Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 12:51 am

Well, I smoked my last cigarette Wednesday night, so I have now been over 48 hours without smoking. I'm nic'ing, pacing and stimming like crazy, but so far so good. This coming from previously smoking between 1 and 2 packs a day. This is my 5th time quitting, I've managed to stay off of them for months at a time in the past, but one thing or another would happen and I'd smoke one and that would lead to another and before I knew it, back up to a pack a day lol. Anyone here that has successfully quit smoking and not gone back?

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 1:11 am

I haven't, but good luck.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 1:46 am

My longest sucessful quit was 2 weeks and 4 days. My old boss says I attract stress.

Good luck though, cause I know that first few days are the hardest!

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:35 am

Smoke enders topic

Good for you! It has been exactly 27 years since I quit the cigarette habit. And I quit cold turkey! 8O
It can be done, loveablenerd. Good luck. I hope you have a great support system! :sunny: :mrgreen: :cheers:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

24 May 2008, 10:22 am

Well I'm not a smoker...but my mother is currently trying to quit smoking.
She's given up two times and started again. The first time she gave up was for 4 years, the second time for almost 7 years.
She's cut down from smoking 1 packet of 25 per day, to smoking 3 cigarettes a day. She's been smoking 3 a day for 4 weeks, but seems to be VERY resistant about stopping altogether, even though she says that she's going to.

Good luck on quitting and I hope that you are successful and quit forever this time. :)

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 1:10 pm

You can actually get laser treatment to quit smoking. A friend at work got it and she is doing great.... no cravings or side effects. The insurance at work covers most of the costs because it is considered acupuncture therapy.

Basically they use the laser at three pressure points to block the body's reliance on nicotine, you are then recommened to take a lot of vitamin C for a few days to flush out the nicotine and you can go back 2 more booster laser treatements for no extra cost if you happen to get any cravings.

I only heard of this treatement a week ago and I think it is amazing! Anyone who really wants to quit should give this a try! It's far less stressful then the gums, patches, ect. The cost without insurance is about $200.00 in think....

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2008, 2:16 am

How is it going?

I have quit cold turkey lots of times, sometimes for only a few days, weeks, or months, but also stopped four times for 2-3 years in the last 15 years.

The last time I had a cigarette ( apart from one depressed and experimental rollie about a year and a half ago, only to stub it out after three drags because it seemed so totally uninteresting/mildly unpleasant) , was two and a half years ago.

:study:

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:22 am

My best wishes towards your continued success. I have a nicotine addiction.
Here's a website I found that really helped me in the past: http://whyquit.com/

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 3:22 am

My fifth day into it and it's HELL! I could only imagine what you're going through having smoked for longer than me. Good luck!

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 3:30 am

aylissa wrote:
My best wishes towards your continued success. I have a nicotine addiction.
Here's a website I found that really helped me in the past: http://whyquit.com/

Thanks aylissa, I found this helpful!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:17 pm

Just keep telling yourself "who cares since tobacco doesn't get me high". :idea:

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2008, 6:38 pm

Venger wrote:
Just keep telling yourself "who cares since tobacco doesn't get me high". :idea:

I think you're missing the point. Tobacco addiction doesn't stem from getting high, it's because you need it to feel normal. Anyone who hasn't been addicted to cigarettes can't fully understand why its so reinforcing, but if you don't have nicotine it's gonna take it's toll both mentally and physically, basically harming your body and mind before healing. Any substance which alters your brain and body chemistry will cause withdrawals.