Priest Bans Autistic Boy From Church

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 12:21 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4885322&page=1

I'm not sure what to think about this story. I can see the priest's POV, but I also think that it's clear from the article that the whole church looks down on this boy, and that he's totally misunderstood. :(

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 12:24 pm

That boy does sound kinda nuts. They say he is autistic but his behavior makes me question that.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 12:25 pm

That's exactly what profound autism looks like. He acts very much like my 4 y/o son.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:45 pm

He should play football.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 2:10 pm

Always difficult these kinds of situations. What kind of alternative offered the church and what kind of behaviour does the boy really show?

Sometimes behaviour CAN be dangerous to other people, because they do not know what he will do next. And it would be a bit asked too much to let a situation just play out when someone is sitting in a car with the motor running. Would he just sit there and enjoy the sound (some engines have a nice calming sound...) or would he hit the gas?

The best solution is talking with a third person present and not go to court. That way both the church and the boy will not be damaged in the media.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 3:19 pm

This child's behavior is exactly how LFA presents itself in adolesence.

I know a mother of a 15 yo LFA boy and she tells me stories of him pounding and kicking the windshield and grabbing the steering wheel in her van. How he hits his chin and head so many times that a callous is forming in the area where he hits.

This is a tough issue and I think both sides lost in this case

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 3:35 pm

serenity wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4885322&page=1

I'm not sure what to think about this story. I can see the priest's POV, but I also think that it's clear from the article that the whole church looks down on this boy, and that he's totally misunderstood. :(

I don't think so. It's hard to "misunderstand" his behaviour. I may not understand the boy, but I sure do understand the havoc he's caused.

You can defend anybody by saying, "Oh, he's misunderstood."

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 7:49 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Always difficult these kinds of situations. What kind of alternative offered the church and what kind of behaviour does the boy really show?

Watch the video from -1:25. It speaks of options given by the church and denied by the family. These were: Mass at home, streaming audio/visual of sermon, and mediation.

Frankly, I am siding with the church. If someone is disruptive in sermon, that person is keeping others from being participants.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2008, 10:19 pm

oscuria wrote:
Asterisp wrote:

Watch the video from -1:25. It speaks of options given by the church and denied by the family. These were: Mass at home, streaming audio/visual of sermon, and mediation.

Frankly, I am siding with the church. If someone is disruptive in sermon, that person is keeping others from being participants.

Well, considering that it really wasn't that long ago that the Catholic Church would have considered him "possessed" and would have demanded an "exorcism", I guess you could say they've at least made SOME progress. Not much, but some.

Although, as a Protestant, I can say that some of the churches my AS son and I have been too aren't all that much better, and he's HFA.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:40 am

A person in that condition cannot control himself fully. Being so, one can see why such a person is not allowed to participate in a religious organization. I doubt a person with coprolalia would be allowed to participate.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:41 am

... much less a person with coprophilia.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:41 pm

serenity wrote:
That's exactly what profound autism looks like. He acts very much like my 4 y/o son.
*nods* I was like when I was younger and severely Autistic.

I have to agree with the chruch, because silent is necessary for prayers. Maybe they should make a bible group for Autistic family or use the chruch on another day to pray without disturbing people?

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:30 pm

ebec11 wrote:
*nods* I was like when I was younger and severely Autistic.

I have to agree with the chruch, because silent is necessary for prayers. Maybe they should make a bible group for Autistic family or use the chruch on another day to pray without disturbing people?

Quote:
options given by the church and denied by the family. These were: Mass at home, streaming audio/visual of sermon, and mediation.

The church shouldn't be made the bad guy in this matter. It gave the family options, but the family feels it is entitled to participate. I don't think that's true because they are not the lone family in the congregation and must take them all into consideration (since it is ALL a family).