Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ciounoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 May 2008, 11:03 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum or anything, but here goes... some advice, please? :-)

One of my Asperger-y traits is that I'm very, very sensitive to people touching me. This poses a problem when I go to the doctors more often than not, because I freak out! To use the example of the eye doctor- Whenever I go to get an eye exam the doctor has to hold my eyes open to stick in the drops... but if he even touches my eyes I start squirming. It usually ends in me involuntarily kicking and screaming... seriously. I steal myself, I try not to do it, I try to think of other things, but it's really quite involuntary. I don't feel fear or anything, I just end up screaming my head off anyway. ><

Anyway, I have an upcoming visit to the "potty doctor" for problems with incontinence. I went there once before and they were unable to finish anything. I was very uncomfortable with anyone (man/woman/relative/stranger) trying to touch the nether regions... needless to say I ended up screaming, crying, etc. Still not really afraid that anything was going to hurt me, again, just reacted oddly. They sent me off and told me to come back in a few weeks and to take some Xanax before the visit. >< I don't think this is going to work very well, considering I don't have any anxiety about all this, and I don't think it's going to negate the knee-jerk reaction.

Any ideas as to how I can deal with this? I'm really at a loss...

PinkieOfDoom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2008, 11:13 pm

I have had to learn to not react to being touched and I've talked to people about being touched. I can tolerate hugs and normally I initiate them myself, but having someone just pt their hand on my should or even tap me bothers me. I've only had to talk to two people about it really, although my dad is not one of those two and he does it a lot (tapping my arm or shoulder).

You should tell them that you're sensitive do they can try to figure out how to approach it.