Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 5:01 pm

tried it.........didn't make any difference here

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 May 2008, 5:43 pm

As for the constipation and bad gas, (which I noticed while eating wheat products) adding acidophilus/ probiotic supplements might help. These are sold in most health food stores in the refrigerated section.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 7:36 pm

Gas can ALSO be created by lactose intolerance. That is true EVEN if there don't seem to be any other symptoms.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:07 pm

annie2 wrote:
The variety of comments also got me thinking that maybe reducing gluten may help (eg. someone said they give their child a salad for lunch) rather than totally having to eliminate it?

While the fanatics will tell you even one speck upsets the whole cart, I think the Aspie community is finding that you can at least get a feel for if gluton is an issue by cutting back. Unlike parents of low-functioning children, we have the advantage of feed back from our kids. It won't just be what you observe, but how he tells you feels. Just by trying to cut back a little I am seeing less noxious gas, so I am encouraged to find out what happens for my son if we move on to elimination.

The total elimination diet, cutting out both gluton and casein, comes from celiac disease. It wasn't designed for autism. So we're kind of swimming in untested waters to begin with. With a high functioning child we also have the luxury of time; that sense that he'll never "catch up" isn't there. If you are like me, you know your child will get where he needs to go, in his own time and his own way, and simply are looking for things that might make the journey a little easier. I think that makes us a lot more free to discover if cutting back can help, if choosing gluton v. casein can help, and so on.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:12 pm

Zukenkrl, I just want to let you know that I appreciated all the interesting information. It's funny how the puzzle pieces start to come into place when things are discussed in a forum like this. How Aspie's experimenting on themselves can start to shed light on how and why some things seem to work for some. It's really useful to a parent like me.