Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 8:48 am

I didn't realise this was an aspie thing. I find it very hard to use buses, where i live there is a aboveground subway, which I really like because you press in a machine where you want to go, you don't need to talk to the driver and you can get off whenever.

The only trouble is sometimes I do need to get to places that I can only get to on buses. I can never work out where to go, I never can grasp my left and right and road names. When I get on the bus i never know how much money it is or how to explain where I'm going. I usually piss off the driver somehow, they expect you to say thank you but I don't want to talk to them.
I hate them when there overcrowded and how they are so unpredictable when they don't come on time and stop every single bus stop . They are help up buy people buying tickets or traffic. I really have problems with them.

The annoying thing is I need to use them :(

08 May 2008, 8:52 am

Aren't the tickets the same prices for all buses?

Here, the bus tickets are the same prices for all buses.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 08 May 2008, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 8:53 am

I refuse such.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 8:54 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Aren't the tickets the sale prices for all buses?

Here, the bus tickets are the same prices for all buses.

no not in england depends where your going, how far your going and if your going one way or return

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:00 am

Trust me, you don't want to use the busses around here. There's often gang fights on them and people getting injured and shot and stuff.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 May 2008, 9:34 am

Lightning88 wrote:
Trust me, you don't want to use the busses around here. There's often gang fights on them and people getting injured and shot and stuff.

Wow...atleast if I lived in Indiana I would have a legitimate excuse as to why I don't want to use buses. 8O

I don't like using any form of public transportation, buses being the worst. They are often early or late and overcrowded...all things that I can't handle.
As of the past 2 years, I've refused to use them.
I used to get the bus to school each morning from the time I was 10. It was noisey, there were students running around, beating eachother up and making out. I think thats a contributing factor as to why I panic everytime someone mentions..."You will need to use a bus".

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:42 am

wob182 wrote:
I didn't realise this was an aspie thing. I find it very hard to use buses, where i live there is a aboveground subway, which I really like because you press in a machine where you want to go, you don't need to talk to the driver and you can get off whenever.

The only trouble is sometimes I do need to get to places that I can only get to on buses. I can never work out where to go, I never can grasp my left and right and road names. When I get on the bus i never know how much money it is or how to explain where I'm going. I usually piss off the driver somehow, they expect you to say thank you but I don't want to talk to them.
I hate them when there overcrowded and how they are so unpredictable when they don't come on time and stop every single bus stop . They are help up buy people buying tickets or traffic. I really have problems with them.

The annoying thing is I need to use them :(

wob182,
check with council to see if they have private public transport available,in manchester there is the ring and ride service which is mini buses that only people who get DLA and have any sort of problem with normal public transport can use,
manchester cant be the only place here with this service so have a look as might find its a big help-am used to use them before being getting high rate mobility [dla].
these drivers will take from door to door so there is no chance of getting lost.
its possible social services could also pay for taxis as well as they used to for am to go to college,though am think they might have stopped that now-anyway,check these things out as it might mean access to better travel.

also,apply for a free travel pass [the new national one],if do not have a social worker,it might take a long time to get the pass but would be worth the wait,having it means the problem with paying wont be there anymore,when am ever used one they let carer on free as well [either family or staff].
as for explaining,what about writing it down,explaining the problem and if they could help with saying when its time to get off.

am would recommend the private public transport service over all that though,if its available,not only for all the obvious reasons but do not get chavs on it.

Lightning88,
am thought that was the norm for public transport in towns?
dads friend used to drive for bus eirrin? in dublin and it's because of nasty people like that he isn't any more [he drives for another company that has those areas on their banned list].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:52 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

Wow...atleast if I lived in Indiana I would have a legitimate excuse as to why I don't want to use buses. 8O

lol Yeah, it's pretty bad here. The north and south sides aren't so bad, but definitely aviod the east and west sides. Oh, and don't even try it with downtown! Wow, this place is beginning to remind me of 'The Wizard of Oz'! lol

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:32 am

Yep, public transport sucks. That's the main reason I got a car, though if I could do it over again I'd have gotten an older cheaper vehicle. But yeah, the schedules they give out don't seem to account for bus driver break times and the driver change outs. I'd arrive 30 minutes before a scheduled stop and have to wait two or more other scheduled stops before the bus finally arrived sometimes(That's like 3 hours late). Not alot of fun, especially when it makes you 2+ hours late for work. I'd rather pay more for a taxi.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:43 am

I think season tickets are one of the best inventions ever. I can get onto any tram, bus or other vehicle in Zurich wherever I want, ride for as long as I want and get off wherever I want for a whole month.

While we're on the subject of public transportation, this is a sign I read in a tram the other day. Does it make sense to anyone?

This vehicle is owned by the City of Zurich and is subject to a leasing transaction (lease and lease back) with Wilmington Trust, Delaware/USA.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 11:08 am

I don't drive (alas!), so I must (cannot not, no other
choice) use local public transit to get to and from work
each day. Still, if you're going anywhere after 6 PM
in Edmonton, the bus service is unimpressive.

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2008, 11:40 am

I've used public transportation, although the buses in my area are almost *never* on schedule, and have come very, very late on many days.

AnnieDog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 11:43 am

Sliding OT:

Icheb wrote:
This vehicle is owned by the City of Zurich and is subject to a leasing transaction (lease and lease back) with Wilmington Trust, Delaware/USA.

A lease/leaseback is a method of providing financing (typically private) to a public entity. It is most commonly seen with public buildings and transport. On paper, the City bought the vehicle and leased it to Wilmington Trust, a bank. Wilmington Trust is now leasing it back to the City for use. The dollar value, responsibilities, and other things change from document to document. They are usually used when an entity (the City) cannot afford to buy the property outright or has some reason for not wanting to own it. It's an extremely complicated transaction (obviously).

A hospital is getting ready to do something similar. Article with its how/whys is: http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/200 ... ofit_corp/

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 5:02 pm

DukeGallison wrote:
I've used public transportation, although the buses in my area are almost *never* on schedule, and have come very, very late on many days.

isnt it an aspie trait that we fear the unknown, dont react well to change (espically when we wernt prepare for it ) and like schedules. So the bus supposedly has a schedule and it doesnt always keep to it, which must really distress an aspie. How does an NT deal with this I wunder...

anyway i wish i had a car, but in order to buy a car, i need job and to get to a job i need to use public transport...catch 22!

08 May 2008, 7:40 pm

Thank god I live in Portland. We have a very good bus sytem. They are always on time. Well they run about every 15 minutes on weekdays, only the frequent service ones during the day except for early morning and evenings and nights.

TheTraditionalFrog
Raven
Raven

08 May 2008, 8:44 pm

Sadly, I am stuck using the woefully inadequate bus system in Indianapolis. I had given thought of perhaps purchasing a used car a few years ago but the job I had at the time didn't work out. Since then I have been offered the almost unlimited use of a relatives Pick Up truck. Fast forward to now....

I have totally abandoned the idea, at least for the time being, due to the ever rising cost of petrol. Oh, joy unbounded! Also, for other reasons I am beginning to find cars annoying (another story, another time).

Anyway, for the most part I ride my bicycle or walk most places if at all possible. I have been known to go on 10 to 12 mile walks or bike rides (that is 10 to 12 miles EACH way). I received a nice new (high quality) back pack for Christmas that has been a blessing and a half! I actually enjoy walking or biking for the most part (not overly fond of a unexpected down pour of rain)

Unfortunately there are many places in Indianapolis that are not easily reachable or safe walking or riding a bike. So in these cases or when the weather is foul I am stuck riding the bus.

I agree with Lightning88 for the most part about IndyGo. Personally I haven't witnessed a shooting or gang fight on a bus (not yet anyway) but I am aware of such things. A shooting took place on a bus at a downtown stop not very far from where I live a month or so ago. Most of my family and friends live on the north and south sides of Indy so thankfully I rarely have to go east or west.

I lived on the west side about twelve years ago and am familiar with routes 10 and 25. Route 10 had more frequent service and more hours so was more convienient in this reagrd. However it also went through one of Indy's roughest neighbourhoods, Haughville. Sadly on Sunday or legal holidays this was the only route available as 25 didn't run. I lived in an area called Speedway (yes, the home of the Indy 500). I used to dread May and August when the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 took place. Not only were the busses a mess but the town was crowded with people, many rowdy and soused (drunk). An Asperger nightmare. Glad I moved from there.

My sister lives on the east side (a decent neighbourhood) so on rare occasions I take the route 8 Washington Street bus to visit her and her family. Thankfully my sister and/or brother in law will usually give me a lift both ways most times I visit with them.

The only real personal incident I had on a bus was when some man tried to interest me in the white powdery content (most likely drugs of some sort) he had in a container. He claimed it will make me feel real good. I immediately got up and moved to the front close to the driver. Solved that problem.

I also try to avoid riding during the morning and evening rush hours. Especially now with petrol being so high more people are crowding some of the routes. I get very on edge when I have people sitting practically on top of you for 30 minutes of more (especially if they reek of alcohol or urine). I also hate when I get a stand up seat and have to hold the rail or a strap. Another annoyance is when I have to take half a seat because the person is so "large" they take up a seat and a half and all the other seats are taken. Nothing like having the edge of the seat digging in your rear end for half the trip.

Generally when I have to ride a bus I either bring my portable CD player or mp3 player and a newspaper or book. I actually can't read well on a bus or in a car but it gives the "I'm busy" appearance thus allowing me to keep a little personal space and privacy.

Finally, Lightning88 mentions "Oh, and don't even try it downtown!".... I live in downtown Indy so when I have to catch a bus this is usually where I do it. 98% percent of the busses in Indy come through downtown (as part of the downtown loop). Since I have used the system since 1995 I have become quite good at using it and knowing the "ins and outs" of the system.

Still a royal pain but better than no transportation at all.