Aspies, do you ever feel tension from others?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2008, 12:31 pm

More so when i was young i often felt like i was feeling others' tension while just around other people or when speaking with them. I could not have told you why i felt it or if it was truly coming from their anxiety or mine. At times, it was very obvious that someone present was angry because they were huffing or plainly expressing it verbally or yelling. Other times, though, there was nothing i could have pinpointed as a cause for anyone else to be tense, yet i felt tension. Now that i know about my AS, and because it seems that it pretty much disappeared when i reached adulthood, i have to wonder if the tension was coming from others or was actually just inside of me when i could see no other cause.

Does anyone feel like they are feeling someone else's tension?

Last edited by deadpanhead on 27 May 2008, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 12:41 pm

I always feel tension when my AS side of the family gets together. Everyone wants to do their own thing, but wants the others to go along with it.

autism
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2008, 1:14 pm

Yes I do feel tension.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2008, 1:15 pm

Only around people that matter like at work and at home.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2008, 2:11 pm

I feel tense around ppl I don't know, it takes alot of time for me to get comfortable enough to talk to ppl (not good for my work). By osmosis I unfortunately take on other ppl's moods/emotions whatever you want to call them. I never realized I was doing it until it was pointed out to me a few years ago, and now I try not to, but sometimes I can't help it.

trotz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2008, 3:00 pm

Whenever I'm outside going for a walk or whatever, I feel tension when people come around. I get the feeling that they will want to stop me for something of their own interest. I don't really like to be bothered, especially by people I've never met before. My first reaction is to look away from such people, hoping it would force them into ignoring me.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:16 pm

edit

Last edited by Sorenna on 31 May 2008, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:16 pm

Yes.
it is hard to describe...i will get around to it evenutally.

I seem to pick up on other people's emotions sometimes...whether I want to or not.

amouramarie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2008, 5:05 pm

I do this ALL the time. It seems that the more negative emotions are stronger/easier to pick up. Tension, impatience, resentment. Sometimes I also wonder if it's just me projecting my discomfort and attributing it to the people around me. It doesn't feel that way, though. :/ Who knows?

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 5:48 pm

I think I pick-up on other peoples anger and aggrivation very easily. Mostly close family members.

5thelement
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2008, 7:37 pm

yes - I'm pretty sure with me it's often other peoples - not always at the time it's happening as sometimes I'm scanning to see if it could actually be me ! :oops - panic ! : - but having said that, it's kind of like a prediction ....erm , more like i can see/sense it coming and it so often proves correct after the event- like being an 'early warning receptor' - like sensing thunderstorms way way before anyone else - yep, that's abetter way of putting it - anyone else get this?

'5th'

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 9:19 pm

I’m extremely sensitive to other people. Stuff like nervous throat clearing, tapping, and heaving breathing all conspire to make me feel extremely up tight. Even if I have no reason to be nervous myself, just being around people who act nervous or impatient will put me on edge.

The worst part is that I can’t help being hypocritical. I know I have my own nervous habits that I do, so I can empathize with people, yet I still have such a hard time relaxing around some people. I've always been bothered by noises people make too.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 May 2008, 9:37 pm

I feel very tense when things happen around my house somtimes. My husband just has to start venting when things aren't giong well and I'm in insta-tizzy because of his tension.

I hate this. I usually know that others are tense, but not why, so then I get anxiety from not understanding the why.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2008, 5:08 am

deadpanhead wrote:
Does anyone feel like they are feeling someone else's tension?

All the time.

I'm instinctively very sensitive to other peoples' moods. I can't always read people well, at least not consciously, but if someone is extremely sad or agitated (or extremely happy, conversely), I will begin to mirror their emotional state. I don't know why I pick up on these things, but I do and it can be very disturbing.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 5:34 am

It's been a large problem for me. You could cut it with a knife it's so thick - always made me feel awkward.

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2008, 5:39 am

If I'm around tense people, I'll notice sometimes and not others.... and my reaction depends on my own mood. If I'm fairly stressed myself, I'll just get cautious and avoidant....
... but otherwise I tend to start getting the urge to poke them until they snap. The need to test their limits and amuse myself with their stress is one I do endeavour to avoid acting on.