So I decided to stare into a person's eyes

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:24 am

The person is someone close. I decided after talking about eye contact to stare just to see what happens.

The person got freaked out over it because they weren't used to it, to me staring into their eyes and they ended up looking away. :oops:

13 May 2008, 3:33 am

eye contact is a b***h so I don't bother trying unless I feel comfortable. Sometimes I do it automatically as if my brain is working correctly like some machines decide to work and then decide not to work and then my brain malfunctions again.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2008, 4:51 am

Oh yeah, common rookie mistake LOL! You can't just stare at the person's eyes, you have to look, glance away now and then, make appropriate facial expressions to what they are saying. For some reason it comes naturally to the NTs. We kind of have to learn it but I don't think we ever get good at it. I'm not. Like today I was having a face to face conversation with someone I really like, and after less than a minute I was trying to run away because her eyes were too much.

bettybarton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2008, 5:07 am

i used to be (and assume i still am) really good at playing those games as a kid when you have to stare people out, or they try and make you laugh by staring at you, so it can be REALLY uesful sometimes. because i cuold just stare back but feel nothing, like i was just looking at a wall... and ive gone through trying to count seconds as i look, look away, glance back, look away etc- but you kind of loose the thread of the conversations. and i may have been muttering two, three, four, etc, which would not have helped. im up to doing lots of :lol: brief one- two second glances now, or else forget and look continuously... im still learning it.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 6:03 am

Eyes make me edgy. I don't trust eyes. Except my boyfriend/partner/rival/best friend.

:D

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2008, 7:00 am

Its impossible for Aspies to get the `correct` number of seconds of eye contact and the `correct` intervals of looking elsewhere to make the NT feel 100% happy in my opinion.

Rowen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2008, 9:11 am

I can't get the eye contact thing right either no matter how hard I try.

Happyhelen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2008, 9:30 am

I get worried about people reactions for example if they smile at me I would talk to them, but if they are looking preocupied or even cross then I wouldn't bother.

When you talk to people you look at them, but it's best not to stare too much otherwise it is a bit rude.

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2008, 9:32 am

I used to stare into people's eyes.. until I WATCHED their eyes closely, and tried to copy what they were doing.

Now as a result, I can successfully make eye contact with people and I'm not scared of doing it either!

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:53 pm

Shelby wrote:
Oh yeah, common rookie mistake LOL! You can't just stare at the person's eyes, you have to look, glance away now and then, make appropriate facial expressions to what they are saying. For some reason it comes naturally to the NTs. We kind of have to learn it but I don't think we ever get good at it. I'm not. Like today I was having a face to face conversation with someone I really like, and after less than a minute I was trying to run away because her eyes were too much.

Oh so sociable types have problems with eye contact too? Maybe they are really glancing away because it too makes them feel uncomfortable?

That sounds like a disorder. Not being able to stare!

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 4:05 pm

I used to know this guy at this place for authism who stared people in the eyes.
Appearently they forgot to tel him about the looking away thing when conditioning him to make eyecontact.
He made everyone very uncomfortable.
I don't like being stared at...
Myself i seem to have gotten pretty good at it, so i've never really had comments about it.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 5:35 pm

catspurr wrote:
The person is someone close. I decided after talking about eye contact to stare just to see what happens.

The person got freaked out over it because they weren't used to it, to me staring into their eyes and they ended up looking away. :oops:

people get freaked out since it is odd and usually not occuring. I havve had times when It felt like a person was staring at me. It feels very strange. That may be why they looked away. Staring may also mean an interest in a person or malicious intent. I am no expert though :)

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2008, 8:39 am

catspurr wrote:

I never had problems with eye contact but they say I sometimes throw away X rays that makes them uncorfortable. The evil eye. 8O