extra help in school so I could pass.

But maybe that person who wrote how bad mine is could have been talking about other things like how I get along with the other kids and relate to them and my social skills and how I act in class and following the rules and how well I adjust to change. Back then I didn't even need extra help with my school work and I was doing it on my own but I was always the last person to get it done and always had tons of homework because of my ADD. It was when I got older I started to struggle with my school work because it started to get abstract and it just got harder. Then by 7th grade, I pretty much needed help with everything. Plus I had meltdowns and got stressed out due to anxiety.

ajlposh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2010, 7:23 am

Yes yes yes yes. School has been hard for me pretty much all my life. I'm in my first year of college right now. My mom and dad usually have helped me with homework and studying for tests. I try really hard, but my grades don't often reflect that.

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2010, 1:04 am

I was good with geometry because we played with shapes and actually had a picture to work from. I was a visual learner in school and I had a hard time concentrating which made it hard for me to learn. I did very well in art and video class though. But that was hands on visual stuff. Most times I spaced out.