Those verbal/body language mishaps you hate

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 7:34 pm

My most common one is where, I'm sitting in the break room at work. Only me and one other co-worker is there at a given moment. Any one of them. I'll be looking up at the clock or at the snack machine and I will hear them saying "Hi" or "Hey whats up!?" and because I'm the only person in the room, my mind insists on turning around and responding and right as I'm doing so I notice that they are talking on their cell phone.

The absolute WORST is where a fast-food employee is taking a drive-thru order through their little headset/earpiece thingy, but they are standing in front of the counter facing the general direction of the customers while they are doing it.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2008, 8:02 pm

I think that most people could be momentarily tripped up by that.. Naturally, for a moment, you might assume they are talking to you, especially if it's just you and them in a room alone ;) I think that would be an awkward moment for anyone.. realizing the person is starting a conversation on their cell phone..

Sometimes, people that I kindof vaguely know will say "hi" while looking in my direction and I'll happily say "Hi" back thinking someone wants to talk with me and is being nice, only to discover they are saying "hi" to the person that just walked up behind me :( ha! ouch.....

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 8:41 pm

Felinity wrote:
I think that most people could be momentarily tripped up by that.. Naturally, for a moment, you might assume they are talking to you, especially if it's just you and them in a room alone ;) I think that would be an awkward moment for anyone.. realizing the person is starting a conversation on their cell phone..

Sometimes, people that I kindof vaguely know will say "hi" while looking in my direction and I'll happily say "Hi" back thinking someone wants to talk with me and is being nice, only to discover they are saying "hi" to the person that just walked up behind me :( ha! ouch.....

That's embarrassing. The same thing happened to me once when I thought I saw an old friend at the mall. There I was, waving at her and saying 'Hi Nancy! Hi, it's me!' When I got to within 30 feet of her, I saw that the girl wasn't the person I thought she was and she was looking at me strangely, so I went on waving and saying 'Hey Nancy, wait up!' and kept on walking past her as if it was someone else behind her I was talking to. Talk about a last-minute save-of-face.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2008, 9:14 pm

Ha hey Rainstorm, I've done that one too! haha If it's a crowded mall, you can get away with that.

11 May 2008, 9:25 pm

CRACK wrote:
My most common one is where, I'm sitting in the break room at work. Only me and one other co-worker is there at a given moment. Any one of them. I'll be looking up at the clock or at the snack machine and I will hear them saying "Hi" or "Hey whats up!?" and because I'm the only person in the room, my mind insists on turning around and responding and right as I'm doing so I notice that they are talking on their cell phone.

The absolute WORST is where a fast-food employee is taking a drive-thru order through their little headset/earpiece thingy, but they are standing in front of the counter facing the general direction of the customers while they are doing it.

When I hear someone speak, I always look first before I talk. But the fast food thing, I have never seen before so I can't comment on it. They are always at the drive thru window when they speak and they have those headsets on so it's obvious they are talking to a outside customer.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 9:28 pm

I have done that before. It's annoying.

11 May 2008, 9:32 pm

I used too it but I learned to look before you respond. I also learned if I think I am seeing someone I knew, make sure it's them first, if I am not sure, don't say anything to them.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 11:53 pm

CRACK wrote:

Haha, I've done the same thing too - too many times. Now I make a point of only responding when I'm 100% certain the person is speaking to me. Like when they look at me directly and say my name.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 12:28 am

What I hate is when people try to make jokes and I cant tell if they are joking or not unless its something ludicrous or obvious.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:23 pm

Yesterday, the GF and I were at PetSmart, and she brought her dog...and I walk up to the cash register, and the woman says "Hi, cutie!" (to the dog) and I almost said "Thank you." :oops:

Such are the dangers of being taught to receive compliments.

I hate when cashiers say something other than "Have a nice day.", like "Enjoy your meal/movie."...it probably sounds awkward when I say "You too." ¬_¬

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2008, 2:55 pm

I have you all beat :D

Not that long ago, I was walking down to the shop and a woman pulled over in her car and gestured down the road. Now, I am TOTALLY face-blind, and assumed she was my neighbor and that she was offering me a lift to the shops. So, like a wally, I cheerfully got into her car.

We drove on for a bit, until she awkwardly asked me "So... how do I get onto the motorway from here...?".

Only THEN did it click that she was a total stranger and I'd just climbed into her car for a free ride :oops: Not my neighbor at all! She must have wondered what on Earth I was doing climbing into her car when all she wanted was directions.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 3:16 pm

When people at school smile and say 'hi' then look at you like a crazy person for replying and asking them how they are!

Why bother to say hi if that's all you want? Really I would rather they not if that is the response I'm going to get :(

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 5:23 pm

I think there was one time when someone greeted me and I said "good" rather than "hi". Its the response I would normally give to "how are you today?"

But I am proud enough to say that I have never made the mistake of referring to a teacher as "mom" something that even many NTs did at least once :P

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 5:17 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:

I hate when cashiers say something other than "Have a nice day.", like "Enjoy your meal/movie."...it probably sounds awkward when I say "You too." ¬_¬

I figured it out! Teach yourself to reply 'hope you have a nice day' instead of 'you too' and then it works for all

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2008, 5:24 pm

I really hate people talking with hands free thingies. I always talk back to them somehow. Ive gotten odd looks about that so many times. Often if a person is behind me, and another infront of me and they greet eachother i often make the mistake and think the person infront of me is greeting me. Then they look at me weirdly again cause i dont know the person at all... I sometimes feel like im just the weirdest person ever..