Anyone else muddle up feelings of touch, pressure and pain?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 6:17 am

Following on from the Aspergers and pain thread...

Is there such a thing as synesthesia where the sensations of touch, pressure and pain are a bit muddled together? If so is this related to Aspergers?

I ask because it just occurred to me from the other thread because I can chose not to feel pain in some circumstances. Pain sometimes has an ambiguous sensation about it and I can't tell it clearly apart from the sensation of pressure, or I can sort of "choose" which sensation to feel.

Quoting my posting from the other thread:
"Both yes and no. There have been times in my life when a simple touch was painful. I've also lived with chronic pain in my neck due to nerve compression which took a lot of pain killers to make manageable. A simple sneeze while in that condition made me swear out loud with agony - which got me some very strange looks from strangers.

However, on the other side I can chose not to feel pain to certain parts of my body if I'm expecting it. A number of years ago my friends didn't believe me and I allowed them to burn a freshly lit cigarette right down to the stub while pressed against the back of my hand. While I chose not to feel the pain, the stunt wasn't worth it as they'd actually burnt a hole right through my skin and into the tendons. It took many months for the hole to heal and I still have a scar to this day. It was a pretty dumb thing to allow them to do."

toby2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2008, 6:59 am

some times i can realy hurt myself say when working and kind of ignore the pain, knowing i have to get on with me task,
other times i go crazy usualy telling myself that was a stupid thing to do, but yes i seem to be able to block pain out
if some one touches me it normaly feels like an electric shock 8O , i hate being touched :cry: ....

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 7:45 am

toby2 wrote:
if some one touches me it normaly feels like an electric shock 8O , i hate being touched :cry: ....

I don't get a sensation like that with my arms or head, but do with my abdomen and thighs which thankfully people don't generally touch! However if my wife touches me in those places accidentally the sensation is similar to an electric shock. I'd describe it more as though my skin was literally screaming at me - it is like a massive overload of stimulation that is too much to bear. This makes me leap away in a reflex action. Comparing it to the other senses, sound can be so loud it is painful, light can be so bright it can be painful and touch can be too ???? I don't think there is a word for it?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 7:57 am

Bad reception topic

Mu proprioreceptors are really off, along with light touch sensory issues.
:eew:

Tallyman, I like your avatar. sort of like a "tongue in cheek" graphic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, or Charlie Brown amalgamized with Easy Rider's Dennis Hopper. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 9:31 am

yes,
there is something called sensory jumbling/scrambling and is common in classic autism,it should be the same for as though maybe not so much on the same level.
example--one sensory attack...someone lightly brushing past bare skin [tactile],can cause another sense to fail or get messy-for example-vision might disappear or distort=one sense can cause a reaction from the wrong sense.

it sounds like have a atypical pain threshold,as are able to feel some pain,but not others-this is atypical pain threshold.
am have accute sensory jumbling as well as atypical pain threshold-feel no pain on outside of body,but do feel things on inside like migraine and trigeminal neuralgia [which is a nerve problem to].
the atypical type is probably the worst as people always expect a pain threshold to be either one way or another,with no mix,very difficult to get understanding.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:39 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
it sounds like have a atypical pain threshold,as are able to feel some pain,but not others-this is atypical pain threshold.
am have accute sensory jumbling as well as atypical pain threshold-feel no pain on outside of body,but do feel things on inside like migraine and trigeminal neuralgia [which is a nerve problem to].
the atypical type is probably the worst as people always expect a pain threshold to be either one way or another,with no mix,very difficult to get understanding.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm still getting those "Aha" moments when things throughout my life are now dropping into place since discovering I very likely have Aspergers. I'm "only" self diagnosed by the various tests, but my scores are quite strongly atypical and say "Aspergers". When I was a child there was no such thing as "Aspergers" only naughty children and I was treated accordingly. Getting professional diagnosis for me at my age now is just not worth the cost and trouble (language barrier - I'm not fluent in French yet).

I too get trigeminal neuralgia. I've had it as long as I can remember, but thankfully it only hits me every few months, completely unexpected. It's like an SAS raid - hits me with everything it's got and hurts like hell for a few seconds then its completely gone. It sometimes then repeats a few times over a few days then nothing again for several more months. It can be quite embarrassing if you are talking in public with strangers (e.g. a business meeting) then suddenly start saying aloud "Ouch, ouch, ouch!" while hanging on to your jaw with both hands. Then trying to carry on talking normally like nothing happened :?

sim
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 1:35 pm

Whenever I'm unexpectedly touched in a ceratin area, I feel tinges of 'whiteness' in that area. It's terrible. I'm not sure how relevant this is to the topic, but I can ignore pain if I want. That's with intense focus though. I can tear bits of skin off and watch my arm bleed without a single twitch.

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2008, 2:59 pm

I think it has more to due with what is taking place. If your the cause of the pain, it may seem more minor then if someone caused you to get it.
A good example is my brother. When he was younger he'd cry if someone caused him enough pain. but when he fell of you garage roof, bouned of the slide and hit the ground, not a thing.

Another thing is like you mentioned just sucking it up, which can be easier with adreniline. You know about the Beserker's, certain Viking warriors. Before battle they would get all hyped up, both mentally and with some influence from alchol. Some have been known to lose an arm and continue to fight, when it was all other they would drop down and die.