Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 5:14 am

Sexist Songs I Hate--
I could never figure out how so many sexist songs became popular.

Ok so like these are from the sixties - I am not up on current stuff

Johnny Get Angry - ya, like prove you love me by getting jealous that sure is a great way to have a relationship

It's My Party -- If the guy can't be loyal to you then why the hell would you be so desparte to want him

Take A Letter Maria - workaholic, looses wife, hits on secretary -mmm call me in a year when you get your s**t together

Mandy - Honey I would not be waiting around pineing for you -you sterotypical sailor

The Wanderer - get laid as much as possible - way to commit

I Can't Stop - You go around hitting on every woman and want me to sit home and wait for you to out grow your adolecent fantasies

Beast of Burdon - So what you are saying is your not going to get a job and help out around the house but you want me to just have sex with you, like that is going to happen

Do people actually buy into this stuff?

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Batman1992
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2008, 12:57 pm

people go for what sells....that's why there are more sad stories on the news than happy ones. It's a running joke between my mom and I, where I'll ask her "What doom and gloom was on Fox News today?" and she'll laugh.

'Till then, I walk alone

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 1:22 pm

Anyone ever heard of These songs? :

Guns n' Roses: used to love her(but I had to kill her)

Geto Boys: this dick is for you

Cannibal Corpse: stripped raped and strangled, f*cked with a knife

N.W.A.: one less b***h

faiuwle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2008, 3:14 pm

Well, not all songs are meant to portray the imagined singer as a good person; some of them are ironic or parodies. I haven't heard the vast majority of the ones listed, though, so I can't if they are or not. Beast of Burden does annoy me though.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 4:19 pm

Love, if you get offended by sexist messages of those songs, don't listen to them. Simple as. Most people don't listen to stuff that offends them.

D1nk0 wrote:

Haha. Good choice, though I wouldn't pick that one for this thread. I'd go for 'Automobile,' personally.

"You don't have ta front on me b***h..."

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 4:28 pm

I used to get pissed off at anything I regarded as sexist in music, which kept me away from a lot of good music. Now it's something I kind of gloss over. If the singer is clearly bigoted I might consider not financially supporting them, but that's the limit with me.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:53 pm

D1nk0 wrote:

no, but I heard of their "A b***h is a b***h" song.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 10:37 pm

First of all, most of these songs are not meant to be taken seriously. But more importantly:

These sexist themes have very deep roots. Rock and Roll is based on Blues. Blues came from country/folk + music used in church services + traditional African music + some Native American influence and even some classical influence. The lyrics draw on folk music traditions going back to ancient times, filtered through a 20th century perspective. You'd be surprised how much popular music just recycles the same basic ideas that have been sung about for thousands of years.

Personally, I think that music reflects society just like other forms of expression. If you don't like sexist songs, don't listen to the radio, find some non-sexist music, write your own non-sexist music, or try to make society less sexist . . . whatever works for you.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2008, 11:50 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
Cannibal Corpse: stripped raped and strangled, f*cked with a knife
oh yea and entrails riped from *coughing fit* ... never mind

there is anal c**t though i think thats on the misogyny side of things with songs like 'women- nature's punching bag'

lyrics are often written for effect rather than to present a view or whatever, they usually cant be looked at like a piece of writing

though i think your over reacting a bit

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 4:34 am

Quote:
These sexist themes have very deep roots. Rock and Roll is based on Blues. Blues came from country/folk + music used in church services + traditional African music + some Native American influence and even some classical influence.

I totally agree with you. I know a lot about Blues history and my favorite music is 20's to 40's Female Blues singers and any and all Blues. Mostly Delta and Chicago as well. Songs must refect society or there would be no music or art of any kind. "Stack O' Lee" "Me and my Chauffeur" " In my Girlish Days" "He Treats me Like a Dog" - have huge value. I don't drink, but love the drinking Blues "I ain't Drunk I'm just Drinking" "Blues and Booze" "Sloppy Drunk Blues". I'm not Christian but love gospel and "Soul of a Man" "When I Lay My Burden Down". Oh, hell, there is so much, I get excited and could go on for hours. -- Gonna have to take some blues cd's with me to work today now.

It is the bubblegum, pop music that continues to perptuate the vision of victim. or the modern stuff that uses shock value.

These were just songs that come on the radio we play at work that I wish would just stop being played. We all have songs that irritate us.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 9:33 pm

Yeah, I can't stand modern radio music either! It's so irritating and vapid.

The history of American music is easy to obsess over! Today, people think of blues as sad music, but a lot of the early blues was meant for parties, and the lyrics were meant to be funny - double entendres and other kinds of dirty jokes and humorously exaggerated stories. And that was based on a much older folk song tradition.

Today, the same themes, even the same exact lines, still survive in popular music, but in some cases, people have forgotten that it was meant to be a joke, or the lines are taken out of context so the joke doesn't work anymore. And then it's marketed as though it's a serious sexist statement - set to crappy music. Ugh. :?

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 11:14 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
First of all, most of these songs are not meant to be taken seriously. But more importantly:

These sexist themes have very deep roots. Rock and Roll is based on Blues. Blues came from country/folk + music used in church services + traditional African music + some Native American influence and even some classical influence. The lyrics draw on folk music traditions going back to ancient times, filtered through a 20th century perspective. You'd be surprised how much popular music just recycles the same basic ideas that have been sung about for thousands of years.

Personally, I think that music reflects society just like other forms of expression. If you don't like sexist songs, don't listen to the radio, find some non-sexist music, write your own non-sexist music, or try to make society less sexist . . . whatever works for you.

Im not entirely convinced that Rock Music is derived exclusively from Jazz and Blues though EvilKimEvil :wink: . But you're right most of popular music is really just about *love*,sex(AND drugs). I try to find bands that sing about NONE of those things.

I would like to point out though that the harmonies of African Music are uncannily similar to Western Muisc even though the rythms are very different. Personally I like Asian Music the best of all.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 10:53 am

Warsie wrote:
D1nk0 wrote:

Although, as Cube says in the song... people (not saying you specifically cause I dunno if you have) need to listen to the song really before they judge it based on the title. He's not using 'b***h' to mean 'women.' He's using 'b***h' to mean... well, a b***h. Someone you wouldn't like! If the song was called 'an as*hole is an as*hole,' it wouldn't have been considered being against ALL men.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 12:13 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
Warsie wrote:
D1nk0 wrote:

Although, as Cube says in the song... people (not saying you specifically cause I dunno if you have) need to listen to the song really before they judge it based on the title. He's not using 'b***h' to mean 'women.' He's using 'b***h' to mean... well, a b***h. Someone you wouldn't like! If the song was called 'an as*hole is an as*hole,' it wouldn't have been considered being against ALL men.

How about "Murder Avenue" by the Get Boys? :P

And let us not forget Cannibal Corpses "Adicted to Vaginal Skin" :lol:

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 12:20 pm

Sexist song I don't like:

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

There's another song that I hate that's not really sexist but it's about settling;

I don't know it's name but it goes like this, "If you can't be with the one you love honey, love the one you're with"

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 10:40 am

"Crank That" by Soulja Boy.

I absolutely hate that song with the passion of a thousand praying nuns.