Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 11:13 am

Can someone please recommend me some good anti-virus software?

I just got a new computer and I am trying to find out what the current best software is.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 12:31 pm

Personally: free.grisoft.com.
avast! and AVIRA are also good, free options.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/ <- shows some non-free stuff.

I see no point in paying for the unwieldy rubbish stuff, that generally causes problems by doing all the "twiddly" bits that eventually break your machine.

Oh. And here on Linux, I run ClamAV - just to catch Windows viruses, if they try to pass through...

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 12:36 pm

what lau said: AVG

kip
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:03 pm

AVG.

Or anything you can find free on torrent sites.

*dontbanmedontbanmedontbanme*

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:14 pm

I was using Kaspersky Antivirus for years, till the registration keys all got blacklisted, I wouldn't recommend downloading antivirus programs from bit torrent sites because the risk of getting a virus, or getting bogus software, I have been on AVG for 2 years, and have never had a virus.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 5:16 pm

kip wrote:
AVG.

Or anything you can find free on torrent sites.

*dontbanmedontbanmedontbanme*

Torrent sites are fine for large downloads (such as the 21 CDs for Debian).

They are pointless for small downloads like AVG, plus in that case, you would be foolish to download from anywhere other than the known, genuine sites.

If, when you say "free", you mean "pirated and/or cracked", then you will be extremely unlikely to find anything other than virus-ridden software. Feel free to download that from wherever you like - we'll see you back once you've reinstalled Windows a few times.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2008, 7:12 pm

I'm using Panda, right now, but only because I fond it for $5.00.

I've been very happy with the Shield on the house computers.

Pops

lau
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 5:40 am

Three slightly old comparisons of free anti-virus stuff: -->A -->B -->C
Maybe I'll look more carefully at switching to AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.

KenithSobel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2008, 5:14 pm

"Run the virus's are coming" hehehe

I would have to say AVG its the best i have ever used all tho im testing Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 *Not Out Yet* witch is looking good

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 10:49 pm

I have an old anti virus for windows 95 running on a windows ME and it's been working and stills get updates it is called inocluLAN by cheyenne. but I'm going to switch over to AVG 8.0. because it froze when scanning my PC but other then that it works great!

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

I like Vipire, it's light and after installation it found some pretty nasty stuff. A site lisence is only about $50. Before I had avg

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 11:24 pm

I'm running AVG on my XP box. I have it installed on my sisters, but I think she might be using something else. I will have to go to her house to check.

I put AVG on my brothers as well, but he hates the update popup, and truth be told, I am getting sick of it too. It shouldnt need to pop up over whatever I am doing, just o I can see that its updating.

Functionally, i am pleased with its performance though.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 11:40 pm

I think AVG might be good, which includes antispyware, there are two problems though, it uses a lot of RAM, about 50MB or so I think, and also gives false positives sometimes, one example, it deleted SP 3 installer for WinXP a while ago, detecting it as a malware :?

I switched to Avira free, which uses less resources, although it detects and scan for viruses only, for spyware you have to use other software along with it.

lau wrote:
Three slightly old comparisons of free anti-virus stuff: -->A -->B -->C
Maybe I'll look more carefully at switching to AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.

Interesting, it seems that Avira is not that good at shield protection, it looks like the three, Avira, AVG and Avast might have each advantages over the others and disadvantage over the others as well, hard to really say which one would be best, I have heard people claiming Avast being bad, especially with detection of Trojans, being poor.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 11:51 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
I put AVG on my brothers as well, but he hates the update popup, and truth be told, I am getting sick of it too

open AVG

Tools > Advanced settings > Appearance
Uncheck "display tray update notifications" and the others if you want it too.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:35 am

computerlove wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
I put AVG on my brothers as well, but he hates the update popup, and truth be told, I am getting sick of it too

open AVG

Tools > Advanced settings > Appearance
Uncheck "display tray update notifications" and the others if you want it too.

Thank you!

Ashton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2008, 12:52 am

I recommend Avast. I was using AVG, but once i tried Version 8, I switched to Avast because AVG V8 was giving me issues with my browser freezing. And, to me, it felt a little bloated.