Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:54 am

Who's a clever boy then?
A CHILD genius has been accepted into Mensa after proving he is among the brightest in the country – despite having a medical condition which sees him taught at home.

Hartlepool youngster Sam Neesam, 11, has been tipped as a child prodigy after he scored a whopping 144 in an IQ test – the average person scores 100.

He has now been invited to join Mensa on the basis that he is among the top in the country and mum Janice Neesam, 38, said that his score places him within the top 0.2 per cent.

How to spot a child genius - Try our mini MENSA challenge

She said: "I'm not surprised, I'm impressed. I'm over the moon, I'm dead proud of him."

The youngster, who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and Asperger's Syndrome, is currently schooled from home and is a particular fan of maths and science.

Asperger's Syndrome is a form of autism affecting how sufferers interact socially.

Single mum Janice said: "He is a genius child so far as IQ is concerned.

"He is able to retain facts better than other kids. He is like a little encyclopedia. He is certainly cleverer than I am."

Sam took the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence test in which he answered mind-boggling questions on verbal reasoning, logical reasoning and visual puzzles.

His results were forwarded to Mensa and he was instantly invited to join the 700 under-16 members in the UK.

A spokesman said: "It's a fantastic achievement.

"This opens up a network of similar like-minded people who have achieved the same score."

Sam, who has a brother called Maxwell Neesam, 10, who has autism, will be invited to social events and can speak to other gifted people in online chat forums.

"He could probably have a conversation with somebody twice his age and that person probably won't know how old Sam is," added the spokesman.

Janice, of Stratford Road, Hartlepool, is currently looking to send Sam to Brekenbrough School, in Thirsk, a special school where she believes he can fulfil his potential.

She said: "He could definitely be something. His IQ is in the professor level whether he applies his ability to academics or not.

"As long as he is happy I don't care what he is."

Mensa conduct test sessions in areas of popular demand. To find out more log on to www.mensa.org.uk

My comment:
I can not helped but wonder what would happen if all the children on the autism spectrum were given the correct education they need in schools, it does seem the children on the autism spectrum who are homes schooled often do better!

I have aspergers and ADHD, apart from other associated conditions - school and me just did not work, I was not just let down by the whole system, I could even go so far to say I was damaged by the experience.

Lack of real education and qualifications becomes a life time problem , especially when you are so misunderstood as well...

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:55 am

Oh good for him!

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 9:04 am

There goes another one to that bastard organisation.

I've never trusted Mensa and I never will. I'm wary around anything to do with them because they're a bunch of scheming, dangerous bastards. They manipulate things behind the scenes, y'know.... We're talking Illuminati level. Mensa should not be allowed to get away with such things. They use their supposed exclusivity not just as a filtering program for particular candidates... but to keep people in the dark over what they are actually up to.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:37 am

What are they actually up to, Soti? You seem to have an idea.

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 9:49 am

What makes you so sure of that?

They hide their agendas, and I'm not exactly a sleuth detective. They don't exactly do so well at hiding that they ARE manipulating things though. That information, to some extent, is harmless.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:51 am

Really? What's their agenda? Do they want to rule the world?

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:27 am

good for him, it'll help him alot with his confidence and help him to make the best out of his gifts :wink:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:30 am

I just hope all this adulation doesn't turn him into an arrogant jerk.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 2:12 pm

According to this website: http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

You only have to have an IQ a little bit above 130 to join Mensa?

Sign me up :roll: