Does opposite of lactose intolerant exist? Meat intolerant?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 8:08 pm

I think i'm meat intolerant and no one will believe me, i get really big stomache aches after eating meat and I get bloated go to the toilet a lot, mostly with burgers and saugues. I have a weird diet as it is mosly diary eg pizza, cheese sandwiches, bread, cereal with lots of milk. I seem to loovve milk and diet coke. but meat drives me nuts. I like the taste its yummy
Thin sliced meats are easier on my stomache and chicken soup doesn't do much, it can be soothing sometimes.

No one will believe me, my mum is strange and objected to my thearpists surgestions that i should add veggie burgers into my diet again as she said they smell when their cooked. She stops me from having a lot of food with spices or something because they 'smell' its not fair.

My niece who's a baby, my sister has just discovered she lactose intorant and getting all the milk alternatives for her..everyone accepts that because she crys when she eats milk or has a rash or something.

Everyone in my family are against vegetarians saying its a waste, and u need protein.

I am so fustrated! When i move out i guess i wont be afraid to buy 'smelly meals'

help!
:pale:

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 8:42 pm

I was a meat cutter, and I am slightly meat intolerant, I do like a good
steak or burger, but can only eat meat a couple of times each week.
I would avoid ground meat, as its likely to be ground using dirty
equipment, and if you only eat meat occasionally, get a prime cut, not
the cheaper cuts that are of lower quality, and are most likely gristly
and not trimmed of excess fat, that might make meat alittle more
enjoyable for you.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:36 pm

I know three people, all of them women, who find that eating meat (animal muscle tissue) makes them physically sick. One of them loves the smell and taste of it. She'll cook, for example, a leg of lamb or some chops for her family's dinner, and sometimes she can't resist a few bites, but she suffers for it afterward.

Poultry doesn't bother her as much, and she can eat small quantities of hamburger mince and sausage now and then, without ill effect.

You don't have to buy commercially-made vegiburgers. They are fairly easy to make from readily-available ingredients, like chickpeas, cracked wheat, etc. They can be as spicy or bland as you like. And they taste incredibly good on a big toasted bread roll with a bit of lettuce and tomato.

If you normally eat a lot of wheaten products, you might consider adding in a variety of other grains or starches, and see how you go with them.

I don't know if anecdotal information of this kind will do much to persuade your family. But it is true that everyone has his or her unique biochemistry, and what succeeds brilliantly for one could be a total disaster for another.

Anyway, good luck! :)

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 2:43 pm

I can't eat meat either, it makes me so sick. Doesn't matter what kind of cut or what type.
I can eat a bit of chicken and turkey but even then too much upsets my stomach.
I usually eat a special kind of veggiburger my grandmother (not the one I live with) buys me when I visit her (she buys a bunch so I have a box or two at all times to bring home)

Same problem in my family, a lot of them don't believe me and I actually had the issue at a family gathering where others were on non-meat diets and ate all my veggiburgers then proceeded to tell me just to eat a regular burger as I was a teen and had no reason to eat the non-meat ones.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2008, 9:03 pm

Eating problems seem to be fairly common here; although I'm somewhat reversed, I can't eat vegetables of any kind (unless its processed and turned into french fries, although I didn't even like those when I was young).

traveller011212
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2008, 2:34 pm

try poultry and fish. It could be red meat intolerance or that your stomach turns from the fat. Also, it can take several weeks for new intake receptors to colonize in the intestinal wall (long story). The extra protein and amino acids would be great food for lower intestinal microbes. Also, too much protein can cause kidney damage.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 12:32 am

The same thing happens to my sister. I always used to think that she was being vain, but after many years, I now know that she really can't tolerate meat.

latreefarmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2008, 2:24 pm

I am exactly like that. I haven't always been this bad, just got worse as I hit my twenties and into my thirties. I eat a lot of venison as it is lean and does not bother me. i must limit how much beef I eat, and try to keep it lean. I think the fat is the problem. Fatty chicken or turkey bother me, and any battered or fried meat is out of the question.
I can eat lean slices of meat, boneless skinless chicken or turkey, eggs in moderation, but no sausage (fat and spicy). I stay away from processed meats (fats and filler stuff added). I think it is some how related to our genetic makeup as Aspies and how we are able to digest foods.
lean fish is also good. vegetarian is not necessarily the answer. Oh, and food preparation makes all the difference in the world. I can eat some foods cooked by wife in olive oil but not at a restaurant where there preparation will have lots of fats and oils.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2008, 8:18 pm

Try one type of food/remove at a time to see what is that messes you up ?
most meats have alot of werid bugs that's why you cook it it kills 99.99 of them. I stopped drinking diet soft drinks the fake sugars would make me feel werid.
No doz is a good caffine replacement i find. You can get pill cutter to get 100 millgram at a time doses.

pennypincher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm

Interesting. For me it is just poultry. I can eat beef, pork, venison, and fish. Anything containing a trace of poultry makes me sick for three days. I get severe diarrhea. I did vomit once and that time I was so sick the whites of my eyes turned yellow.

Goose25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

Wob, have you ever had a milk allergy? I know you say you drink a lot of milk, but one thing that came to mind when you said sausages bothered you was casein sensitivity. Milk proteins can be added to some meats (makes them easier to slice). I, for one, got quite sick on beef and even ham - until I discovered uncured varieties with no casein. It eliminated the problem for me.

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

It wouldn't be lactose intolerance, but have read of those with milk allergies, the most common in the US, to also have issues with beef and need to avoid both.

You might also try eating grass fed beef to see if that goes down better. Have read of people having issues with typical grain fed meats.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm

there are a rare few people that do do better on high carb and vegetable diets. many like me would become sick on it though.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

SleepyDragon wrote:
But it is true that everyone has his or her unique biochemistry, and what succeeds brilliantly for one could be a total disaster for another.

Yes, exactly. It may take some trial and error to see what will work for you OP, but if you can strike a balanced diet that works for you, I think it would be worth it. If you do wind up doing an elimination diet (ie. cutting out meat), you'll just want to do a lot of careful research and maybe see a nutritionist, as well, to make sure you're getting enough of the nutrients you need from other sources.

For whatever it's worth, I've also known a few people who thought they were intolerant of meat, particularly red meat, and they were all female, too.