Do you get stressed over small things?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:03 pm

For example I've been trying to make an appointment for an Endocinologist (I have hormone issues) and I've been going back and forth trying to set up a date. I finally said AHHHH ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OH WELL! My mom thinks it's stupid that I get stressed over something that small but I sadly tend to do that. It's funny though today she asked me if I was tired and I said no. She said well I am. I responded "If I would of said I was tired you'd say I shouldn't be because I always lay around and do nothing all day besides watch t.v. and play videogames." LOL! (That's her typical response too I'm tired.) :-)

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:05 pm

Yes, same here. I put off calling people and setting appointments not because I'm lazy, but because I simply hate talking on the phone.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:08 pm

I get stressed super easy and tend to give up quickly on things if it's stressing me

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 May 2008, 9:14 pm

YES! YES! YES!

Always get stressed about little things. Or things that seem little to others. They are big to me sometimes! I don't like disruptions and changes, so these things stress me out. I htink the things others get stressed about are stupid sometimes, though.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:21 pm

HEY I AGREE!! !! I think students getting overly stressed at College was stupid. IMO you must not want to become a doctor,lawyer,or Psychologist THAT BAD IF YOU ARE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CLASSES YOU HAVE TO TAKE TO GET THAT CAREER SHEEESHHHHH!

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:33 pm

and people at high school who are like 'oh no project due that I haven't even STARTED!
...well what were you doing last night? Or last month when the assignment was handed out?
If you want to finish high school so badly then try a new tactic called DOING YOUR WORK EARLIER!

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 May 2008, 9:35 pm

Lily_cat wrote:
and people at high school who are like 'oh no project due that I haven't even STARTED!
...well what were you doing last night? Or last month when the assignment was handed out?
If you want to finish high school so badly then try a new tactic called DOING YOUR WORK EARLIER!

Clearly you have not learned the fine art and joys of procrastination.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:37 pm

Totally agreed THERE IS NO EXCUSE!! !

Videogame (PLAY IT LATER)

Relationship (GO ON A DATE LATER OR better yet make it a study group thing/do your project together)

Didn't have time (THAT'S YOUR OWN FAULT YOU SHOULD MAKE TIME!! !)

Kids (LET THEM GO OUT AND PLAY TAKE THEM TO MCDONALD'S PLAYPLACE WHILE YOU TYPE ON YOUR LAPTOP OR MOMMY'S BUSY WE'LL GO TO THE TOY STORE TOMORROW!!)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:38 pm

Y'know what's weird? The small things stress me out MORE than the big things. I had about a half hour of very mild homesickness when I left for college, but when my advisor canceled an appointment, I cried for an hour. Seeing the large-scale devastation that Hurricane Katrina caused didn't faze me; but seeing a Christmas ornament stuck in the mud that the flood had left behind left a lump in my throat for hours. When my dad left my mom, I didn't have much of a reaction except to analyze the ethical implications of my mother's divorcing him. When my dad wouldn't take me to choir practice, I had a six-hour meltdown of which I remember very little, but came away with bruises and lumps on the head and a couple of holes in the drywall...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 15 May 2008, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:40 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Totally agreed THERE IS NO EXCUSE!! !

Videogame (PLAY IT LATER)

Relationship (GO ON A DATE LATER OR better yet make it a study group thing/do your project together)

Didn't have time (THAT'S YOUR OWN FAULT YOU SHOULD MAKE TIME!! !)

Kids (LET THEM GO OUT AND PLAY TAKE THEM TO MCDONALD'S PLAYPLACE WHILE YOU TYPE ON YOUR LAPTOP OR MOMMY'S BUSY WE'LL GO TO THE TOY STORE TOMORROW!!)

exactly, I mean I babysit my 4 yr old step-nephew and work all weekend and yet my homework gets done!

I can only procrastinate for so long, then it begins to bug me.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:48 pm

Yeah constant flight here especially when out... but even at home still.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 11:35 pm

I get stressed over a lot of things most people don't even pay attention to. My feelings are also hurt very, very easily. I'm just a sensitive person.

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 11:46 pm

Yes, I'm a raw nerve..
Sitting in front of a fan (while wrapped tightly in a blanket) helps when this happens.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 12:16 am

Callista wrote:
Y'know what's weird? The small things stress me out MORE than the big things. I had about a half hour of very mild homesickness when I left for college, but when my advisor canceled an appointment, I cried for an hour. Seeing the large-scale devastation that Hurricane Katrina caused didn't faze me; but seeing a Christmas ornament stuck in the mud that the flood had left behind left a lump in my throat for hours. When my dad left my mom, I didn't have much of a reaction except to analyze the ethical implications of my mother's divorcing him. When my dad wouldn't take me to choir practice, I had a six-hour meltdown of which I remember very little, but came away with bruises and lumps on the head and a couple of holes in the drywall...

To some extent, I'm like that, too. Small things are huge to me at the time, when happening NOW. Future perspective & bigger picture isn't something I can manage (nor "force" myself to believe in), when it's not yet the future. Tend to get trapped in the current moment, if what's going on is either especially awful or highly enjoyable-can't drag myself away. Sorry, am drifting off topic.

Big things, whether good or bad, can be too much for me to even absorb, so I may not react a lot-there's too much to take in/process/feel impact of all at once. "Major" situations often are things that one isn't going to immediately feel the severity of, but will cause extended suffering over time (such as pain, loss, death). Instead of the gift that keeps on giving, it's the grief that keeps on taking.

"Minor" glitches apply to "what's next", my idea of what to expect in the course of my day. They affect my near future or the present-there's insufficient time (like doctor's offices, I'd like 24 hours' notice if any changes are to be made or appointments not kept) to cope with adjusting to the alteration/modification. In part, is related to my disdain towards surprises (unannounced changes). Even a "nice surprise" makes me annoyed & irked because it disrupts & messes with the plan/schedule I was given earlier (led to believe).

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2008, 12:20 am

My stress list:

I'm supposed to be getting a car "soon". I moved in where I have cheaper rent now, but its still taking me... *counts* ....6mths. And I still haven't saved my money up for it :x I know I need to, but there's no point because I need to be on my roomates insurance to take the test (oh yea... I gotta do that too! :?) And he's waiting for the insurance company to do something. And my uncle won't let me buy the car from him till I get my D.L.

I still have to get an orthodontist appointment to get my braces off. I missed my last one and that was maybe 3-4wks ago. (see below)

I still haven't done my taxes. (I forgot. No, really. And then I tried to do them online and I guess you need a bank account for that.)

I was supposed to have gotten my mossberg out of layaway 2-3wks ago. I'm going to do that after work tomorrow though when I get my check. I hope.

I need to clean my room...you can't see the floor AT ALL. I've been meaning to do that for 3wks now. (not at the top of my to-do/stress list).

I'm just now getting around to my laundry today and I've been home now for 5hrs.

I need to clean the animal cages tomorrow, and start building the permanent rat cage. That one has only been on my list for about a week now.

:x :(

The thing is, with stuff like my orthodontist appointment, I make it harder on myself by missing them and then not calling to reschedule for several weeks. :roll: I feel that I have to try to come up with an excuse every time I do that, and then they'll complain about it, and I get even more stressed when I think about listening to them. (I don't like talking on the phone either, thats why I didn't call in the first place to say I wasn't going to be there... :( )

So yea.

Last edited by nomnom_hamster on 16 May 2008, 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 12:23 am

Yes. This is the story of my life.

I have an even worse problem... severe anger issues. I've become violent and done things I'm not proud of.

I CANNOT STAND IT when people patronize me for “fussing over minor issues”. This was always the source of my most violent behavior as a kid. It was never the anxiety itself that set me off, it was the patronizing attitude of others that would trip the switch in me and throw me into a rage.