Pursuing a career at age 30? I appreciate your help!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2008, 1:06 am

Hello everyone. I'm Brian, a 30yrs old male from Argentina. I'm self diagnosed, last year. I always knew there was something different about me. I have this strong desire to improve myself clashing constantly with my sensory issues and my odd habits. I work with my family, they own a Clothing factory. I have a decent life and they supported me all these years. But I guess they were very indulgent and compassionate with me.

I desperately crave for financial freedom. Or at least a job on my own. I never had a single real job. And I know It would be very hard to keep one, even If I manage to get it.

I went to college twice. There is free and public education here. They accept everyone. But I quitted. Stress was unbearable.
1st time I went to law school. I have this stronge sense of justice and a very good wrote memory.
2nd time I went to Tech School. I live around computers since I was 8 years old. Same stress coping problems.

I was about to quit all my dreams. But now that I know I'm just different I want to take another shot at it. I don't want to be a loser. I want the best out of my limits.

Now I don't know what to do. I have the willpower. But like I said. I failed twice. Mom and dad won't live forever. I want to let them know I'll just fine on my own.

This time I think it could be different because I'll try to help myself. I thought about going back to Law School, but I don't know If I could fit in that kind of culture. I'm a warrior, I think we all are used to stay on fighting.
I also considered going to Business school. I was a flawless accountant during high school. But those choices put me into a job scenario. And I don't know If I could become a good professional. There's stiff competition. In Argentina you can't expect a good salary in other career paths. Unless you are a good manager and you own a factory.
My last choice was to stay out of University and start a Freelance Graphic/web designer, Fine arts online. The economy in Argentina is very unstable. It happens to go default every 10 years. And salaries aren't good. Median salaries are low. Money is all around agriculture and very small factories. Nowadays our currency is devaluated 3 to 1. But everything is really expensive because the prices are dollar fixed. That could help me to get some jobs online. But I don't know If americans would be willing to hire me. Or If I can make a good income. If I could get 30k a year I could dream about buying a house and having a family on my own in the next 10 years.
I'm really looking for tomorrow.
I appreciate your time and your opinions will be taken with optimism.

Thanks!!

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:43 am

It is never too late to go back to school and get an education. Just remember, nothing attempted...nothing gained.

Have you considered relocating to the USA where the college and universities are exceptional? That is what so many young people do from foreign countries and then, they return home with the exceptional skills they need to survive in their home economies.

Best of luck to you!

Roark
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2008, 4:31 pm

you sound like me

I did very well through undergraduate, then dropped out of law school - twice. Had a few unsuccessful jobs and lived with my parents for 5 years out of my 20s.

I decided to go back to law school at 32. I am mature enough now, I know this is my last good chance to get back into the successful track in life, and I am doing everything in my power to make sure I succeed. This includes focusing on the transactional side of law where the ability to read people is less important.

Every time I start to get upset and fall into that rut of depression and giving up, I remind myself I have no other options. My parents said I can't go back there, and even though they would probably take me in if the alternative was being homeless, I don't want to go back. I had a really dark patch in February, but I went to see my psychiatrist and pulled through it.

Just graduating and having the degree will be very helpful for the rest of my life in finding jobs even if I don't practice law. I highly encourage you to get a professional degree. Like me you already tried and failed twice. So you know the signs to look for when you start to slip, and then you can go get help and recover before it is too late.

Good luck

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2008, 1:07 am

Zsazsa wrote:
Have you considered relocating to the USA where the college and universities are exceptional? That is what so many young people do from foreign countries and then, they return home with the exceptional skills they need to survive in their home economies.

Do you know any cheap ways?
I know people who did post graduate degrees at top tier american universities and I might myself one day but I think that generally costs money. Had I known a cheap way I'd have done my undergraduate degree there already.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 4:07 am

hazlo, pero algo que te guste, lo demás se dará por sí solo :)

Have you thought about doing designs for clothes?

I entered school at 26, and I'm very happy, it took me long to have some guts, but now I'm so glad of my decision :)
What did you find stressful in law and tech school?
Also, keep in mind that when you work, in many careers you'll need to talk with lots of people, which I find tiring.

bienvenido a WP, cualquier cosa no dudes en enviarme un PM (mensaje)

Psywren
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2015, 10:13 am

Hey Brian, I'm in the same boat as you it seems. I was only diagnosed a year ago (aged 31), and I have recently started studying at university. I had, like you previously failed at education despite good marks. I am now doing BA(hons) in history via my pc. Studying at home is the only way things would work for me, its still a lot of stress, but I'm developing ways of coping as I go. 8)

It is possible for you to succeed, it will require some dedication, and possibly some attention to your stress issues. Perhaps develop some effective coping mechanisms and use them regularly. I am of course aware that your life is much more complicated than just this advice, but I do think that success in education is possible.
:D
Best of luck

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 10:19 am

I went to college at the "normal" time and did well, but dropped out of my first love (music composition) to do something else. I was too timid at the time to pursue what I really loved and it stressed me out very much. I am almost 40 now, and am back in school to study music composition. My kids are close to grown now, and I will have time when they are off on their own to pursue what I want to a greater degree.

The average lifespan now means that someone starting a new career even at 40 could work for decades in that field. I know someone who went to med school at 40. 30 is not too old to try again! My advice is to find out what you really love and go for it. Being a little more grown up helps with the confidence, which helps with the stress.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:06 am

It seems to me that you're doing really well, Nerdygirl.

I haven't seen you in a while!

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It seems to me that you're doing really well, Nerdygirl.

I haven't seen you in a while!

Haven't heard from you in a while, Kraftie! Hope all is well!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 11:38 am

It's never too late and a person is never too old to do something for the first time, start something new, try something different, go back into education or start a new career.

Every age of our lives, we tend to think "Yikes, I'm kind of too old now..."

But a few years go by and later on we look back and tend to have this revelation "Wow...back at that age, I actually wasn't "old" at all....I was still young enough for {fill in the blank}"

It's very human to make the mistake of thinking it's too late, you're too old, and the reality is, you never really are, for most purposes. I've known a 90 year old who was still trying new things, and retirees who decided to start e-bay businesses, a whole new launch into a whole new career after 60.

So at around 30 you definitely have plenty of time to do things with your life.