Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Should these refugees
Go back home and either face death at the hands of political militia or very possibly starve to death. 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Stay in south africa and face brutality from angry locals. 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 11

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 4:16 am

:(

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:32 am

That's a disgusting way to go! Any one of us could end up a refugee so we can't afford to be hard-hearted. Too bad somebody couldn't assassinate Mugabe but then there are probably a number of other potential leaders even worse than him. He should never have been recognised by the UN as a valid leader of Zimbabwe.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 5:10 am

You got to be kidding me. Stand tall and make a difference. There is power in numbers and even one good ninja can turn the tables. If you run, regardless of where you go, there you are. Where is your national pride? Take it back or blow it up. If you cant win make no apologies.. just a statement. You dont have to spend the rest of your life bent over.. if you must spend it, get two get three get ten

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm

Fred2670 wrote:
You got to be kidding me. Stand tall and make a difference. There is power in numbers and even one good ninja can turn the tables. If you run, regardless of where you go, there you are. Where is your national pride? Take it back or blow it up. If you cant win make no apologies.. just a statement. You dont have to spend the rest of your life bent over.. if you must spend it, get two get three get ten

Well-armed militaries are quite capable of putting down popular uprisings. They would neither take it back nor blow it up, they'd just end in a mass grave. It's already been tried (Matabeleland). It's easy to lecture destitute, unarmed refugees on taking on soldiers from the safety and comfort of the West.
For those refugees with no dependents, with no family or with a family outside the country, you have a point (and while revolutions normally end in tears, I don't see any other recourse for Zimbabwe) - but to ask them not just to die themselves, but to take their families down with them instead of fleeing the place is a bit too much. Mbeki, of course, could take down Mugabe but he has chosen to prop him up, a position made more disgraceful by the contrast with South Africa's dock workers and truckers.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:46 pm

Fred2670 wrote:

Oh right, ninjas are going to take out a well-armed military force. :roll: Mugabe's got the guns, what is MDC supposed to do? Mbeki's not helping anything. What, so the Jews in France in the 1940s were to blame for their fate because they failed to rise up and defeat the Nazis?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:57 pm

Link to the Avaaz petition to stop weapons shipment to Zimbabwe:

We, the undersigned, call for your support in preventing any weapons shipments from reaching Zimbabwe until the crisis is resolved. We believe that, if delivered, these weapons would likely be used to violate the human rights of Zimbabweans, and we support the efforts of ordinary citizens and African trade unionists to prevent their transit through neighbouring countries. This shipment highlights the urgent need for a strong international arms trade treaty, and the continuing violence demands that all regional and global leaders act to protect human rights.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/no_arms_for_zim ... _tf_sign=1

So far it's got 101,768 signatures; add yours and show solidarity for the people falling victim to the madness.

Another one from Avaaz is: (Underlined parts are where it's been amended since the election)

Petition to Robert Mugabe, Thabo Mbeki, SADC, and world leaders:

We sign to support the democratic and human rights of the people of Zimbabwe. Election results must be released immediately, verified independently, and--if approved as legitimate--accepted by all parties. If a run-off is required The run-off should be monitored by international observers and be kept free of violence, fraud, and intimidation. World leaders, including South African President Thabo Mbeki, should do all they can to ensure a just result.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/democracy_for_zimbabwe/

So far this one has 158,461 signatures.

From the Avaaz.org website:

Last Wednesday, a plane hired by Avaaz flew this massive banner over the United Nations headquarters as South African President Thabo Mbeki chaired a meeting of the Security Council. The flight, part of an effort to deliver the 150,000-signature global petition for democracy in Zimbabwe, was covered by press around the world:

AFP | BBC | CNN | SABC | SW Radio Africa | iAfrica | LA Times | Earth Times | And much more!

The next day, South Africa shifted its position. Thanks to all who took part!