News story Autism Linked to Parents' Mental Illness

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 5:43 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
It's talking about our parents, not us, having mental disorders.

Sorry "Ravenclawgurl" post does not the one I was talking about.. but as has been said previously lots of people were wrongly diagnosed and feel it should say if your parents are not stero typical then you are more likely to be a unique individual :wink:

Just like some mental disorders, autism is so misunderstood and still not enough is know, so all discussions and views are good to help open up the unsaid.

Is it a mental disorder if you were born different, we all have a right to be who we were born to be and after all:
Quote: "What is madness but nobility of soul at odds with circumstance?"
– Theodore Roethke (1908 - 1963),

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 5:52 pm

It's talking about some parents.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 6:37 pm

Thank you for posting this. I've seen many articles linking the morphology of schizophrenia and autism, so this comes as no surprise. I think in the future they may find some of the same genes are responsible for both.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 6:48 pm

Whatever our differences and who ever we are, should anyone judge...

I grow up with a mother at odds in this world, no one really discovered if she was "mentally ill" or maybe on the "autism spectrum" less know back then. But she was never happy in this world and that was partly because she never understood or was allowed to understand herself and because of prejudice of others...

I was hated because of my mothers differences and because I was so misunderstood myself. Thats why I feel its vital these sort of discussions take place, to allow progress.

I know some amazing people with schizophrenia but sadly you only seem to hear bad, when quite often so many of them achieve so much in this world.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 7:07 pm

I just noticed after reading through the rest of the responses how offended people are that they might POSSIBLY have any genes that would connect them to schizophrenia, GOD FORBID!

Come on people, you have as much right to spit on schizophrenics for their illness as you would insult other autistics. It's genetic, and whether you're autistic or schizophrenic, you're just out in the world doing the best you can with the genes you were given. I am not at all ashamed to have relatives that are bipolar and schizophrenic, and although I was personally relieved to find out I just had HFA, I would hope my husband would not have divorced me and run like I had the plague if I would have turned out to have schizophrenia instead.

What's next, autism gets linked to red hair and everyone's like GOD NO! THAR BE NO GINGER KIDS in MY GENEPOOL!

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 12:10 am

MageI totally agree with you whatever our symptoms, who ever we are thats apart of us...

To me autism is a big web in the centre with all the associated conditions around like OCD, anxiety, ADHD, Dyslexia, Bipolar etc.. and we all seem to have some of these, so must be some link.

The article I linked did say that genetics is not just the reason, other factors like the way we are treated comes into how we are affected later in life.

Who wouldn't go on to get some sort of associated mental disorder if not allowed to be who you are from birth, excluded from society as we grow up - does make you wonder!

mariposa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2008, 12:23 am

I think the root of the angst with this is that parents are worried about being accused by friends and family of "causing" their child's autism by having a history of mental illness. I know that the researchers were saying that this research will help direct future research into heritable forms of autism, but I dread my IN-LAWS misconstruing the study and saying, "There, see. It's your fault. And you must be mentally ill."

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 2:18 am

Mage wrote:
I just noticed after reading through the rest of the responses how offended people are that they might POSSIBLY have any genes that would connect them to schizophrenia, GOD FORBID!

Come on people, you have as much right to spit on schizophrenics for their illness as you would insult other autistics. It's genetic, and whether you're autistic or schizophrenic, you're just out in the world doing the best you can with the genes you were given. I am not at all ashamed to have relatives that are bipolar and schizophrenic, and although I was personally relieved to find out I just had HFA, I would hope my husband would not have divorced me and run like I had the plague if I would have turned out to have schizophrenia instead.

What's next, autism gets linked to red hair and everyone's like GOD NO! THAR BE NO GINGER KIDS in MY GENEPOOL!

It's not like that at all. What annoys me is the way it's misconstrued in various re-writes of what I assume is the press release so it makes out that ALL autistic spectrum kids have parents with mental problems, and that that could be taken as meaning:
1 - The parents are to blame
2 - Make the parents feel guilty
3 - Have the kids taken into care as authorities suddenly fear the parents are the cause and have problems themselves so are unfit for raising children
4 - Discrimination against parents, whether they have anything wrong with them or not

etc

I have a lot of Aspergers through my family, which I happily admit - it doesn't bother me in the slightest - but there is nothing wrong with my parents, they're both NT as anything and definitely not on the spectrum or affected by anything else. I'd hate them to be discriminated against or blamed for my quirks or thought to have mental problems thanks to a misreported news article.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 2:56 am

Quote:
It's not like that at all. What annoys me is the way it's misconstrued in various re-writes of what I assume is the press release so it makes out that ALL autistic spectrum kids have parents with mental problems

The density of lead. The Reuters release made no such claim. It followed the paper very clearly.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 6:21 pm

Based on what I have read about AS . It runs in families, and if one member has AS then other members might as well. I am not surprised , for both my sister and mother are unstable and have shown signs of possible AS.