Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 6:19 am

I do have an imagination.

I saw leaflets saying Aspergers lack imagination, that is stereotyping. Even the doctors were wrong. I had loads of imaginary friends since I was 7. I used to make toy storys when I was about 10. Then making comics since 13 and still do.

I may have trouble setting a story up, but most teenagers do.

I hate when leaflets and websites say AS people have a lack of imagination. I say I DON'T!! :evil:

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2008, 7:01 am

IT IS REFERRING TO SOCIAL IMAGINATION (I.E. ABILITY TO SEE ALTERNATE OUTCOMES) not creative imagination.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 7:09 am

sort of e.g. being too honest to a fat person and saing "you are fat" and dont think it will hurt his/her feeling's.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 8:01 am

People with Autistic Disorder are the ones who supposedly lack imagination.

The whole, lack of imaginative and symbolic play thingy; I've never played "pretend" in my life.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 11:01 am

good heavens, I imagine things all the time; that I understood what someone said, that I understand what's going on, that I know how someone feels...;)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 11:18 am

I think this [the leaflet] refers more to being able to conceive of social situations than the childlike playtime imagination used to create a spaceship from a cardboard box. Why is everybody so quick to take offence at leaflets? Are you reviewing every piece of AS literature with highlighters, waiting to pounce on some perceived inaccuracy? Easiest thing to do is simply discredit the literature by living your life as a creative person.

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 2:53 pm

<sarcasm> I'm so sorry, I didn't know </sarcasm>

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 4:16 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
People with Autistic Disorder are the ones who supposedly lack imagination.

The whole, lack of imaginative and symbolic play thingy; I've never played "pretend" in my life.

This is one of the differences between Kanner's syndrome and Asperger's syndrome (allthough some of the lower-functioning aspies aren't that good at pretend play either).

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 4:38 pm

I don't lack imagination. I've always had a wild imagination.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 5:41 pm

Timelady wrote:

I saw leaflets saying Aspergers lack imagination, that is stereotyping. Even the doctors were wrong. I had loads of imaginary friends since I was 7. I used to make toy storys when I was about 10. Then making comics since 13 and still do.

I hate when leaflets and websites say AS people have a lack of imagination. I say I DON'T!! :evil:

hey! You have a deviantart account, we know that :P

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 10:44 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
This is one of the differences between Kanner's syndrome and Asperger's syndrome (allthough some of the lower-functioning aspies aren't that good at pretend play either).

Yep (it, plus a delayed development in speech is the best way to determine whether someone has AS or Autism).

You'll find that many of the "lower-functioning aspies" and "higher-functioning auties" bridge the gap between the two disorders, as it's hard to distinguish the differences in these people as they develop.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

12 May 2008, 10:54 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:

Yep (it, plus a delayed development in speech is the best way to determine whether someone has AS or Autism).

You'll find that many of the "lower-functioning aspies" and "higher-functioning auties" bridge the gap between the two disorders, as it's hard to distinguish the differences in these people as they develop.

I thought AS was a form of autism, but it may be me misunderstanding something again. Could someone explain this to me? Is AS autism or is it not autism? (I know they aren't synonymous, I know they aren’t the same thing, but I did think AS was a certain kind of autism.)

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 12:11 pm

Timelady wrote:

Asperger Syndrome doesn't lack imagination and in fact Albert Einstein is a big praiser about imaginating.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 10:26 pm

Tormod wrote:
I thought AS was a form of autism, but it may be me misunderstanding something again. Could someone explain this to me? Is AS autism or is it not autism? (I know they aren't synonymous, I know they aren’t the same thing, but I did think AS was a certain kind of autism.)

Well, more researchers state that Autism and Asperger's are two distinct conditions than those who say they're a part of a continuum. Asperger's comes under the ASD heading, but just like Rett's and CDD, it's distinct from Autism.

Quote:
In a review of literature via Medline search, out of approximately 1329 published study of PDD since 1995, there are about 36 studies considered that Autistic Disorder and Asperger Disorder are two distinct disorders, whereas about 23 studies considered the above two disorders as the PDD continuum.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2008, 2:26 am

I guess the idea of people with Autism comes from the idea that lots of people have of them being completely braindead when they see them sitting there staring at nothing for hours. It's funny that people think this when in fact the supposedly "braindead" person's brain is actually running a mile a minute.

If someone were to say that people with Asperger's lack imagination, they obviously wouldn't know much about Asperger's. I'm constantly coming up with all kinds of ideas and thinking about completely random stuff. My problem is that my imagination is so overactive that I often forget about more important stuff like bills, cleaning, errands, etc.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

13 May 2008, 12:56 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Tormod wrote:

Well, more researchers state that Autism and Asperger's are two distinct conditions than those who say they're a part of a continuum. Asperger's comes under the ASD heading, but just like Rett's and CDD, it's distinct from Autism.

That's weird. I asked my father, and he said that these days, more researchers think of AS as autism, and that that view is increasing. Is it possible that this differs from country to country?