Do you think you're parents enjoy doing these things?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 4:19 pm

Stereokid wrote:
I have seen a lot of posts here about people being yelled at by their parents for lots of stuff they didn't think was wrong. Well, I have a question for all of you. When you're parents yelled at you, did you think they were doing it just for their enjoyment at your expense? Because that is exactly how I started feeling starting around my senior year of high school. I even tried to guilt trip them into laying off the complaining by muttering "You enjoy doing this, don't you."

Can anyone else here relate to this scenario?

I remember all to well, having the things I enjoyed, my music, radio, TV, etc., taken from me for some vague reasons. I sometimes think they did things not because it was best or worse for me, but because they wanted to win. They'd even lie to get what they wanted, just for their victory over me to force me to conform. I think they did alot of it because they enjoyed the idea of forcing me into submission, trying to brainwash me to their way of thinking, force me to like what they wanted me to like regardless my view, and the list goes on.

If they had just let me be me, and not tried to make me be more like my sister, there would have been no problems. When they let her do her thing and me do mine, we had no problems, don't know why they had to rock the boat.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 4:21 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
(Heads up: long post.)

Yes, of course!! ! To me, it was a given that my parents enjoyed yelling at me and punishing me. I knew that they wouldn't do at random moments, but they sure enjoyed looking for every little opportunity to yell at me, spank me, or threated to destroy my favorite toy right in front of me. The opportunities could be anything: reaching for sweets before dinner, touching their possessions (while they'd tear up my drawings just because I left them out), coming home 15 minutes late, losing my notebook at school, getting bad grades, and many more. Knowing that my parents enjoyed punishing me was the only explanation I could come up with; otherwise they simply wouldn't be doing it so often. I know it'll sound morbid, but for most of my childhood, I wondered: "Do orphans get yelled at and punished too, and who actually does it to them?"

I think parenting is about power. Power is what separates the strong from the weak, whether physically or psychologically. In families, parents are the ones with power, and kids are the ones without power, and the power imbalance drives the family relationship. Nietzsche once said that all of human history is about power, and whoever had the most power at some point was the one who made history. So since the parents are the ones with most power in the family, they're the ones who decide what's what.

Now, I know I'll get ragged about this. People will tell me: "You're not a parent! What do you know about family relationships?" With this statement alone, you're telling me that parents are more important than kids. Also, I think most, if not all, parents get something I call "childhood amnesia". In other words, as soon as their first child is born, they completely forget what it's really like to be a child. What it's like to be told what to do; what it's like to come to a store, and see thing you can never have (to most kids, in my opinion, "no" = never); what it's like to have to do your homework every day; what it's like not to be able to decide what to eat for dinner; what it's like to be told to clean your room; what it's like to have limits on your TV time; and so on, and so on, and so on. Parents forget how those horrible those things really feel. So they don't realize how unpleasant even simple punishments can be.

I read this article once. In a Russian city (don't remember which one), they opened a restaurant, where all furniture, dishes, and decorations were huge from an adult perspective. Everything was the same size that regular things seem to a 5-year-old child. Tables were up to people's shoulders, chairs were up to people's chests, plates were 30 inches wide, and cups were big enough to be held with both hands. People described the place as "eerie", "intimidating", and "tension-inducing". The business was good during the first few weeks, then went bankrupt within three months.

This goes to show you: people forget how unpleasant childhood can be, and that restaurant drove the point home! Its customers had a glaring reminder about how intimidating the world seemed when they were kids, so of course they felt uncomfortable there. It probably brought back some unpleasant memories for a lot of people.

You're comments about power remind me of a quote that I've seen attributed to various people.

"Any man can overcome adversity but to truly test his character, give him power."

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

20 May 2008, 4:44 pm

Well...looking at it from an older perspective - although I don't have kids myself, so some people would, I suppose, say I still don't understand. But anyway.

My father, I can...almost excuse. He was diagnosed with a serious illness when I was 12. I can never remember him yelling at me before then, but he used to yell at me a lot in my teens. I seriously believe he was angry, and scared, about the illness, and he took his anger and fear out on me because he didn't know how else to express them. Men of his generation often didn't. That doesn't mean that what he did was in any way right; I was often very scared of him (although he never laid a hand on me).

My mother, I can't excuse so easily. She would do anything possible to make me feel bad about myself, in the belief that if she just pushed a little bit harder, hurt me a little bit more, I would magically change my ways to make the hurting stop. The trouble was, anything I did to try and please her was never enough. She wanted me to be a replica of her, and - given my personality, my mixture of genes, the age difference, changes in the world and people's attitudes, let alone Asperger's - that was impossible. So the hurting never did stop. Her verbal cruelty has, sad to say, only stopped with the advance of old age and the fact that her mind isn't working properly any more.

Aspie1, you're absolutely right; it is about power. Alice Miller has written extensively about this. M. Scott Peck, in People of the Lie, wrote some interesting stuff as well. Unfortunately, for people who have a strong ego and want power over others, parenting offers the perfect situation: society actually allows you to order someone weaker and smaller around and have them obey you, and up to a point nobody will question that. Especially with mothers - we all assume a mother loves her child unconditionally and unselfishly, and nobody ever stops to think whether the mother might have another agenda entirely.

Tragically, it's the assumption that kids are always safest in their own homes that leads to things like the recent events in Austria...