Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lil_Miss_Gloo
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2008, 9:17 am

I get this all the time. To me it seem like all the people, actors, charactors, etc that I like and
look up to are men. I only ever find myself really liking (not usually in a romatic way) or sort
of wanting to be men.
I think parhaps I identify more with them, or they just seem more interesting. I know that with characters, the women don't seem to be as well developed. They're all kind of same-y.
With actors as well, the sort of women you see on the red carpet... You just don't really feel like you would want to hang out with them. I mean sure, they're full of smiles and they're gorgeous and they all seem very "nice", but the men are just more themselves.
It could be because women always seem to be portrayed as being as sexy as they can be, while men are more portraysed by their personality or values. Possibly.

Does anyone else think that, on general, there is more role-model-ability in men?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 9:42 am

^I sometimes can't help but wonder the parts women get rather than their ability. In the U.S. movies espeacially they're potrayed a little too unrealistic. I've seen some good movies that had women play some very versatile parts that were not all mainly from the U. S. I think I typed that in my earlier post.... :?

Historically women were hardly ever famed or recognized in their musical or artistic works because of their gender. Many books were never published..Mary Shelley's a good example of that and yet her Frankenstein story became a big hit in books and movies.

I tend to wonder if it's more of a cultural thing now than I did. Frida is a good example of an artist that was recognized in her own country among other females. In the U.S. women were the very last to even vote..and why is that?

Last edited by MissConstrue on 02 Jun 2008, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 9:48 am

MissConstrue wrote:
^I sometimes can't help but wonder the parts women get rather than their ability.

In history it's been shown that women were never famed or recognized in their musical or artistic works because of their gender.

I tend to wonder if it's more of a cultural thing now than I did. Frida is a good example of an artist that was recognized in her own country among other females. In the U.S. women were the very last to even vote..and why is that?

I can't place it at the moment, but there was one culture where women held all the power and made all the decisions. I believe it was one of the places conquered by Roman warriors.

And then of course there are several native american tribes where women held power, and in s ome of the ones that had men chiefs the elder women picked the chief and had the power to remove him if they didn't like his decisions