Wkat languages do you speak other than English ?...

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,403

10 May 2008, 8:16 pm

My first language was German. I spoke it almost exclusively until I was about six years old. I learned English in first grade and Spanish in high school.



ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2008
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 912
Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

11 May 2008, 1:41 pm

French and German, at school level...probably good enough to get a coffee or find a public bathroom.

Very small smatterings of Russian, Irish, Japanese and Quenya. :lol:, and enough medieval Italian to attempt to read Dante in the original.

And currently learning Lushootseed, the language of the Coast Salish Indians. Isya'ya! (Hi there!)


_________________
"Grunge? Isn't that some gross shade of greenish orange?"


theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2007
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 231

11 May 2008, 2:09 pm

I'm fluent enough in Spanish, though when I actually speak it I sound slightly n00bish and my accent is a bit off. Basic Japanese, a little Mandarin Chinese, and the language I'm making up for fun (which will be much more complete after school ends and I have time). I want to learn some type of Arabic, Lojban, Swedish, and some other stuff sometime...



A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 172

12 May 2008, 9:49 am

French and Spanish (though somewhat a beginner in the latter)


_________________
My favorite emoticon :D


hyder13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
Location: Charlotte NC/NYC NY

29 Jun 2009, 10:27 pm

well Urdu(fluent), Italian(fluent), English(thick accent of NY tho), Brazilian Portuguese(fluent), Spanish(so-so), Arabic(Lebanese I can gey by but my MSA sucks), Russian(intermediate student), Hindi(I can read it and am basically fluent by Urdu). If you can tell Im split between Middle-East/SA and Romance, each representing half my heritage =)


_________________
We are like boats dashing together; our eyes are darkened, yet we are in clear water.~Rumi
As melhores coisas na vida são livres


venusandeve
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 2

01 Jul 2009, 9:26 am

let's see... i speak portuguese(mother tongue, eloquent), english(eloquent, started aged 4), dutch(learned in 4 years, fluent but not eloquent. ugly unpoetic language i must confess), french (limited, dorment. it gets better if i've been there for a week), bastardized spanish and german.

laguanges is an easy dpt for me. i just don't have much to say.



Meta
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 276

01 Jul 2009, 11:02 am

venusandeve wrote:
dutch(learned in 4 years, fluent but not eloquent. ugly unpoetic language i must confess)
Dutch is my first language and I agree totally ;)



UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,292
Location: ...

01 Jul 2009, 11:45 am

Meta wrote:
venusandeve wrote:
dutch(learned in 4 years, fluent but not eloquent. ugly unpoetic language i must confess)
Dutch is my first language and I agree totally ;)

Mine too, English is my second and japanese my 3th (i'm getting good at japanese but still need alot of work... damn you kanjis!) But can i ask what you meant with "ugly unpoetic" venusandeve?



simmerskan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 43
Location: westcoast of southern Sweden

01 Jul 2009, 6:40 pm

Swedish (quite naturally´- I am from Sweden). I can understand Danish, if I read it, but it´s impossible to understand Danish when people speak to you. I think it´s a shame, because my great-grandmother was Danish.


_________________
"Life is like a cup of tea - it´s all in how you make it"


Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217
Location: Laramie, WY

02 Jul 2009, 1:15 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:
Meta wrote:
venusandeve wrote:
dutch(learned in 4 years, fluent but not eloquent. ugly unpoetic language i must confess)
Dutch is my first language and I agree totally ;)

Mine too, English is my second and japanese my 3th (i'm getting good at japanese but still need alot of work... damn you kanjis!) But can i ask what you meant with "ugly unpoetic" venusandeve?


Learning kanji can be a real b***h from what ive heard, especially for non-native speakers. It's what puts most people off of learning Japanese, despite the fact that the rest of the language is quite simple compared to English...


_________________
"Yeah, so this one time, I tried playing poker with tarot cards... got a full house, and about four people died." ~ Unknown comedian

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.


mgran
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,864

02 Jul 2009, 1:43 am

We're a talented bunch, aren't we? I don't normally tell people what languages I speak, because in England it's unusual to speak more than one, and people look at you funny if you speak a few well. Nobody tends to believe you if you say you speak more than ten.

Irish, French, English, German, Russian, Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, can read and write Italian and Spanish, not had to speak them and picked up Afrikaans, Flemish. Plus can read some dead languages, Anglo Saxon, Latin, and Classical Greek.

Do you think aspies are better at languages that most folks?



Fredozindo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 37

03 Jul 2009, 5:14 am

i'm not a native english speaker....i speak indonesian as my native language....fluent english of course.... french beginner....little bit of mandarin...and japanese though i'm slowly forgetting...lol.... forgot italian....



littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 180

03 Jul 2009, 10:23 pm

I speak semi-conversational Spanish (because of school) and I understand Tagolog but still have trouble speaking it and doing the accent properly. I know very small bits of French and have been trying to learn German and Swedish. I feel like the phrases and words that I learn leave my memory after two days. I guess that's what practice is for.



UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,292
Location: ...

07 Jul 2009, 5:21 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:
Meta wrote:
venusandeve wrote:
dutch(learned in 4 years, fluent but not eloquent. ugly unpoetic language i must confess)
Dutch is my first language and I agree totally ;)

Mine too, English is my second and japanese my 3th (i'm getting good at japanese but still need alot of work... damn you kanjis!) But can i ask what you meant with "ugly unpoetic" venusandeve?


Learning kanji can be a real b***h from what ive heard, especially for non-native speakers. It's what puts most people off of learning Japanese, despite the fact that the rest of the language is quite simple compared to English...

Very true, but grammar would be more easy with western language since whe already use about the same system as all those languages but still the grammar isn't horrible to learn (I should add that grammar has alot of clones in japanese like all the forms of "if" and "but" "only",... English only has one thats actually where the grammar gets hard, just to know which one to use when) . And yeh the kanjis kill you but i've already managed to learn quite alot and can read alot, i scare myself sometimes ;P

mgran wrote:
We're a talented bunch, aren't we? I don't normally tell people what languages I speak, because in England it's unusual to speak more than one, and people look at you funny if you speak a few well. Nobody tends to believe you if you say you speak more than ten.

Irish, French, English, German, Russian, Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, can read and write Italian and Spanish, not had to speak them and picked up Afrikaans, Flemish. Plus can read some dead languages, Anglo Saxon, Latin, and Classical Greek.

Do you think aspies are better at languages that most folks?

Wow that's so much o_0 I think whe are then but only the smart ones lol. Btw, if you're so talented, you should really learn Japanese :-)



ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,315
Location: Galway, Ireland

07 Jul 2009, 6:49 pm

I speak school level German, and about five words of Irish, despite living in the country for 10 years, and having to sit an exam on it in a year 8O My english isn't too shabby either, my mouth words are well proper


_________________
The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists - Erwin Schrodinger

Member of the WP Strident Atheists


Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,772
Location: Seattle, WA

07 Jul 2009, 7:11 pm

I only speak English. In high school, I wanted to take Japanese, but my parents made me take Latin instead. The teacher was only a few years from retiring so we spent a lot of time watching old baseball and WW2 documentaries and all of our tests were open book and he'd give us the answers to all the homework before making us turn it in. Needless to say, I did very will in the class but didn't learn an ounce of Latin (at least that I can still remember).