Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2008, 1:19 pm

My AS friend has a habit of slicing into his fingers when he's cutting things up in the kitchen, but he never really seems to respond to the pain. He told me once that he wasn't interested in reacting to it, that he just wanted to get on with things.

I've noticed I have an odd response to pain as well. I tend to ignore it, and in some cases I even find it comforting. It gives my mind something to focus on and when I'm stressed it can sometimes soothe me.

I just wondered if anyone else had these experiences.

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2008, 1:21 pm

I dont mind pain. Ive always been way too tolerant with pain. I didnt even cry when i fell off the swing in kindergarden (it was a high fall) and i got a concussion. I didnt mind giving birth... Im weird this way. It takes a lot for me to start screaming over physical pain.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:25 pm

I seem to tolerate severe pain better than others. Yet conversely small things irritate me, like a paper cut on the finger. I can't wear headbands because after five minutes I get a headache.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:30 pm

Some kinds of pain aren't even uncomfortable. Other kinds will put me in bed because I can't stand up straight. Just depends.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:59 pm

I actually like certain types of pain - muscle ache, sunburn, bruises (Ive never had anything serious though). Other types of pain I dislike - headaches, stomachaches, sorethroats.

A couple of weeks ago I hit my bare toe against something and ever since it hurts when I move it - so of course I keep moving it all the time, just to feel that particular pain. In fact that's probably why it isnt getting better. I was feeling really depressed last week, and this pain in my toe was the only thing I could actually appreciate.

26 May 2008, 10:23 pm

I used to cry pain, when I fall down on the side walk, fall off my bike, hit my head, etc. but by the time I was in fifth grade I had gotten so used to pain, it didn't bother me anymore. It would still hurt but it didn't hurt enough. I can hit my head and it won't hurt as much. I won't say anything.
I remember the time at work I was doing laundry and I was trying to push the laundry out so I can get it all in the bin. I was using the medal bar we use to push the laundry out, well the laundry started coming down out of the shoot after I pushed the bottom part of it out of the way, I let go of the bar and it hit me in the head it hurt and I held my head and I felt a little funny. There was no blood thank god. I went back to work after the pain got better. Luckily I didn't have a concussion.

Oh yeah muscles being sore doesn't bother me. It just means I have been having a good work out.

NUTLOG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2008, 10:06 am

veruniel wrote:
My AS friend has a habit of slicing into his fingers when he's cutting things up in the kitchen, but he never really seems to respond to the pain.

Heh, reminds me of way back when I had a job, when I cut my fingers up at work and didn't really notice until I started getting blood over everything. :( Had to put on about 5 plasters to stop me from messing up the product packaging. But often, I'm very sensitive to pain, so I dunno...seems pretty random. I usually find pain very distracting and can't focus on anything else, but the same can be said about itchiness. I'm almost constantly itchy and it drives me nuts sometimes.
I consider myself a sissy, but some people back at high school called me 'hard' because they'd punch me in the arm and I didn't really respond. Though often it was a little painful, I just didn't react to it on the outside. Maybe I should have, perhaps I would have gotten hit less often, or perhaps more, who knows? I once ended up with 10 individual bruises on one arm, and those were from my best friend at the school, so I guess I was just the kind of guy who's fun to hit. That didn't bother me though, looked worse than it felt. But when I bruised my coccyx, holy macaroni! To me that was the worst pain ever. I felt it whenever I walked for literally years afterwards and that bothered me very much so. Or when I bruised my little finger and it swelled up and turned black, then purple, then yellow. That was unbearable too, but pretty, what with all the colours and all.

So in conclusion, some things hurt, some things don't and I'll be damned if I can spot a pattern.

acannon
Raven
Raven

27 May 2008, 12:22 pm

Large pains usually don't bother me as much as dull aches and pains, and little cuts. I hate paper cuts, needle pricks, headaches, stomach aches, sore throat, and dull, throbbing pains, but when I burnt myself really badly in Science class on a burner once (2nd degree burns on my hand) and childbirth without any pain-relieving medication wasn't as bad as other people describe. The initial pain from breaking my nose wasn't as bad as when it started to throb. It just seems like throbbing pain is more endless than the initial pain from an injury, and it's all you can think about until it goes away.As you can see, though, I have a "high tolerance" for pain.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2008, 1:40 pm

high tolerence to most types of pain...

pleasure experience to some types of pain... like the post about the toe....

extreme intolerence to small, nitpicky types of pain...

I hate funny bones, paper cuts, and slivers.