Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:44 pm

I don't like mac and cheese eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:54 am

I make mine from scratch, with egg and condensed milk, powdered mustard, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, ground basil, salt, pepper, butter and sharp Tillamook cheese. I can make it in the amount of time it takes the water to boil, so it's not all that much harder than the blue box, but I could (and have) serve mine to guests. I make mine a tad on the spicy side, since I feel that the hot pepper cuts the richness. I started with a cookbook recipe, but my version has since taken on considerable revisions. Coincidentally, I ate it for dinner tonight.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 4:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
I make mine from scratch, with egg and condensed milk, powdered mustard, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, ground basil, salt, pepper, butter and sharp Tillamook cheese. I can make it in the amount of time it takes the water to boil, so it's not all that much harder than the blue box, but I could (and have) serve mine to guests. I make mine a tad on the spicy side, since I feel that the hot pepper cuts the richness. I started with a cookbook recipe, but my version has since taken on considerable revisions. Coincidentally, I ate it for dinner tonight.

Sounds good. You should sell your recipe to the big companies who produce mac & cheese.

CrimsonEdge
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 4:33 am

I like it with cracked pepper on it.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 4:43 am

Pepper? I didn't realize that so many people liked pepper on their mac & cheese. In fact, I've never even heard of people putting it on before...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 6:54 am

pat666rick wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Sounds good. You should sell your recipe to the big companies who produce mac & cheese.

I is good :lol: . I doubt it would survive being dehydrated and boxed though. It's actually kind of finicky even to reheat, you need to add a little water to it and microwave it for a little bit at a time, stirring between nukings. I've often though it would make a good restaurant dish, though it might be too filling.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:32 am

I like mine with tuna, lots of parmesan cheese, a little bit of salt, and extra butter. :D Delicious!

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:07 am

I just like it as is. Maybe with some Tabasco on it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:11 am

I throw away the powdered cheese, chop up some hot dogs, and melt Swiss cheese on it.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 9:14 am

my mom make mac and cheese with cheddar and jack, but she also adds velveeta in there, and sausage or ham for some protein.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:17 am

Macaroni & cheese makes me want to vomit. I can't stand it.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 10:30 am

I am a pro when it comes to KD, I hate when other people, like a new girlfriend makes it, too f&@ing watery.
I make sure the noodles are al dente not to soft, then in a sauce pan I make the sauce, it has to be creamy
with no lumps, I only use a tablespoon of butter, margarine makes the sauce smell nasty, I will also saute
sweet onion, walla walla are the best, I only make 1/4 cup, then I stir the noodles in, and add freshly ground
peppercorns. one variation I make is using crumbled bacon, which aways takes it up a notch.
Bachelor Chow at its finest

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:32 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Pepper?

For me, just about everything that gets salt also gets a good dose of pepper.

Lunar-Lander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2008, 3:44 pm

Has to be the actual Kraft m&c, then adding ketchup as I eat. No "brand X" as the noodles lack firmness and are too mushy and fall apart.

LL

instead of hanging out in bars.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2008, 3:57 pm

I am going to have to try that recipe, Dox47. That sounds fabulous!

I'll eat the boxed stuff but I always mix the cheese packet with sour cream instead of milk and butter. It makes it extra creamy, which I love. And I prefer white cheese to the yellow. (This goes for real cheese as well as the powder stuff.)

Whole Foods had a recipe once that was TO DIE FOR. Cavatappi noodles, 5 different cheeses, and some fresh bread crumbs sprinkled on top. FANTASTIC. I don't remember the spices it had, or all of the cheeses, and I can't find the recipe anywhere which is really depressing!

I remember some of the cheeses were asiago, parmesan, cheddar, and romano. I can't remember the last one. Maybe Colby or Monterrey Jack?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

04 May 2008, 10:55 pm

I just fixed Macaroni and cheese. 50/50 Tilamook sharp cheddar and jack cheese. Black forest ham chopped at 3/8" cubes, all mixed together and microwaved for 4 additional minutes at 60%. It is delicious.