Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 2:32 am

Are there any other composers (symphonic band/orchestra, jazz, choral, mixed ensembles, etc) here on WP? The idea of comparing experiences with other musicians who share a similar thought process greatly appeals to me. For me, it's my release, a safe respite from the world, an addiction... and thus far, the one career where my idiosyncrasies are not detrimental to my work performance. Is there anyone out there?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Axon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 May 2008, 7:40 am

Yeah, I was classically trained as a cellist through my school years, and since then I've taken up a passion for writing and producing electronic music. I don't know if that counts as 'real' music in your book, but I love it, and indeed a few years ago ago I wrote some music for a commercially released game on the PC (for which I was paid nicely).

At the moment, I'm trying to develop a particular kind of sequencer system , primarily using the Clavia Nord Modular G2 synthesizer, which is a non-fixed architecture synth - basically a synthesizer building kit. So I am able to work with both my musical skills and my technical abilities to create my own instruments and musical pattern generators.

But yeah, it certainly is useful for a daydreamer like me to have an activity where I can drift off and pluck ideas out of thin air and then be able to put them down into an audible form. I've only just learned that I'm an Aspie (indeed only last Friday), and it makes perfect sense to me that that's what I am.

Last edited by Axon on 14 May 2008, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 7:43 am

Yes! I'm not classically trained as such, but studied music in college and wrote a couple of pieces of minimalism. Which I don't have access to anymore ( :( ) but they were pretty good. Now I write doom metal in a band. 8)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 12:56 pm

Electronica is 'real' music to me; I've done some work sequencing and making loops for D&B and TechHop projects. And I'm drooling over the new Lemur control interface. Most of what I do now is arranging and original works for high school students/ensembles and above. I'm still not diagnosed, but for the first time I feel like I have a pair of glasses where I can see myself... and that's a pretty swell feeling. Axon - do you have samples of your work online? Would enjoy the opportunity to hear your style.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 1:14 pm

just_ben wrote:
Yes! I'm not classically trained as such, but studied music in college and wrote a couple of pieces of minimalism. Which I don't have access to anymore ( :( ) but they were pretty good. Now I write doom metal in a band. 8)

Noice. How krieg are you?

But seriously, I am interested.

After my GCSEs I plan to record myself, though I can't put my ideas into one genre, thankfully.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 2:18 pm

I write songs, but I usually only write the guitar, bass, and vocal parts. I don't know enough about drums.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 5:44 pm

Aalto wrote:
just_ben wrote:

Noice. How krieg are you?

But seriously, I am interested.

After my GCSEs I plan to record myself, though I can't put my ideas into one genre, thankfully.

More like Place Of Skulls.

I've also written a couple of pieces of electronic music in my music technoloy A level. One of those was amazing, if I do say so myself. Aside from that, the band I'm in mostly plays a lot of stoner rock/doom metal sort of things. We're happy with that.