Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 10:43 am

edit

Last edited by Sorenna on 31 May 2008, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 11:17 am

I'm not sure of the exact definition of complex PTSD, but I think I qualify (serious long term abuse I haven't recovered from - no priests involved though, as far as I know).

How do I cope? Not very well, I'm afraid. I have no resources - not enough money to live on, no friends/family to help out, no way of earning a living, etc. It's not pretty. Every day is a struggle just to survive, and I don't have the luxury of dealing with these issues on top of that. But I do see gradual recovery from some of the damage, even as the damage from being on welfare long term increases (now that's something that can also cause PTSD).

kip
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 11:46 am

Yea, I suffer from a bit of PTSD. Just the other day, BF was killing a bug, and it made me cry. Because he did it behind me. I saw his hand move out of the corner of my eye though, and it brought back way to many memories.

Although, I do suppose it'd be easier to get over the trauma if I wasn't forced to live with it every day... Right now my leg feels broken. Not sore like usual, well, it is just as sore as usual... but usually if I move it, it's not like it hurts any more than before. But today, it's excruciating. And of course I don't think they've come up with a pill for this level of pain. No, this requires an IV.

So yea, living every day with the reminder that your wonderful loving father thought he could beat normalacy into you makes PTSD even that much worse. I envy all those people out there whose worst experience is breaking an arm playing footie or something.

And just dealing with day to day life is hard. I mean, AS or this, maybe I could deal with it. But both? I swear every day is like being all jazzed up for a fight that's rigged.

Although... I think in a way the PTSD causing events make me stronger... I hate that it happened, but I'm not so sure I'd give it all up.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2008, 12:20 pm

Sorenna wrote:
Does anyone on here have complex PTSD on top of autism?

If so, how do you cope?

I don't want to go into detail, but think long term priest abuse- not like a single event. Not that a single event is any less traumatic!

Anyone else have complex PTSD along with this?

Sorenna

Sadly, I think a disproportionate number of Autistics have encountered some form of abuse. I think there are many reasons why we are so easily victimized. I often feel like there's nobody looking out for me, and that the world could care less one way or another; given the evidence, it's hard to believe otherwise.

Myself, I was sexually abused once as a child, and then abused emotionally and sexually within a relationship as an adult. When it happened as an adult, I ended up going into some sort of fugue state. There were many times where I would black out - and when I came to, I had apparently been going along with something my abuser wanted me to do, and I didn't behave differently as far as anyone could tell - but when I came back, I had no idea what I had done, or where I was. To this day, I still don't fully understand it. I had some pretty severe PTSD after the relationship too. This sort of thing never quite leaves you, but I've learned to deal with it on my own terms over many years.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2008, 12:41 pm

I have PTSD in addition to AS and ADD. I had a rather difficult childhood (verbal and mental abuse from a former step parent) and was bullied constantly until high school graduation. For the past few years, I was doing well until I had a major accident last summer and I've been dealing with the PTSD issues since then.