Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Subaru
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2008, 6:01 pm

Okay, so I thought we were making so much progress this past month but we have developed new issues.

The have started since about Sunday. I cannot figure what may be the catalyst, if any. But....

It is like Subaru has a hairtrigger to get angry, have a meltdown or start crying. He asks us to watch him do something, or look at something and if we do not read his mind and give him the appropriate response then he flips out. We are walking on egg shells, not sure if we should 'Oooooh wow' or 'Oh no' at his incessant questions. It is almost as if nothing is the right response. I am going to bed exhausted, stressed and wiped.

He has also developed a really odd, disturbing 'Goofy laugh' (from Disney). I am suspecting, due to is exaggeration, that it may be a 'stim'. But we are relatively new to this Planet and are still learning things.

So, we go back to the Child Psychiatrist on Thursday and hopefully my sanity will still be intact then.

However, we will have a ton of new questions for him.

jbollard
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2008, 11:23 pm

I have a 4yr HFA, and just when you think you have things worked out something else starts up or changes.

My son has just started to cry like a new born, he has picked this up from the young babies/toddlers from pre-school.
Leaving him at pre-school was going fine until yesterday, when he totally flipped out and wouldn't let go.

It is totally frustrating and completely understand how you feel, I have 2 sons on the spectrum who have no idea on social cues etc so they are at each other all the time.

AnnieDog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2008, 12:05 pm

Smallfry does the same thing. Happy, happy, happy, doom. Like the terrible twos on crack. Sometimes I can predict the switch (hungry, tired) but other times there is no rhyme or reason that I can find at all. Totally maddening.

If I can, I do our calming routine. It doesn't always work or if I'm already too frazzled, I just need a minute. That's when I have stuck him in front of a television, turned on an episode of Superman, and just walked away. Or stashed him in his crib and walked away. I can't fix it and Mommy needs a time out. He's safe, he's OK, and he can scream without me for a minute. Once I am composed, then I'll go back in and start working through it. We both live.

Just hang in there. Oh, and if you find a "magic bullet" to fix this, do share!

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 1:39 pm

AnnieDog wrote:
Smallfry does the same thing. Happy, happy, happy, doom. Like the terrible twos on crack. Sometimes I can predict the switch (hungry, tired) but other times there is no rhyme or reason that I can find at all. Totally maddening.

Happy happy happy DOOM - yep, that's the story of our life with our Little Bird! :) And he's nine now.

Quote:
If I can, I do our calming routine. It doesn't always work or if I'm already too frazzled, I just need a minute. That's when I have stuck him in front of a television, turned on an episode of Superman, and just walked away. Or stashed him in his crib and walked away. I can't fix it and Mommy needs a time out. He's safe, he's OK, and he can scream without me for a minute. Once I am composed, then I'll go back in and start working through it. We both live.

Just hang in there. Oh, and if you find a "magic bullet" to fix this, do share!

Definitely sometimes you just have to Walk Away. It's been tough at times, though, because he'll be in meltdown mode and I start going into meltdown mode myself, and I try to walk away but he sometimes follows me and if I shut the door between us, he will bang and kick it and scream and sob. That's pretty awful, when that happens - when I can't get away from him when he's like that, can't even get a moment's peace. Those are scary times.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 7:57 pm

it's definitely a roller coaster ride.....just when you think things are going well, BAM, you get hit with something awful.....all i can do sometimes is barely manage to hold on to my sanity.

i try to be really thankful for the good days. i live for the good days..........my therapist said that if you repeat the mantra: "I am grateful that my son is making good decisions", that just putting that intent out there will bring you good results...........i've tried it during really anxiety provoking occasions, and so far it's worked.....dunno. think it's just luck :D

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

14 May 2008, 10:46 pm

I attended a Tony Attwood seminar yesterday and he used the words Jeckell and Hyde!

He talked about Aspies having cycles of waves .... things go well, then things go badly. He talked about an Aspie biorhythm.

When things are going well ... great! If the kids are going through a bad time, Tony Attwood strongly recommended a mental health day for your child, keep them home from school.

Tony Attwood did not mention a mental health day for the mothers!

Helen

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 11:59 am

My parents say I was like that too. I suspect I am also bipolar but no one believes me.