Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 2:38 pm

its like that saying "Those who can do, those who can't teach" most of my elementary teachers, were lazy no good idiots, I learned to read because of my dad

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2008, 3:05 pm

spudnik wrote:
its like that saying "Those who can do, those who can't teach" most of my elementary teachers, were lazy no good idiots, I learned to read because of my dad

There are two very important principles that should be taught by parents right away:

1. Public school is mainly for teaching you how to deal with other humans without getting shot, and to give very basic tests to make sure you can absorb the most basic level of knowledge.

2. Get in the practice of learning things ON YOUR OWN, because you can't expect your teachers to meet your educational needs. Although many teachers would LOVE to support your love of knowledge, they have to spend most of their time preparing lessons that are suitable for the slowest and laziest students in their classes. Jump through the hoops, and then make friends with the library.

If a high school student can master both of these by graduation, the transition to college will be MUCH smoother.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 3:14 pm

tharn wrote:
spudnik wrote:

There are two very important principles that should be taught by parents right away:

1. Public school is mainly for teaching you how to deal with other humans without getting shot, and to give very basic tests to make sure you can absorb the most basic level of knowledge.

2. Get in the practice of learning things ON YOUR OWN, because you can't expect your teachers to meet your educational needs. Although many teachers would LOVE to support your love of knowledge, they have to spend most of their time preparing lessons that are suitable for the slowest and laziest students in their classes. Jump through the hoops, and then make friends with the library.

If a high school student can master both of these by graduation, the transition to college will be MUCH smoother.

Agreed.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:46 am

Most teachers are (as I stated in another thread) idiot simpletons. Almost everything I know I learned on my own, and if it was covered in class I almost always already knew it. I was reading and understanding college-level material when I was in 6th grade.