Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 10:03 pm

As my psych appointment nears, I'm a bit nervous. I want to try anything that'd help, but I don't want to have some meds that make me feel extremely loopy all the time, just somehow get helps for all the panic attacks and anxieties I've always had. How's a psych interview go? And how is one evaluated?

dudeofthedead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2008, 10:18 pm

Sometimes meds can help, especially for depression. Tell your psychiatrist your worries about medication making you feel odd.

I've had a few sessions with psychiatrist lately regarding AS. They seemed unintrusive and pretty easy to deal with; if you find yourself uncomfortable, you can say so. :)

Jayman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2008, 10:19 pm

I myself am on medication. I was on an atypical antipsychotic called risperdal for Asperger's. That was a horrible idea and my IQ is most likely afflicted. I am currently on a Selective Seretonin Reuptake Inhibitor which is the most common type of medication for depression and anxiety. Your psychiatrist will also most likely prescribe a SSRI. It has improved my mood without any apparent side effects. Remember that your nervousness may be due to anxiety and a psychiatrist should be beneficial. Your psychiatrist will most likely give you some checklists and screen for any serious disorders. Basically she or he will just ask you questions.

qaliqo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 10:41 pm

Obstinate wrote:
...I don't want to have some meds that make me feel extremely loopy all the time, just somehow get helps for all the panic attacks and anxieties I've always had...

Tell your general practitioner that you are having panic attacks, and describe them. Then you will get a benzodiazepine and the psych eval will go smooth as silk. 8)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:56 pm

Remember that psychologists like to feel smart. So don't tell them what you think you have; just give them all your symptoms and let them draw the obvious conclusion.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 11:12 pm

Yeah, that's the thing I'm worried about, that they don't completely hear me out about everything and just say "Okay, you said this and this. We'll give you meds for that!" and it totally makes my other problems so much worse. I'm also looking to hopefully get evaluated for AS.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2008, 9:56 am

I have an anxiety disorder and take Celexa...as someone else said, and SSRI is probably going to be prescribed. Don't use a tranquilizer such as ativan or xanax...they can be addictive.

I also take risperidone (just 1 mg) which helps tremendously, and is great. I don't get the flashes of irritation or anger when I can't cope. I'm alot more stable and happier.

Good luck. A good psychiatrist will listen, and try and help you overcome the anxiety so you can live your life without fear and panic attacks.

Just remember that if you have an anxiety disorder, it's never really gone. We can manage it, and the meds help alot, but it'a called a disorder for a reason. For some reason, we're just like that.

There is relief...and the docs are there to help. But tell them of your concern. Trust me, they have dealt with it before, and will understand.