Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 2:04 pm

I have begun working in a day-care center in the 2-year-old room, and one of the children I work with displays a lot of characteristics of Asperger's syndrome/Autism spectrum disorder, though as far as I know he's undiagnosed.

I get on well with him, though I've only worked there about 2.5 months, and have only been on good terms with him about half of that time. He's very sweet and funny and silly, but he also has a lot of the difficulties associated with the syndrome--especially having trouble adapting to change, and difficulty socializing. He's very rule opriented, and gets very adamant about how things are supposed to be, and has a hard time deviating from that view.

I'm concerned because now that the year is ending, in a few weeks he's meant to head off to the 3-year room with everyone else, and though the lead teacher has asked me to help him in some way (we haven't discussed it much) to begin this transition to a new room and new teachers, I'm not sure how to approach this situation. I don't have any training in dealing with special-needs kids, I just happen to get on with him because I a)tolerate a lot of things from him that I probably wouldn't accept from anyone else, and b)can often get a 'feel' for his needs and emotional state which helps me figure out how to react. ( I worry because being in a situation with new teachers where more is expected of him, I fear that he'll be right back where he was with not really interacting as much and spending a lot of his time getting in trouble for perceived misbehaviours.)

Can anyone suggest some ways to help begin this transition? Should I walk him through the room, let him play with stuff? What are some things I can do and maybe say that will help him prepare for this new situation?

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:07 pm

Try a social story, they help a lot of children not just on the spectrum. It should help with the transition better.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2008, 2:14 pm

karasu wrote:
I have begun working in a day-care center in the 2-year-old room, and one of the children I work with displays a lot of characteristics of Asperger's syndrome/Autism spectrum disorder, though as far as I know he's undiagnosed.
Can anyone suggest some ways to help begin this transition? Should I walk him through the room, let him play with stuff? What are some things I can do and maybe say that will help him prepare for this new situation?

Maybe he just needs a Mom (since he doesn't REALLY have one). Given your limited authority to help, the best you can do is ask yourself what a kid is missing without a Mom and be a substitute as much as you can.

IF POOR PEOPLE DO IT - IT'S CALLED NEGLECT; IF RICH PEOPLE DO IT - IT'S CALLED *DAYCARE*! !!

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 2:18 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Try a social story, they help a lot of children not just on the spectrum. It should help with the transition better.

Any resources you can recommend for that? I'll check online, too. Thanks! :)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:39 pm

karasu wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

Any resources you can recommend for that? I'll check online, too. Thanks! :)

http://www.polyxo.com/socialstories/introduction.html

http://www.sandbox-learning.com/?gclid= ... xwodwUp0HA

http://www.socialstories.com/

Hope that helps alittle... Good luck!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 4:38 pm

I would really hesitate to show him the new "stuff" just yet. I think time is a relatively difficult concept for any child to grasp...what does two weeks mean? It's just to abstract a concept. So if you how him where he will be going to soon I think it would be just to confusing. Perhaps if you could take the tour closer to the actual time change....like the day before? Either way, I think it's going to be a rough transition, wish that weren't true. If you know of particular things that he likes in his current room perhaps there is something similar in the new room...the more similar things the better. If there is something that they have that you don't...like physical activities or toys...that might help him have a positive thing to look forward to.

I wish you both luck. This is a very hard area for me and I am 44.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 6:05 pm

hmm.. I dont know. I almost would suggest the opposite. It might be ok to show him around the new place he will be and tell him about when it will happen. That way he is part of the planning. I know that for me when i was a child, i liked to know ahead of time so that i could prepare. I liked to know the date so i could expect it. I definitely wouldnt want to be shuffled around without warning. Are we talking about breaking classes up into periods as opposed to a homeroom teacher that teaches everything, well then...please walk the kiddo through it. I remember nearly having a nervous breakdown at that age from switching schools and class procecures. Nobody had actually explained any of the changes to me and it made my head spin. I still to this day have nightmares about being in school with different class periods.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 11:05 pm

OP...... the 3 year room mean is he 3 years old? I still don't think I had a sense of time at that age...future/present were just to complicated. If someone said you are going to get a spanking next week or a gift....I think it would have just confused me?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2008, 11:02 am

dawndeleon wrote:
hmm.. I dont know. I almost would suggest the opposite. It might be ok to show him around the new place he will be and tell him about when it will happen. That way he is part of the planning. I know that for me when i was a child, i liked to know ahead of time so that i could prepare. I liked to know the date so i could expect it. I definitely wouldnt want to be shuffled around without warning. Are we talking about breaking classes up into periods as opposed to a homeroom teacher that teaches everything, well then...please walk the kiddo through it. I remember nearly having a nervous breakdown at that age from switching schools and class procecures. Nobody had actually explained any of the changes to me and it made my head spin. I still to this day have nightmares about being in school with different class periods.

I also think telling him some about it may be the way to go. It can be difficult to tell if he's actually listening or not, but I tend to think he pretty much doesn't miss anything that's going on, so discussing it with or at least describing it to him may be a good route to take. I really know nothing of the daily structure in the 3-year room, but it's located physically right next door to ours, and has a lot of better toys and things to interact with, so that's a plus. Anyway he's only 3 so that limits the amount of info I can really give him, but I guess in this case more is more...

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2008, 11:06 am

krex wrote:
OP...... the 3 year room mean is he 3 years old? I still don't think I had a sense of time at that age...future/present were just to complicated. If someone said you are going to get a spanking next week or a gift....I think it would have just confused me?

Yeah, and that's a concern (Actually he is the oldest child and will turn 4 soon, so he is developmentally behind his classmates in a lot of ways--he's just now getting toilet-trained, which has been an interesting experience in and of itself). What I want is to familiarize him with it enough that he doesn't get overly upset in the new room. I know he had a lot of difficulty just this past month graduating to a real bed (not sure of the whole story there, but...he's three. :? ) so that gives me some idea of what may happen when he moves on. On the other hand, it may be that he's more than ready and will surprise us all by bouncing off to the new room with no qualms whatsoever. I don't want to increase anxiety for him through my own concerns.