Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

08 May 2008, 12:58 pm

Aside from the obvious reasons,

"[Kilgore] Trout had a mental defect which I, too, used to suffer from. He couldn't remember what different people in his life looked like -- unless their bodies or faces were strikingly unusual." - Breakfast of Champions

Sounds like prosopagnosia?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 1:23 pm

I love his books. He could have been on the spectrum or just wrinting about someone he knew, who was AS. Have you read a bio of him. Did he appear to have traits in his childhood or daily life choices?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 2:45 pm

It's safe to say that Vonnegut may have been an Aspie.

Lavos
Raven
Raven

08 May 2008, 3:33 pm

So it goes..

In my AP lit class, we just read Slaughterhouse 5. To make things interesting in class, whenever someone mentions someone dying, I say "so it goes" like the narrator of Slaughterhouse 5.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 5:23 pm

They made a pretty decent movie out of that book(Slaughterhouse 5). Most movies that are book remakes suck, but this one was good, (as well as Catch 22, another favorite of mine). I'm not sure if you can rent these anymore but you can probably catch them on TMC...maybe even utube has some clips? or ebay ?

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

09 May 2008, 11:51 am

Oh, yeah. They made a movie of Breakfast of Champions, starring Bruce Willis. I have no idea how that book could even be a movie. I watched the first five minutes of it before falling asleep, and it's, well, surreal!

I read somewhere that Vonnegut suffered from bipolar depression, and I think his mother was schizophrenic, but I don't see any mention of that on wikipedia.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 12:52 pm

Well, considering there was no DX for AS beofre 1993/1994, and many of us still had "coping issues" . It is my belief that there are many adults in the past who were missDXed with just about anything "they" could come up with. After all, if you can't fi them in a box you dont know about (adult AS), they will just try and cram them into the next closest fit.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:30 am

His son is schizophrenic, so maybe.