How do you hold yourself to an exercise regimen?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 7:01 pm

I haven't been exercising at all the past few years but this summer I tried to hold myself to doing daily push-ups and semi-regular stretching. Unfortunately even this is hard to keep up because one day I'll either forget entirely or just say "I've had a crummy day, I'd rather not bother"

and running? fuhgeddaboutit, my cardiovascular system is shot and I haven't tried to do any kind of serious running since high school. So, any of you folks exercise regularly and how do you keep yourself on your schedule?

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 7:08 pm

Three little letters.

They're an acronym.

Can you guess what they are?

First person to guess gets a cool point.

((Remember where you are before you give up.))

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 7:10 pm

For exercise, I swim almost every afternoon after school. A regular practice schedule and other people to hold me accountable to what I do really helps. If I'm really having a bad day or something like that, I don't swim, but I try to get in at least some exercise, which might only consist of running from class to class at school rather than walking and taking my time.

My main suggestion: Find something you enjoy doing and find someone to hold you accountable so that you will actually follow through with your schedule. Don't start out so hard that you feel like you're going to quit a few days into it. Instead, start easy and build up to what you feel you should be doing. And don't be too hard on yourself if this takes a couple of tries to get right. Also, if you have a calendar or something, you can put a sticky note reminding you to exercise each day. Once you've completed your exercise, move the sticky note to the next day.

By the way, if you really don't want to run, you don't have to. There are other ways to get in cardiovascular exercise, and most aerobic workouts should work. :)

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2005, 7:11 pm

Since ive graduated from uni and moved back home wih my parents, i never leave the house. Im putting on weight. Started exercising everyday now.

But im very lazy ! in fact one of the most lazy people i know. I have low motivation to do anything, even my obsessions. I had the same problem as you. But its just a matter of getting into routine, a bit of discipline is needed. If you cant be bothered to the pushups, just think, oh screw it ill do 1. YES 1. Everytime you being lazy just think to yourself, theres always time to do 1 pushup. Just keep doig this and eventually you will get into habit of just doing 1 pushup. But when you do 1 you might as well make it 10, no 20 .... you get the idea :D

Once you in routine, you would actually find it discomforting to not carry out your exercise regime.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 7:17 pm

Serissa wrote:
Three little letters.

They're an acronym.

OCD?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 9:37 pm

I hold myself to an exercise regimen through self-motivation. I was fat when I was younger, which only aggravated my social problems. I never want to be fat again. It's hard enough being me as it is.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 12:37 am

I just love to weight lift - I don't know why - but I feel bad when I don't do it . . . I'm an endorphin junky, though, so that probably has something to do with it . . .

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 12:48 am

Generally if Im playing a sport I will exercise regularly if not I wont, though when I used to be a cross country runner before I could do it in school I would just run a few miles a day and just see it as a rutine like any other thing aspies do, though that was so long ago I forget how I did it.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 12:53 am

You have to do it because you want to do it - not for the gains, not for what it does for your health after a few years, but because you've gotten yourself to where you actually enjoy the event of working out and like how it feels. If you hate working out it's gonna be incredibly hard to make yourself do it unless you're just extremely dedicated to some sports-related goal. My advice is work out hard enough but not to where you're aching and feeling like hell for the next few days. Work out just enough to where it has you feeling good, to where the event in itself was more fun than anguis, and as your body gets used to it then maybe focus on driving yourself a little harder if you want. People may say you don't gain as much that way but, then again, if you can't adhere to a program you'll gain a lot less.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2005, 3:38 pm

I have been trying to keep myself working out every morning. I get up at 5am to workout out at 24 hr. fitness. Since I work next store to my job I get up at 5 workout for about 2 hours then get ready for work. How do I make myself do this? I remember that I can have my mother's body figure and if I don't want it, I have to keep working out, I also remember that my metabolism is slowing down now that I am 30........so thinking of my mother, keeps me working out and my age. (But my mom has had 3 kids to, I don't have any children)

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 7:59 pm

Serissa wrote:
Three little letters.

They're an acronym.

Run?

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 8:18 pm

Sophist wrote:
Serissa wrote:
Three little letters.

They're an acronym.

OCD?

BINGO!! !

WilsonFisk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2005, 8:20 pm

fahreeq wrote:
I hold myself to an exercise regimen through self-motivation. I was fat when I was younger, which only aggravated my social problems. I never want to be fat again. It's hard enough being me as it is.

It's hard to believe you were fat after seeing a pic of you (in the pic section of this forum) - you look super slim. Whatever your exercise regimen is, it's working :wink:

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 2:44 pm

Serissa wrote:
Sophist wrote:
Serissa wrote:
Three little letters.

They're an acronym.

OCD?

BINGO!! !

Do I get a cookie?? ::hopeful eyes::

Chocolate chip... easy on the chocolate. ;)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2005, 3:05 pm

Sophist wrote:
Do I get a cookie?? ::hopeful eyes::

Chocolate chip... easy on the chocolate. ;)

You get a cookie, fresh from the WP site- you can rbowse without having to reneter your password at every step now! Woohoo!! !