No Experience necessary.............:/

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 3:58 pm

While I have Had a job before it ended badly because of a scandal with anotehr employee which I wont go into. But beyond that I have pretty much NO valid work experience :( . HOW the Hell do you get a Job without work experience????
How did any of you folks get your first real "job"? And by THAT I mean a self-sustaining job, not the kind of part-time job you get in HS or in college. Please help..... :?

kip
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 4:48 pm

I'm still trying to figure that out... x.x

I go into places and ask if they are hiring. Usually, mum and pop places are the best cause there is no company standard to adhere to.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 5:02 pm

There are a few jobs that specifiy that "no experience necessary", some even prefer it because they don't have to "untrain" you to do things their way rather then the old companies way....Most of these pay crap however. :cry:

I tend to just go through adds and croos out those that specifiy that you must have experience...those that don't say it, I can apply to. You can also try and get experience doing a specific type of work by volunteering but...this is pretty hard to do if you have to pay rent. Sometimes, it can be worth it to get a crappy job and then voluntere a few hours a week somewhere you want to work just to get experience and "connections"...those are really the most important way to get a full time job offer.
You can also try some of the "temporary work" businesses. Some companies will hire you away from these businesses(they usually have to pay the temp coompany a fee for that but it is worth it to them to have some knwledge of how good a worker you are rather then hire an "unknown" and give them training and benifits only to find they suck as a worker. I did get a good paying job by doing this once and I have considered going back to another temp agency to try out job possibilities. Another advantage of this is that YOU get to see if you like the company without making a full-time commitment....if it's a bad place for you, you just request not to be sent to there again and the temp agency can try and find another placement for you.

Good luck. It's hard but not impossible.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 7:11 pm

I think it comes down to an age thing: If you're under "graduating from college" age, (about 22), they don't really expect you to have muchexperience in anything. If you're older (like me), they assume if you could learn, you would have by now, and pick a younger applicant.
So I see it as "no experience necessary" (unless you're over 23).

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 7:43 pm

I would consider some of the things I've done in college "experience."

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 7:50 pm

I took whatever I could find (big mistake; what I could find didn't have much of a career path).
Always try to learn from you job, volunteer for new things, show initiative, show up on time (big one), and you'll hold onto a job longer. Don't be afraid to go back to school (part time) to brush up on skills, or learn new ones.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 7:55 pm

I think volunteering is really the only option I have right now. Either that or an unpaid internship.
But I think Im gonna give Natural Learning Concepts a try :wink: . I Really there need to be more affirmative action programs to help Aspies get their first jobs.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2008, 8:31 pm

zghost wrote:
I think it comes down to an age thing: If you're under "graduating from college" age, (about 22), they don't really expect you to have muchexperience in anything. If you're older (like me), they assume if you could learn, you would have by now, and pick a younger applicant.

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

Try robbing a bank. You will be assigned a prison job and be experienced when you're released. (I hope you can take a joke)

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Caravaggio
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2008, 8:59 pm

Gotta start at the bottom basically. My first real job that lasted more than a day was because I'm a pseudo-god at most computer issues and had some experience from High School along with two beaming letters of recommendation in the computer field.

Trying to get into the restaurant industry instead as I prefer human interaction but it's a real pain when they all want some experience. When they say they don't they will pass you up for someone better 99% of the time.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 1:03 pm

There's a million possibilities. Attitude and willing to learn are more important than previous experience for many jobs.
Temp agencies are a good start, you don't need to commit and can try different things. Otherwise try the general 'help wanted' section in the newspaper, take a course or program for a specific job, become an apprentice or join the army, etc.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:17 pm

zee wrote:
There's a million possibilities. Attitude and willing to learn are more important than previous experience for many jobs.
Temp agencies are a good start, you don't need to commit and can try different things. Otherwise try the general 'help wanted' section in the newspaper, take a course or program for a specific job, become an apprentice or join the army, etc.
:?

At the moment I have to say that I am NOT quite ready to just fill out 2,000 applications at random. Besides, if I have a positive attitude and another applicant has a passible attitude and YEARS of experience under their belt, who are they more
Likely to hire? :roll: Possibility right now is really trivial to me because what Im interested is LIKELYHOOD :wink: .
If I were to start at the bottom at age 29 then I will remain at the bottom. It just not f*****g realistic anymore to think that you can work you way up from the bottom without connectios and/or a valuable skill And the timing is just right. Sorry Caravaggio, you're advice wasnt helpful. Has AnyOne here tried Natural Learning Concepts??? If so has it helped??
Join the army? :lmao: They wouldnt even take me Even IF I actually wanted to do something so f*****g massochistic :evil: .
I live in the U.S.A. zee! WTF are you thinking?! If I join the f*****g ARMY I'll be shipped off to war in Iraq!! !

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:22 pm

tailfins1959 wrote:
zghost wrote:

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

Try robbing a bank. You will be assigned a prison job and be experienced when you're released. (I hope you can take a joke)

:evil:

Your social tact certainly leaves much to be desired Bro.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2008, 9:05 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
tailfins1959 wrote:
zghost wrote:

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

:evil:

Your social tact certainly leaves much to be desired Bro.

I couldn't resist. Besides, as an Aspie I gave up trying to have social tact 20 years ago. All jokes aside, temp agencies are a good way to get started. Start off demonstrating you'll take any assignment they give you with a smile and you'll build up trust that lands you better gigs and better pay.

If it worked for a tactless, nose-pickin', doesn't give a crap Aspie like me, it can work for you!

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:07 am

Try an internship first, either pair or unpaid. Sure, your wages will be below the market rate for your field, but at this point in your life, the most important thing is to get some work experience.