I have a few questions for people with Asperger's syndrome.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 6:33 am

rtk42505 wrote:

1. When were you first diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome what was it like?

2. How is it like living with Asperger's syndrome?

3. Does anyone else in your family have Asperger's syndrome?

4. Are people around you supportive? (your family and friends)

5. Do you feel like your treated diffrently?

1. I was diagnosed when I was 16 during the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school. It actually was a rather enlightening experience. I finally understood why I was the way I was, and if I could nullify the negative aspects and enhance the positive aspects I could actually become superior to normalcy.

2. It's not really all that bad. There are somethings I have trouble with, but I find I can usually overcome such difficulties if I try hard enough.

3. I have an uncle who at least displays some of the traits, not sure if he actually has it or not though.

4. Yes, my family is very supportive of me (although I only occasionally need their support in these matters nowadays). My friends will also help me out when I directly ask them to.

5. Not really. Most people who know I have Asperger's Syndrome knew me for a long time before I was diagnosed. And since I'm always sure to explain the symptoms their reaction is generally to the effect of "that figures" and go on treating me exactly as before.

5. Not really.