too many questions but looking for answers

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 304
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

15 May 2008, 2:06 am

I understand that there is a growing "aspie-consciousness" in that we are moving towards a personal acceptance of our neurodiversity and pride in our differences in relation to the NT community. I believe this is important and a precursor to meaningful activism and personal transformation.

But I wonder, is this "aspie-consciousness" ever in danger of turning into self-absorbed sentimentality? When I mean "self-absorbed sentimentality", I mean a severely naive and delusional type of self-love. I'm not advocating self-hate, I just...worry at the impracticality of living on righteous wishes instead of working towards realistic self-improvement. When I mean "self-improvement", I mean still being different from the NT community yet striving to be at least equal in our ability to contribute to society or to some greater good.

When do we "fall on our own swords" in the act of using self-absorbed sentimentality in a way that blinds us from achievable goals and practical virtues?

Also, should we treat ourselves as seperate but equal to the NT community or should we be striving to integrate ourselves into the NT community? Does it depend on where on the spectrum one considers onself to be?



simplyhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 62

15 May 2008, 2:11 am

aguales wrote:
I understand that there is a growing "aspie-consciousness" in that we are moving towards a personal acceptance of our neurodiversity and pride in our differences in relation to the NT community. I believe this is important and a precursor to meaningful activism and personal transformation.

But I wonder, is this "aspie-consciousness" ever in danger of turning into self-absorbed sentimentality? When I mean "self-absorbed sentimentality", I mean a severely naive and delusional type of self-love. I'm not advocating self-hate, I just...worry at the impracticality of living on righteous wishes instead of working towards realistic self-improvement. When I mean "self-improvement", I mean still being different from the NT community yet striving to be at least equal in our ability to contribute to society or to some greater good.

When do we "fall on our own swords" in the act of using self-absorbed sentimentality in a way that blinds us from achievable goals and practical virtues?

Also, should we treat ourselves as seperate but equal to the NT community or should we be striving to integrate ourselves into the NT community? Does it depend on where on the spectrum one considers onself to be?



----Whoa! I like these questions. Very thoughful and realistic. So I am wondering. . .what do you think about these questions?



makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,805
Location: Banned by Alex

15 May 2008, 3:03 am

Thought provoking. As one still learning about the condition and community that exists, it is hard for me to say. By what stick do you measure one's contribution to society? I do not get the sense from a majority of the members here that they feel it is an excuse; rather, it is a perspective - one that may confine them in some ways, but has it's own merits, fascinations, exhilarations that free them in many others. Integration? How are we, those affected and those in their lives, not already integrated? I believe understanding, not integration, is the more integral issue involved.

A stick may be used as a crutch, or a lever to raise a great stone - it is how it is used that defines it.


M.


_________________
My thanks to all the wonderful members here; I will miss the opportunity to continue to learn and work with you.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!


PlainBlueSky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 8

15 May 2008, 5:56 am

I think it's important to remember that for some it's about survival (and freedom & self-determination), not sentimentality.

And I don't just mean people who are "low functioning" -- if someone has to put 80% of their energy into compensating, and something happens that takes 30% more (which a "normal" person would easily handle), their whole life could unravel, and no one around is likely to understand (or care) why.

No one knows when or if their spouse is going to get MS, or they're going to get a new boss who sucks, or become (more) disabled themselves, have a crazy shrink do something crazy, etc. Or just get older without having found a niche where it's possible to exist without over-expending beyond what's possible.

It's easy to forget that the people that don't survive don't write internet posts. Not to be melodramatic, but there are probably a lot of ghosts on this board; stories of people didn't make it that we aren't hearing about. I don't think disability rights / advocacy / pride is meant as some abstract thing about sentimentality; I think the idea is it's about addressing real-world survival.



SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 474
Location: London

15 May 2008, 6:04 am

aguales wrote:
Also, should we treat ourselves as seperate but equal to the NT community or should we be striving to integrate ourselves into the NT community? Does it depend on where on the spectrum one considers onself to be?

Neither.

We are superior to the mundies.
We do not need to treat them as equals, as even the least of us is intellectually superior to the majority of them... with the right guidance.

They seek to force us down by weight of numbers... for that is their ONLY advantage.

We just have to wait patiently for the oppurtunity to rise up, crush them beneath our collective boot-heels... and then go our separate ways.



nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 130

15 May 2008, 10:35 am

SotiCoto wrote:
aguales wrote:
Also, should we treat ourselves as seperate but equal to the NT community or should we be striving to integrate ourselves into the NT community? Does it depend on where on the spectrum one considers onself to be?

Neither.

We are superior to the mundies.
We do not need to treat them as equals, as even the least of us is intellectually superior to the majority of them... with the right guidance.

They seek to force us down by weight of numbers... for that is their ONLY advantage.

We just have to wait patiently for the oppurtunity to rise up, crush them beneath our collective boot-heels... and then go our separate ways.


Um.....what?



sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,488
Location: Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon

15 May 2008, 11:15 am

nomadic28 wrote:
SotiCoto wrote:
aguales wrote:
Also, should we treat ourselves as seperate but equal to the NT community or should we be striving to integrate ourselves into the NT community? Does it depend on where on the spectrum one considers onself to be?

Neither.

We are superior to the mundies.
We do not need to treat them as equals, as even the least of us is intellectually superior to the majority of them... with the right guidance.

They seek to force us down by weight of numbers... for that is their ONLY advantage.

We just have to wait patiently for the oppurtunity to rise up, crush them beneath our collective boot-heels... and then go our separate ways.


Um.....what?


I think it is a revenge fantasy, nomadic.

Merle



aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 304
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

16 May 2008, 11:43 pm

simplyhere wrote:
Whoa! I like these questions. Very thoughful and realistic. So I am wondering. . .what do you think about these questions?


I was hoping others would provide insight as these are questions I'm still struggling with.

makuranososhi wrote:
By what stick do you measure one's contribution to society?


That's a good question. I guess initially I meant "contribution" as the willingness to participate within society or to confront society on its issues on a personal or political level (instead of being withdrawn or being trapped in the escapism of a solitary obsession). I've experienced both extreme withdrawal from society and the escapism of solitary obsessions. I've also experienced both the participation and immersion of myself within active subcultures (not yogurt :shameonyou: ) and the greater societal dialectic. I find that, although participation and immersion is difficult and sometimes painful, it gives me access to more strategies and opportunities to strengthen who I am as a person. To continue from the context of my original post, I worry that "self-absorbed sentimentality" would become an excuse not to participate in or immerse onself into new situations.

PlainBlueSky wrote:
It's easy to forget that the people that don't survive don't write internet posts. Not to be melodramatic, but there are probably a lot of ghosts on this board; stories of people didn't make it that we aren't hearing about.


This is truth. These stories did not find an understanding audience in time. These folks did not find the reciprocation they needed in time. They did not find hope in time. Is it society's fault for creating "ghosts"? Do we engage with society on this issue or instead do we withdraw or find something to escape into? Do we seperate ourselves from or do we choose to challenge society? And in the process...challenge ourselves.

I was also thinking... In reference to my original post, would "spectrum-consciousness" be more accurate than "aspie-consciousness", as the former includes everyone on the spectrum, not just aspies?

I know I'm sounding like I'm speaking from a podium or something, but sometimes I get fired up about these issues, as I feel these are integral things, I myself, need to figure out.