What would you say to Alex Plank if you met him?

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Jan 2016, 1:30 am

I'd thank him for creating this wonderful site.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 1:37 am

Who's Alex Plank? :mrgreen:

Would you like to be my small talk buddy? :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 6:13 am

I would definitely thank him for WP. But I would also ask him to replace CAPTCHA with an ignore list function.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 6:28 am

Catlover5 wrote:
I would definitely thank him for WP. But I would also ask him to replace CAPTCHA with an ignore list function.

Me, too. Also get back the custom rank feature that hasn't been brought back since the update.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm

I would introduce myself and say "Thank you Alex!"

I remember meeting Alex when he was in Portland a few years ago. That was a disaster! :lol:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 6:44 pm

Having met Alex once, I learned that it is best to introduce oneself by one's WrongPlanet.net screenname. Introducing myself as "David" gained me nothing but a kind, but blank, stare. Correcting myself by saying that "you might know me as 'AspieUtah'" worked better. One warning about Alex, though. He is disarmingly funny when he feels like it. If his career as the autistic little brother to more than 100,000 Wrong Planetians doesn't work out, he could easily end up on his own television comedy. :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm

I don't really know. I'd probably want to know what his life was like growing up, what led him to create this site, and what is going on now in his life. I'd probably also express my gratitude in having a site where I can interact with people to whom I can relate.

I know (almost) absolutely nothing about him, so I don't know about any special interests that he might have. If he has any special interests, that would probably be the most interesting thing to me. Because I'm a nerd, lol.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 8:34 pm

I probably wouldn't say anything cause I screw up all forms for communication and giving my track record I'd probably either offend him or come across threatening.

Though if I over came that I would probably ask him if relates to the above, if he felt like a social failure too and how he managed to overcome that and live out his dreams. I would like to know how he coped with the memories of broken and destroyed relationships (if any) in his life due to his aspergers. I'd ask him if he ever felt depression over this if this was the case or if his interpersonal relationships have been mostly positive. I'd also be curious to know if the latter is true then was his success dependent on these positive relationships.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 8:41 pm

thanks for WP. you're cool.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 3:51 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Having met Alex once, I learned that it is best to introduce oneself by one's WrongPlanet.net screenname. Introducing myself as "David" gained me nothing but a kind, but blank, stare. Correcting myself by saying that "you might know me as 'AspieUtah'" worked better. One warning about Alex, though. He is disarmingly funny when he feels like it. If his career as the autistic little brother to more than 100,000 Wrong Planetians doesn't work out, he could easily end up on his own television comedy. :D

I tried the same by saying "I am AnonymousAnonymous from Wrong Planet." Alex said, "No, you're not." :lol:

If anyone wants to meet Alex whenever he is in your area, remember these in order to keep your cool:
{In no particular order}

-Yes, do introduce yourself by your WP screename. If Alex doesn't believe you, don't do or say anything to force him into believing you are who you say you are.

-Approach with caution, not only when you meet Alex, but be cautious around whoever he is with.

-Do indeed ask him about his special interests. He works in the film industry, so ask him questions about anything related to the film industry.

-Do say "How do you like {name of area that you live in"}?"

-Do not treat him like he is a celebrity.

-When you are finished, just say "Thanks Alex, you are an inspiration for Aspies around the world", or anything of the sort.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 4:40 pm

I certainly wouldn't treat him as a celebrity. I don't worship celebrities like many other people do. Being rich or well-known doesn't necessitate special treatment, in my opinion.

If I were famous, I'd hate being treated differently for it. I would have to go move somewhere where I was regarded as a nobody or go buy myself an island.

I don't get why some people here (seem to) worship the creator of the site. He did a really great thing, it's helped many people over the years, and he did show a lot of talent and ambition for someone of a young age. But I don't know him or know much about him, and I have no idea whether I would even get along with him.

If I went and tried to figure out where he was just to meet him, I'd feel really stalker-ish.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those that do feel that way, but I don't get it.

Sorry if my opinion has offended anyone.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

Y u no fix Captcha????

U had one job...

:P

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 12:54 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Y u no fix Captcha????

U had one job...

:P

I am sure they are working to rectify this issue. We are all having problems with the Captcha.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 11:01 am

"It's a pleasure to meet you, young sir!" I would like to buy you a tankard of the finest ale or lager!"

Oscar Meyer Lansky

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 3:20 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I certainly wouldn't treat him as a celebrity. I don't worship celebrities like many other people do. Being rich or well-known doesn't necessitate special treatment, in my opinion.

If I were famous, I'd hate being treated differently for it. I would have to go move somewhere where I was regarded as a nobody or go buy myself an island.

I don't get why some people here (seem to) worship the creator of the site. He did a really great thing, it's helped many people over the years, and he did show a lot of talent and ambition for someone of a young age. But I don't know him or know much about him, and I have no idea whether I would even get along with him.

If I went and tried to figure out where he was just to meet him, I'd feel really stalker-ish.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those that do feel that way, but I don't get it.

Sorry if my opinion has offended anyone.

I don't want to argue with you, but it's absolutely OK to feel self+conscious whenever you want to meet someone, Aspie or not. If I met Alex, I wouldn't treat him like he's a celebrity because Alex is just another Aspie living his life the way he wants.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 6:14 pm

The power of dreams is a wonderful bespoke thing. In future though, if you want to 'spell out' someone thoughts, don't appear in my dreams. The world is full of libraries already and being woken up in one is both rude and intrusive. And to round ot off, he not only broke off with captcha, he broke our dinner date too.