Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:32 pm

I'm buying a laptop. Does Dual Core T2370 vs Core 2 Duo matter, and why?

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:46 pm

The T2370 is still branded as Pentium, which is to C2D what Celeron was to Pentium (according to Intel's marketing strategy). So in other words it's nowhere near as good as a C2D.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:53 pm

I see. Thank you, you've helped me make a decision!

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 2:57 pm

Mikomi wrote:
I'm buying a laptop. Does Dual Core T2370 vs Core 2 Duo matter, and why?

Well it is variable but you buying a laptop in this case, you want to get Core 2 Duo because it is more energy saving. Core 2 Duo beat it older version of dual core and the AMD rival dual core for this matter.

Plus....

I suggest to upgrade your hard drive to a SSD Solid State Drive. This used viritually almost no energy when doing things in your hard drive like playing music, transfering data, and writing something in it. You can get the Samsung Smart Drive which make take little more energy but it may be cheaper and bigger hard drive.

If you wait longer you can get the Silver Silicon (something what it called that rival the 6 cells technology) battery that last 30% more than 6 cell battery.

The smaller screen laptop are definitely less power in take compare to big screen laptop. Choose your screen size wisely!

You should also get intergreted Wi-Fi which you can hijack open wireless router for free internet and if you can afford $80 a month service with At&t for unlimited access to 3G network internet which is sufficient for browsing.

The key is energy efficient when running around laptop and operating in remotely.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 7:04 pm

SSDs are extremely expensive at the moment compared to hard drives of similar capacities, and in real world tests have not been found to significantly reduce power consumption, contrary to popular belief. IMHO it is not worth getting a SSD until prices significantly drop. It may take a few more years for SSDs to become an affordable option.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 9:59 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
SSDs are extremely expensive at the moment compared to hard drives of similar capacities, and in real world tests have not been found to significantly reduce power consumption, contrary to popular belief. IMHO it is not worth getting a SSD until prices significantly drop. It may take a few more years for SSDs to become an affordable option.

They're fast though.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 10:31 pm

SSD's, being largely the same as your average USB drive on a larger scale, also suffer the problem that flash memory suffers; it degrades after a couple million write operations.