Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tormod
Raven
Raven

13 May 2008, 12:56 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Tormod wrote:
I thought AS was a form of autism, but it may be me misunderstanding something again. Could someone explain this to me? Is AS autism or is it not autism? (I know they aren't synonymous, I know they aren’t the same thing, but I did think AS was a certain kind of autism.)

Well, more researchers state that Autism and Asperger's are two distinct conditions than those who say they're a part of a continuum. Asperger's comes under the ASD heading, but just like Rett's and CDD, it's distinct from Autism.

That's weird. I asked my father, and he said that these days, more researchers think of AS as autism, and that that view is increasing. Is it possible that this differs from country to country?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 12:03 am

That's from all research papers on Autism and Asperger's. More say they're two distinct disorders compared to those who state they're the same disorder, but only differing in severity. The disparity of opinions isn't too great however (36 to 23).

It kinda sucks for it leaves those with "HFA" balancing on the diagnostic tightrope (Autistic Disorder without a ret*d verbal IQ as an adult), and one can fall to either side depending on who or what diagnoses you.

Fortunately, the countries that lump "HFA" and AS together treat them the same as "LFA" in gaining social services, so whatever label one has, it is effectively moot.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

14 May 2008, 3:49 am

I realize that I don't really know exactly what a research paper is. It has to be a paper with some research on, but what exactly this means I don't know. Is it the official truth, or the most official, or are there other views that can be seen as just as much true that does not involve research papers?