Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

RecoveryBoy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2008, 4:16 pm

So anyways i went today to buy some stuff to cook sunday dinner with tomorrow night. Now i'm worried it wont be a good dish. Anyone wanna give some advice. I'm making a sweet and sour chicken pan. I plan to first fry my chicken until brown, add red peppers, onion and diced pineapple. Let that all simmer nicely then add a dash of of lemon juice, sliced apricot and some sweet chilli sauce. Let that cook and serve it wit brown rice. Sound any good?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 4:25 pm

since I haven't eaten in hours, everything sounds good...;)

there's thousands of recipes on the Web, Google "Sweet and sour chicken" (in quotes; means it will look for all the words next to each other) and "recipes". have at it.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 4:59 pm

I'd add chopped fresh chilli and chopped garlic. Sounds good, just taste it as it's cooking and add whatever it seems to need. Might need some 'greens', like chopped spinach or sprinkle with coriander (if you like it) or serve with a green salad.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 5:43 pm

I seem to have an ability to pick out good recipes and I own a restaurant.

I would replace the lemon juice with vinegar.- personal choice.
If it is not sweet enough you can add brown sugar.
you should have a starch and rice is traditional if you like it.
Sounds like your on point.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 11:18 pm

Sounds yummy! Chicken, hot peppers, fruits and vegetables. That's the way to do sweet and sour. Brown rice is good, too. Used to be that when people ate rice with the brown part removed they would get thiamine deficiency until white rice was artificially enriched. Brown rice tastes just fine, so I wonder why people ever got rid of part of the grain that has nutritional value and in fact contains at least one crucial vitamin. Cooking your own is much healthier than restaurant food. You know how fresh the stuff is, and you know what you're putting in it. Who knows how much salt and palm oil the restaurants use? I've been turned off to some restaurants because they try to cover for things not being fresh by using way too much salt. I had hot and sour soup once with too much salt, and I ended up refilling my soda 3 times and not feeling too well afterward. The bottom line is that with restaurant food, you don't know what you're getting.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 1:24 am

If you have room could I come for this meal? :P