Poll on neurotypical recognition of Autist emotions

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Have you had neurotypicals mislabel your emotions?
Poll ended at 13 May 2008, 2:10 pm
Often 71%  71%  [ 42 ]
Occasionally 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Rarely 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Never 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 59

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:23 pm

I frequently am asked "Are you OK"? ???

People think I am angry when I'm not. This happens at work. When I told a higher-up that I had Asperger's, she replied, "Oh, you should tell "Zelda". She thinks you're angry with her". But she (the higher-up) was aware of Asperger's, and noted, "That explains a lot, since you can't read faces". That was some relief, but I also wondered who was misreading who.

People think I overreact.

I am repeatedly asked to smile. I had a local Irish pub owner tell me that a European woman would tell someone to go to hell it that were said to her, but that's American culture.

Many people, usually women, take an obvious, instant, strong dislike to me, and are hateful and sarcastic from their first interactions with me. I am at a loss as to what causes this. These same people tend to bully me.

I can't tell when people are telling the truth.

I freeze when confronted with anger and am not able to fight back. This got me raped.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2008, 4:18 pm

YowlingCat wrote:

I hear this, a lot.

YowlingCat wrote:
Many people, usually women, take an obvious, instant, strong dislike to me, and are hateful and sarcastic from their first interactions with me. I am at a loss as to what causes this. These same people tend to bully me.

Same here!

[quote="YowlingCat"I can't tell when people are telling the truth.[/quote]

I freeze when confronted with anger and am not able to fight back. This got me raped.[/quote]

Unfortunately, same here!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 12:19 am

hartzofspace wrote:
YowlingCat wrote:

I hear this, a lot.

YowlingCat wrote:

Same here!

YowlingCat wrote:

I freeze when confronted with anger and am not able to fight back. This got me raped.

hartzofspace wrote:
Unfortunately, same here!

ooh! ok. so that is what happens? I thought I must be wanting the sex because I didn't fight back, I never considered I couldn'tmove, I just know that I didn't move. WTF??? oh my goodness. . .I didn't even figure that out! wow. thanks, girls. now I know.

Merle

NoriMori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2008, 12:18 am

What has often happened to me is:

thoughtful, mislabelled as either angry, sad, or generally in a bad mood

This happens ALL THE TIME. Because when I'm thinking hard, my brow furrows and my eyes glaze over, making me either look irritated or depressed. Often I'm thinking so hard that I don't even realize it -- I have no time to think about how my face looks!

In fact, in elementary school a lot of the teachers couldn't help but notice that I had problems with social skills. So one day, in grade eight, when I couldn't find any of my friends, I just sat in the corner of a wall outside during recess, and I started daydreaming. But then my math teacher saw me, registered my face as sad, and came up to me and said, "You know, in high school, students are a lot more mature. And it'll be a lot easier to meet people you can relate to," or something like that. And then she walked away. She didn't even ask what was on my mind! So of course that made my previously neutral mood drop like a rock, as I realized that I was so much of an outcast that even my teachers were sympathetic...

-.-" Damn teachers...

NoriMori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2008, 12:27 am

YowlingCat wrote:

People think I am angry when I'm not. This happens at work. When I told a higher-up that I had Asperger's, she replied, "Oh, you should tell "Zelda". She thinks you're angry with her". But she (the higher-up) was aware of Asperger's, and noted, "That explains a lot, since you can't read faces". That was some relief, but I also wondered who was misreading who.

People think I overreact.

I am repeatedly asked to smile. I had a local Irish pub owner tell me that a European woman would tell someone to go to hell it that were said to her, but that's American culture.

I am also asked "Are you OK?" This is the typical question in the aforementioned case stated above. I also have been taking Karate for about a year and a half. For the first few months I avoided being too "happy," as I thought this would seem disrespectful, but after a while Sensei said to me, "You should smile more often!" That caught me off guard, because I thought being serious was a good thing.

cgblittlezero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2016, 1:34 pm

Yep my neutral face is often misread for as an angry face by my parents. And then they ask me too be less grumpy and they assume I'm mad that's when I actually get mad.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
AQ:42
Alexithymia Quiz = 144 (High)
PDD Assesment = 155 (Severe PDD)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 6:08 pm

I have all of the usual problems. One thing I have noticed though is autistic people are much better at reading me, I think it's because they focus more on behavior rather than facial expressions.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Alexinwonderland

24 May 2016, 9:01 pm

Im always told by my family I am being aggresive and angry just when I am trying to stick up for myself or express what I am saying.