Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Beckula
Raven
Raven

20 May 2008, 1:11 pm

I have had about a week now to think about my diagnosis of AS and I still am not convinced. Terrible of me, I know...but I am just so unsure. Maybe it's because anyone I disclose this to is not believing it or thinks that's not what is going on--or they say it must be mild.

The second opinion will be from a psychologist that works with the Autism Society of Minnesota and I am sure it will take months to get an appointment. I suppose I can cancel it if I become "convinced." I have another appointment with my first psychologist on June 2...maybe he will have more information gathered to share with me--I dunno.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 3:21 pm

Even though I believe my diagnosis, I still have random doubts. I'm not sure there's such thing as "convinced", especially if you grew up with everybody telling you there was nothing wrong with you.
(Even though life was proving otherwise.)

Beckula
Raven
Raven

20 May 2008, 3:31 pm

I know what you mean!

t0
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 3:50 pm

zghost wrote:
Even though I believe my diagnosis, I still have random doubts. I'm not sure there's such thing as "convinced", especially if you grew up with everybody telling you there was nothing wrong with you.
(Even though life was proving otherwise.)

Just out of curiosity - how'd you end up with a diagnosis if noone thought anything was wrong with you? It just seems like you wouldn't end up talking to someone capable of diagnosing you if everyone thought you were relatively normal.

That was my experience, anyway. Everyone thought I was just a little weird/unique/off/etc. It wasn't until I got older and entered into an adult relationship that I figured out how different I really was.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Just out of curiosity - how'd you end up with a diagnosis if noone thought anything was wrong with you? It just seems like you wouldn't end up talking to someone capable of diagnosing you if everyone thought you were relatively normal.

Well I'm 33. Most of the testing was done way back in 1986.... AS wasn't reconized and only the hyperactive form of ADD was, therefore there was nothing that they knew of wrong with me.
I self diagnosed about 6 years ago, just searching on some things that fit. I went to a psychiatrist last year, who confimed it.