Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:02 am

I've found that ever since I joined this site there are many cat lovers as well as dog lovers.

I nearly went insane when I was living in a place without a critter to pet. Now that I have my 2 cuddly felines, I feel much more at ease. I'm wondering if this is somewhat of an aspie trait. Like petting them could be a form of stimming? :?

I don't know, I just thought it was weird. Plus I'm definitely a humanitarian when it comes to animals more so than humans which gives me a guilty complex. :(

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2008, 9:22 am

I love animals. Im fairly certain i would go insane if i couldnt have pets. I cant imagine living without my cats, but id also like a dog some day. Ive been an avid animal lover my entire life, and almost nothing affects me more than seeing animals in pain. Animal abuse is one of the worst things i know. I react more strongly to seeing an animal killed in a movie than seeing a person being killed in a movie.

patypixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2008, 9:34 am

same with me,I have a true love for my three cats,a long time ago I had a dog,but she ran away from my house.My mother always say:"you love for the animals is bigger than you love for the humans",and maybe its true,because I feel more easy "make a connection" with the animals.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 May 2008, 9:37 am

I have cats, dogs, rabbits, birds and fish.

They all enjoy being petted and I enjoy petting them.

Well...I don't stroke the fish. :lol: Or the birds (they bite).

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2008, 9:42 am

Yes, it has seemed to me that the majority are mainly cat lovers, too, myself included. I have always just seemed to identify better with them. Their behavior makes sense to me and i'm comfortable with it. I'm not as comfortable with most dogs as they tend to be more demanding of attention and physical contact.

Temple Grandin says the same thing and has made a great career out of identifying with animals.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:44 am

I appreciate the company of having a pet around, as the bumper sticker slogan goes: "the more I learn about people, the more I like my dog". It's nice to have company without feeling obligated (or being prompted) to talk to, or entertain somebody. I'm not a compulsive petter, though, but my dog is hairless and she's a little skittish sometimes about sudden approaches. She eats up attention in small doses, but is equally content to lie by herself. Can dogs have AS?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:45 am

To be honest, after joining, I've found I like cats quite less. I guess after liking them my whole life and then seeing some people go over-board with them, that got old really fast. Typically whenever I do like something, but so many people like it even more, I tire of whatever it was very quickly.

Dogs are a different story though. When I was little, I was afraid of dogs, with a few exceptions. But since I started high school, I found I am liking dogs a lot more now. However, skunks, to me, are the best!

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:51 am

I love small friendly dogs. I don't dislike big dogs, some are very nice, but their size can be a bit overwhelming for me since I am a small person.

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:53 am

Hahah that's funny Brittany2907, I used to have some large goldfish for a long time. I would pet them with my finger and a few of them would come up for a small rub....not sure if they thought my finger was food or they actually liked the little caresses. They kind of reminded me of a cat that swooshes by with a light touch of the leg.

I also had them respond in a hurry whenever I snapped my fingers which meant food time. They'd pop right up at the surface in a frenzy before their fish flakes were dumped in. :fish:

I got that idea from reading about the Pavlov Experiment with dogs.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 22 May 2008, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 10:01 am

it could be part of own aspergers because many on the spectrum connect better with animals than humans.
it's a stronger trait in more severe forms,this is why horse riding is great therapy if have this trait in a strong way,
as the profound connection that forms, opens up the mind and gives interaction on a deep level,horses seem to have that bond with autistics like cats and dogs do.

and am have always liked cats,if it wasnt for cats am would not be at this level,am will follow them everywhere and sit anywhere with them,and am known locally as 'the cat woman'.
GFBs original slave still is slave to him,but she allows am to be with him every day.

as for dogs,am do not hate them,am like them,but am cannot cope with the barking,am would have a dog if they allowed one here and if it was mute,but if david doesnt like cats [which are small] cause of their size,he would not like a huge alsatian or GSD either.

dad [aspie] had loads of dogs when he lived in ireland on a farm,his brother [also aspie] used to have cats and dogs,but am think hes only got one dog now,the rest got old and died.
Rach [sister,aspie] likes cats more than humans,and is a member of the cats protection league,but she has a problem with anything to do with dirt on them or their poo or wee,she hates cleaning it up and used to refuse to do it.
alan jr [cousin,autie] connects to dogs, but not to humans like am,he has a jack russel dog called Trixie.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 10:07 am

^Yeah I luv dogs but it's the barking that gets to me. There are some dogs like the one my grandma owns that doesn't bark but makes small sounds....she's an Akita and only barks when there's an intruder. I can't stand the yipping from the small dogs in my neighborhood. They cause so much tension in me.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2008, 10:34 am

I love my husky. He likes to be stroked, and another good thing about him is that he doesn't bark at all. Sometimes he howls, and usually he'll just make a soft "woo-woo"ing noise that's actually very soothing.

I've always loved dogs, because their emotions are easy to read. They show exactly what they are thinking and there's no mystery with them.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2008, 10:35 am

I love animals of all types, they are much easier to be around than humans. Right now I only have a cat, but I don't think I have ever lived without an animal of some sort. Dogs, cats, fish, ferrets, rabbits... one thing I've always wanted that I've never had: a lizard, preferably a gecko. SO cute...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 10:41 am

I love dogs. Every time I see someone walking their dog, I find myself petting it, and calling it a baby. I also have a Soft Coated Wheaten Poodle X named Chico. :O)

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2008, 11:12 am

I've had to go about 6 years now without feline company.
It really has taken its toll on me.

I'm a total grumpy old git before my time... though there is a visible personality change whenever I even spot a cat in the street... and suddenly I'll forget the rest of the world and try to make friends with the feline...

It never really lasts though.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2008, 11:23 am

I love animals, and I have cats, degus, rats and vietnamese walking sticks (insects that look like sticks)