Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2008, 9:34 am

Here's a question for those who might be considering any career in health (medicine, vet, psychology etc.) what experiences do you have and how many hours do or did you have? Speaking for myself I have volunteering in a hospital on the weekends but this does not seem to be enough. Any insights would be helpful here.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 11:20 am

You'll need a college degree.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2008, 3:03 pm

Sorry didn't explain the situation well enough. :) I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and looking to go to medical school. After the interview, to strengthen my application I was told that I need more experience in health care. So I was wondering about other's experiences in this (how many hours, what type of experience)

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 4:30 am

I've been a registered nurse for 11 years, and have never heard of med schools requiring health care experience. Aside from volunteering the only thing I can think of that you can do without a license is teach CPR. I volunteered in an ER when I was doing my prereqs for nursing school; not only was it the highlight of my week back then, but it allowed me to know for certain I wanted to be and ER nurse, which I did for 3 years.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2008, 2:48 pm

aylissa wrote:
I've been a registered nurse for 11 years, and have never heard of med schools requiring health care experience. Aside from volunteering the only thing I can think of that you can do without a license is teach CPR. I volunteered in an ER when I was doing my prereqs for nursing school; not only was it the highlight of my week back then, but it allowed me to know for certain I wanted to be and ER nurse, which I did for 3 years.

I have not heard of any of the medical schools that I applied to require health care experience to be considered for admission. However, the committee at the school in question felt that I had limited experience in health care even though I volunteered in the emergency room for a couple of months and there was no place to state how many hours I had or how many were required. In addition my application was denied because I didn't have enough extracurricular activities even though I have not seen on any medical school application that this was a bad thing since it is generally best to have good grades and a good MCAT score.

I'm not evil I just have a different view of good

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 10:45 pm

Search the internet for internship opportunities at hospitals.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2008, 3:36 pm

I've done that but I'm wondering how much I need since this is not specified

I'm not evil I just have a different view of good