Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 4:37 pm

I have developed an eye tic in the past few days that is getting worse and is very destracting. I don['t feel any more stressed then normal, which is always pretty high, so I am wondering if there are any other causes or treatments to stop this tic. It has happened a few times over the years and may take just a few days to a month to go away but I was hoping to cut this short if possible.

Any suggestions?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 4:43 pm

krex wrote:
I have developed an eye tic in the past few days that is getting worse and is very destracting. I don['t feel any more stressed then normal, which is always pretty high, so I am wondering if there are any other causes or treatments to stop this tic. It has happened a few times over the years and may take just a few days to a month to go away but I was hoping to cut this short if possible.

Any suggestions?

Sounds REALLLLY familiar, Krexie. :wink:

It's stress. Or lack of sleep. Or both maybe? I tried all the "natural" stuff, tried hot pads, cold packs, rinses....had to resort to a lite version of "mother's little helpers" from the doctor. It stopped after more sleep, less stress in life, and about three weeks.

Annoying as hell, isn't it?

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 5:24 pm

I used to get eye tics and reckon stress levels must have something to do with it.
I sometimes found that if calming measures had no effect,another ploy was for me to concentrate my thoughts on a different area of the body,like a finger,and the tic would transfer itself from my eye to my finger instead ! The variety was slightly more tolerable than having it in the one place all the time.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 May 2008, 5:31 pm

I had a pharmacist tell me that I was low on potassium. I found that the potassium did help on several occasions, but on others, it didn't. Warm compresses to the eye sometimes help, too.

ross54
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2008, 5:45 pm

Try clenching shut the affected eye, then releasing. Repeat several times. This may discharge the tension in the eyelid muscles. Ross

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 6:14 pm

Thanks everybody...and yeah Nan..it IS very annoying. Sometimes I just hold onto the spot with a finger, so the feedback isn't as strong. The good thing is I looked in the mirror and it isn't noticeable (like the kind you see on TV) so it's just annoying and not also embarrassing.

I have been sleeping OK (love me some melatonin) but maybe I am just so use to stress I can't judge that it has gotten worse...work is killing me and I need more dental work I can't afford and my BF just left town for the first time in 4 years and I can't seem to sell anything in my craft store and the job want adds are more sparse then ever before and....might be stress?

Guess it couldn't hurt to take multivitamin and mineral just in case, (maybe a pirate patch would help.) I can do the eye tensing thing as that has helped other body twitchs I get as does excercise in general.

Thanks y'all

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 7:02 pm

krex wrote:
Thanks everybody...and yeah Nan..it IS very annoying. Sometimes I just hold onto the spot with a finger, so the feedback isn't as strong. The good thing is I looked in the mirror and it isn't noticeable (like the kind you see on TV) so it's just annoying and not also embarrassing.

Have had eyelid twitch on rare occasions (more frequent recently, but still only few times a year)-not from meds. or anything I could discern as different (haven't got Tourette's nor epilepsy, etc.). Never lasted long enough for me to get too concerned about it-just annoyed & baffled. Was intermittent-sometimes spasming several times in a row, then-like the hiccups-disappearing (while I was distracted) until I thought to notice/check if it was still doing it-and then it would be back again ! Only lasted (off & on, not constant) for few days, at longest-usually goes away in a day or two, though. Mysterious to me...

I've put my hand (which is often chilly) against my closed eye, to soothe the aggravation-one could try (may sound wacky but it seems harmless & maybe in 20 years science will explain why it might work) pressing GENTLY against-just holding it there firmly yet delicately (we're not doing home surgery here) closed eye with cold (not frozen, or else it'll stick to skin which is not the desired outcome) spoon/metal object. Could wrap with scarf (leaving non-spasming eye free to see) around one's head to provide sensation of calming to the twitch. I have an ACE bandage that I can wrap around my head with an ice pack (the gel kind, covered with folded paper towel) over afflicted area-for muscle/tendon spasm, tension, pain on face, jaw, or neck.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 7:33 pm

Rawr, mine was doing this just yesterday and it always pisses me off sooooo bad. It's so hard to sleep or do anything when my eye is twitching. Mine is stress too, and unfortunately I haven't found anything that cures it. I've always wanted to try acupuncture for it but I don't know of anyplace I could get that done around here...

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 8:44 pm

Thats just eye strain, I get it from reading in dark rooms with poor lighting, also sitting at the computer all day will cause that annoying tick on the corner of the lid, s**t now my bloody eye is twitching, its been a long day, I was driving for 9 hours

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 8:48 pm

I don't know Krex, I would be concerned though if there is any change in your vision though. But I think eye tics are common enough - the suggestions given are good!

I don't have 'tics' but if I'm tired I think I stim more and, of course, I'm extra anxious - these are precipitating factors. I read (somewhere) that directly massaging your temple and around your eye area, even your scalp, will help relax those muscles. Potassium - yes! K+ is an ion that is a neural (& muscle) channel conductor. Do you like banana splits? Bananas are very high in K+

Hope it goes away soon.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:19 pm

I do read in the dark because I hate light but that and being on the computer is nothing new and I don't usually tic. Hope you get some rest from the driving....I could never do that long a drive..yow.

Thanks labpet. I do like bananas but I will have to pass on the split...milk= living in bathrooms.
I'm not really worried about it as a health concern just figured some genious here had some home remedy to shorten the duration. :wink: :wink: :wink: tictictic...this to shall pass :D

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:21 pm

No suggestions, but I know how you feel.

I used to get this all the time, one time I think it lasted for almost over a month...annoying as he$$...and for me it was fairly noticable at times. :roll:

Pretty positive it was from stress also in my case, haven't had it happen now in almost 2 years now thankfully. 8)

Rowen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2008, 10:20 pm

My eye started twitching when I started taking focalin for brain fog. The doctor said it was stress as it was too low a dose to do anything. But I started taking it every other day and my eye stopped twitching.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 11:17 pm

Rowen wrote:
My eye started twitching when I started taking focalin for brain fog. The doctor said it was stress as it was too low a dose to do anything. But I started taking it every other day and my eye stopped twitching.

Brain Fog!

I thought that was a fictitious disease from Joe vs the Volcano

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 11:46 pm

spudnik - I was curious too! I googled focalin, which is often prescribed for ADD/ADHD, in children & adults. Possible side effects do include nervousness (implying such manifestations as Rowen described) - the medication is an amphetamine, hence the effects.

Good you were able to reduce your dose and relieve your eye twitching, Rowan.

Medications often act differently, with varying degrees, to those on the spectrum.

Lepidoptera
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2008, 11:50 pm

I have these from time to time. My optometrist told me they're nothing to worry about and they burn themselves out with time..... and they do, but they can be annoying.