Just one question for young earth creationists.

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: Western Australia

24 Sep 2015, 9:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The world is more than 6000 years old----end of story!
Maybe it is... but how do you know that it is?

Uniformitarianism is a speculation that cannot be reconciled with observations.



Jono
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,465
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

24 Sep 2015, 9:45 am

Oldavid wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The world is more than 6000 years old----end of story!
Maybe it is... but how do you know that it is?

Uniformitarianism is a speculation that cannot be reconciled with observations.


How can the Earth be 6000 years old if there are things on Earth which are more than 6000 years old. We know that there are even trees that are older than 6000 years, we can date them by counting the tree rings.



Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: Western Australia

24 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

Jono wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The world is more than 6000 years old----end of story!
Maybe it is... but how do you know that it is?

Uniformitarianism is a speculation that cannot be reconciled with observations.


How can the Earth be 6000 years old if there are things on Earth which are more than 6000 years old. We know that there are even trees that are older than 6000 years, we can date them by counting the tree rings.
Can you be sure that one ring always = 1 year? Can you be sure that every tree began as a seed from a tree that couldn't exist if there wasn't a tree to produce the seed that produced the tree?

Strange things found in coal and "ancient" sediments quite wreck the uniformitarian assumptions.



Jono
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,465
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

25 Sep 2015, 1:20 am

Oldavid wrote:
Jono wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The world is more than 6000 years old----end of story!
Maybe it is... but how do you know that it is?

Uniformitarianism is a speculation that cannot be reconciled with observations.


How can the Earth be 6000 years old if there are things on Earth which are more than 6000 years old. We know that there are even trees that are older than 6000 years, we can date them by counting the tree rings.
Can you be sure that one ring always = 1 year? Can you be sure that every tree began as a seed from a tree that couldn't exist if there wasn't a tree to produce the seed that produced the tree?

Strange things found in coal and "ancient" sediments quite wreck the uniformitarian assumptions.


How about the fact that with evidence from astronomy, we know that the universe is 13 billion years old. Did God put every single photon in just the right place to make the universe look 13 billion years old? Did God put all the transitional fossils in the ground just to make us think that evolution is true? Why? Is God a deceiver?



envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,102
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

25 Sep 2015, 1:25 pm

Yep, I would urge oldavid to google EGS-zs 8-1.

It is visible to us now as it looked nine billion years or so before our own Earth even came into being.


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2015
Posts: 236
Location: Britannia

25 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

I heard a fantastic quote once: "lack of evidence is not evidence". Nobody can prove that God doesn't exist, nor can his existence be proven. Therefor, nobody can scientifically argue either side.

There is a whole Earth of evidence to prove that the Earth is over 4.5 billion years old. YEC cannot be proven to be true, but it can be proven as false.


_________________
Diagnosed Aspergers, Dysthymia and Borderline Personality Disorder.
+ Empathizing Quotient is 7. Below average understanding of how other people feel.
+ Systemizing Quotient is 56. Above average ability for analysing and exploring systems.
+ Spatial Reasoning: 9/10
+ Ritvo Test: Higher than the average male with ASD (My Score 206.0; Average: 148.6).
+ Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 167 of 200
+ Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200


Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: Western Australia

01 Oct 2015, 10:32 am

There is no "evidence from astronomy" or anything else.

Look, fellas, I've seen the kidie's picture books. I've been to Primary School. I've been to University. I've seen the television picture shows like all the rest of you... but I've also seen the arguments against and I've had 40 years to think about them all.

There are also knowledgeable folk who can do the maths that prove fancy is not fact.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,547
Location: Reading, England

01 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

Oldavid wrote:
There is no "evidence from astronomy" or anything else.

Perhaps you might quibble about the use of "astronomy", but there is considerable evidence that the universe used to be a point singularity several billion years ago.



Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: Western Australia

02 Oct 2015, 4:36 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
There is no "evidence from astronomy" or anything else.

Perhaps you might quibble about the use of "astronomy", but there is considerable evidence that the universe used to be a point singularity several billion years ago.
Tell us about it. I've seen the kiddie's picture books, the wonderful sales pitches on popular TV, I've been to University doing science... but, perhaps you can jiggle or juggle the Laws of Nature to make ideological fads into facts.



neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,463
Location: London, Capital of the Un-United Kingdom

02 Oct 2015, 5:18 am

This thread is a good example supporting the argument of outlawing religion. How can this species ever improve and achieve it's full potential when it is burdened with this blinkered mindset.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,931
Location: temperate zone

02 Oct 2015, 10:12 am

Oldavid wrote:
There is no "evidence from astronomy" or anything else.

Look, fellas, I've seen the kidie's picture books. I've been to Primary School. I've been to University. I've seen the television picture shows like all the rest of you... but I've also seen the arguments against and I've had 40 years to think about them all.

There are also knowledgeable folk who can do the maths that prove fancy is not fact.


I wouldn't talk about "fancy" if I were you.

You're the one who just informed us above that: there is a magic force that causes trees to suddenly grow rings a million times faster than normal after trees reach a certain age. You didnt state that in so many words, but its the only way that your actual words would make any sense. But you make no attempt to identify what that magic force is that causes trees to suddenly act so radically different than they act now, much less prove that this force exists. So you're the one trafficking in "fancy".

And you're the one who also informed us above that there is also some other magic force that causes sediment to suddenly be dropped a million times faster than normal rate of deposition after a certain short time span. Again you dont identify this force. Again you appear to be trafficking in "fantasy".

And since you all mentioned "maths", and "astronomy": our next door neighbor is the Andromeda Galaxy which is two million light years away. If the universe were only 6000 years old why are we able to see the Andromeda Galaxy? The light from it wouldnt have reached us yet.



envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,102
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

02 Oct 2015, 11:59 am

Agree with the above. A galaxy has been discovered which is 13 billion light years away. Such distances boggle the mind!

So it existed before the Earth or our solar system did!


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 704
Location: Western Australia

08 Oct 2015, 9:08 am

This thread is a good example of censorship .

I've tried a couple of times to reply but the replies have been scuttled.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,931
Location: temperate zone

08 Oct 2015, 9:39 am

what do you mean?

Did you have to do those captcha things?

Maybe you just did them wrong.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,547
Location: Reading, England

08 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm

Oldavid wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
There is no "evidence from astronomy" or anything else.

Perhaps you might quibble about the use of "astronomy", but there is considerable evidence that the universe used to be a point singularity several billion years ago.
Tell us about it. I've seen the kiddie's picture books, the wonderful sales pitches on popular TV, I've been to University doing science... but, perhaps you can jiggle or juggle the Laws of Nature to make ideological fads into facts.


OK, so you know about redshift and cosmic microwave background radiation? Conclusive evidence that the universe is billions of years old.