Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 8:10 pm

I was watching a documentary on cults. I think an Aspie would be immune to a cult's mind control tricks.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 8:53 pm

Yea, I think we all belong to a cult really, that's partly why we don't "click" with NTs. They're mind controlled by the media. A nice easy personality format for them on which to operate and be productive. And yet they refer to Aspies as robotic. Damn irony.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 8:54 pm

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
Yea, I think we all belong to a cult really, that's partly why we don't "click" with NTs. They're mind controlled by the media. A nice easy personality format for them on which to operate and be productive. And yet they refer to Aspies as robotic. Damn irony.

Took the words right out of my pie hole.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2008, 10:10 pm

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult#Psych ... definition
Quote:
Psychological definition

Studies of the psychological aspects of cults focus on the individual person, and factors relating to the choice to become involved as well as the subsequent effects on individuals. Under one view, an important factor is coercive persuasion which suppresses the ability of people to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest.

Studies of religious, political, and other cults have identified a number of key steps in this type of coercive persuasion:[27]

1. People are put in physically or emotionally distressing situations;
2. Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized;
3. They receive unconditional love, acceptance, and attention from the leader;
4. They get a new identity based on the group;
5. They are subject to entrapment and their access to information is severely controlled.[28]

With the exception of 3 that is exactly what you get watching CNN and Fox "News". Never thought of it this way, the NT world really is one big cult! Any one else get that "The Matrix has you" feeling?

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 10:21 pm

It could work that way...or the aspy could become more cult like due to his perseverate interests. I remember being obsessed with Ayn Rand when I was younger, which is sort-of cult-like.

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2008, 10:29 pm

IpsoRandomo wrote:
It could work that way...or the aspy could become more cult like due to his perseverate interests. I remember being obsessed with Ayn Rand when I was younger, which is sort-of cult-like.

I disagree that focused interests are a cult-like behavior, at least not in the social sense of the word. The sense of the word in the case of "social cult" seems completely different from the sense of "culture cult". One involves manipulation to be part of the sameness of a group and the other is just intense fascination with an item of cultural artifact.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 May 2008, 11:28 pm

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
With the exception of 3 that is exactly what you get watching CNN and Fox "News". Never thought of it this way, the NT world really is one big cult! Any one else get that "The Matrix has you" feeling?

Yes! When that movie came out, I remember looking around the audience, as the lights came up and people got ready to leave. I felt that a lot of them had not "gotten" it. That feeling of having the wool pulled over one's eyes. Excellent example, The Matrix is. 8)

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 11:32 pm

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
IpsoRandomo wrote:

I disagree that focused interests are a cult-like behavior, at least not in the social sense of the word. The sense of the word in the case of "social cult" seems completely different from the sense of "culture cult". One involves manipulation to be part of the sameness of a group and the other is just intense fascination with an item of cultural artifact.

The point is the person's dogmatic.

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 1:22 pm

I took a class about cult formation and survival last semester and I have come to the conclusion that NTs are a cult of cults driven by their need to belong to a collective group where they are accepted and valued on their beliefs and interconnectedness. I think that the basic wiring of an NTs brain is a predisposition to mind control techniques which are developed around the thought processes of these individuals. Whether that makes Aspies immune or not I'm not sure (still working that part out) but I think it gives us an advantage in resistance. I know that someone would have to seriously revise any form of mind control to take me down.

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2008, 8:48 pm

I dunno. I think that some of the tricks that work really well on NT might not work well on an aspie, but we are actually just as prone to emotional manipulation so long as it`s done right. I mean, look at all the stories of an aspie being exploited by someone in exchange for emotional and/or social contact. A cult could quite easily provide that.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 10:24 pm

And our HONESTY! It can be a negative sometimes, but I just love my wonderfulawesomecoolest trait of being HONEST and LOYAL :D

LordArquebus
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2008, 1:42 am

Asperger's are forced out of societies for their various "traits" and learn to observe. A cult changes one's mind with illogic and unbased loyalties. An Asperger generally would reject a social group with such behavioral motivations and easily decypher the lack of basis of the cult, at least with time. I'd say Aspergers are not immune, we're human after all, but generally have a +10 resistance to cult mind tricks :P

Cults make no sense, but it's possible a non cult may be labled cult, so even there, the logic twists again.... so.... anyone else's head spinning to my logic? I think I need to lie down....... hehe

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 May 2008, 6:42 pm

I am not susceptible to any cult, because I get frustrated when things don't make sense. One of the reasons I stopped attending church, was because (1) I was forced to go, as a child, and (2) I realized that half the time, I didn't have any strong conviction of belief, in anything that they said there. I had to find my own spiritual path. A cult would not get very far with me. 8)

NoriMori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2008, 10:30 pm

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult#Psych ... definition
Quote:
Psychological definition

Studies of the psychological aspects of cults focus on the individual person, and factors relating to the choice to become involved as well as the subsequent effects on individuals. Under one view, an important factor is coercive persuasion which suppresses the ability of people to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest.

Studies of religious, political, and other cults have identified a number of key steps in this type of coercive persuasion:[27]

1. People are put in physically or emotionally distressing situations;
2. Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized;
3. They receive unconditional love, acceptance, and attention from the leader;
4. They get a new identity based on the group;
5. They are subject to entrapment and their access to information is severely controlled.[28]

I DO! I DO! Ahaha! That's why I love "The Matrix" -- it's such a good metaphor for the present reality!
Incidentally, I've read that article on Wikipedia! ^^ I'm a Wikipedia freak.