Chronic pain as a kid?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 15

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2008, 2:15 am

Another "comorbidity" question. ABC News has an interesting story about a man who's the oldest living survivor of "severe infantile" Marfan syndrome (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/PainNews/s ... 746&page=1).
The writer mentions how doctors have recently become aware of a phenomenon that chronic severe pain in childhood can totally screw up the child's neural development, so that he or she perceives sensations wrong (i.e., a normal touch can be perceived as pain).

Since Asperger's involves being extra sensitive to inputs that don't bother NTs, i wonder how many people had to endure severe chronic pain, for one reason or another.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:30 am

I was/am very sensitive to pain and discomfort; I'm not sure if that would qualify, but I spent a lot of time at the doctor's/nurse's office due to headaches, stomach pain, etc.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 3:21 am

I was in pain a lot when I was a kid; Mainly stemming from other people's violence, from having developed a nervous habit of picking at scabs(since dealt with), and also from a myriad of small accidents and intentionally inflicted hurts. Not to mention a great deal of social isolation, a lack of faith in authority(school officials), and terrible days when I'd come home to cry into my pillow(melt-downs). That was pretty much my childhood.

I got so hurt, my sense of pain is totally out of whack. Sometimes something that shouldn't hurt hurts, and sometimes, something that should hurt, doesn't. Plenty of head injuries, too. At least one yearly, sometimes two. One particular year, I got heavy blows to the head from things like a falling rock, a mis-thrown(yet very fast and hard)football, a meeting of head and ground, having my head stood upon by some as*hole, and even getting whacked in the forehead with a frying pan.

I'm amazed that my mind still functions at all, honestly. All the injuries I've gotten, I'm sure that there have been some serious effects on me. For one thing, my hearing isn't quite right. I wear a heavy prescription of glasses. I'm insomniac, have problems with getting restful sleep, and have a poor sense of organization.

Now that I think about all this, I'm think I should go see a professional of some kind. Just in case.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 3:38 am

Self-inflicted... a moderate amount - gnawed my fingernails beyond belief and bleeding, hit my head, and when I got really upset I would go on miles long walks barefoot. The pain helped clear up the rage and confusion; the blisters reminded me to stay calm for awhile afterwards.

M.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 3:38 am

Hmmm... I'm like the exact oppisite... I have an amazingly high tolerance to pain.

So does my little bro, I think he may be on the spectrum as well... but it's weird that we aren't sensitive.

I know NOW why I'm used to pain... but when I was a kid... there was no reason. See, I deal with a constant pain that would probably knock most other people to their knees, and I feel it daily. It's only once in a while it's gotten bad, I've just gotten used to the background noise of the pain. One doc actually asked me how the heck I even walked in his office, let alone had a somewhat normal life.

But that happened when I was 16. Before that even, nothing ever really... hurt. I guess I'm just weird.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 3:45 am

kip wrote:
Hmmm... I'm like the exact oppisite... I have an amazingly high tolerance to pain.

So does my little bro, I think he may be on the spectrum as well... but it's weird that we aren't sensitive.

I know NOW why I'm used to pain... but when I was a kid... there was no reason. See, I deal with a constant pain that would probably knock most other people to their knees, and I feel it daily. It's only once in a while it's gotten bad, I've just gotten used to the background noise of the pain. One doc actually asked me how the heck I even walked in his office, let alone had a somewhat normal life.

But that happened when I was 16. Before that even, nothing ever really... hurt. I guess I'm just weird.

I guess I should clarify - nowadays not so much on a universal basis... as I've grown older, I've become much more capable of coping with familiar pain - bad knee, bad back, et al - but new pains, abdominal issues, and other unfamiliar pains and sensations are difficult to deal with and often throw me for a complete loop. I should have made the distinction initially.

M.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:49 am

Yes, neuropathic pain as far back as I can remember, as well as pain related to hypermobility syndrome (which has some things in common with Marfan's and some different), migraines, and trigeminal neuralgia. However, I have a high tolerance to many kinds of pain. Having chronic pain and a high pain tolerance are not opposites.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm

Yeah, a lot, of it, especially in my feet.