Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 1:01 pm

The other thing is that it makes a lot of sense to encourage some minorities and women to acquire an education and better job skills. Putting it bluntly, the government would rather not foot the bill of supporting us and our children.

Some of you guys really baffle me. I mean, think about this for a minute. Soem of you begrudge us the following:

Reproductive rights (not only abortion but also birth control)

Yet many of the same men get mad if the woman doesn't want sex and feel that if she is "theirs", they should have the right to have sex with her against her will....

Welfare benefits (not only cash assitance but also food stamps)

Yet you don't want us having abortions or using non-abstinent methods of birth control? HOw exactly are we supposed to feed the kids that we have (let alone the hugely increased number that there would be if we couldn't keep the numbers down)??

And now, scholarships for women and minorities, to enable us to actually support ourselves and our families and work for more than minimum wages.

Yeah, I guess we should just crank our lots and lots and lots of kids and if they're hungry and $5.15 an hour isn't enough to feed them on, too bad! :roll:

Get a grip.....

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 1:44 pm

But why just have scholorships for women and minorities, why not for poorer people that make $5.15 an hour, and the last time I checked the first thing you described is still rape.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 1:59 pm

For what its worth, I did check the census burea and families that report themselves as Asian Americans did make, on average, almost $10,000 more a year then families that reported themselves as White-nonHispanic.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2005, 3:12 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Ive seen statistics that says the avg Asian American makes like 40K while the avg Caucasion only makes 36K

Did they take into account people who couldn't be bothered to participate in surveys? Check out this story from The Onion:

Quote:
From http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30251

Asian-Americans Defying Traditional Stereotypes
More and More Are Stupid Lazy-Asses
August 28, 1996 | Issue 30•03

SAN FRANCISCO—When Dith Trang and Rodney Kim get together after school, academics are the furthest thing from their minds.

Described by friends as "shiftless and dumb," Lin Bu is one of a growing number of Asian-Americans helping to dispel the myth of the hardworking, motivated Easterner.
Instead, the two ninth-graders go to Trang's house to listen to rap music, eat Doritos and get high.

"Don't make assumptions about us just because we're Asian," says the bespectacled Trang, passing his friend a joint. "Not all of us care about college."

With poor grades and atrocious study habits, Trang and Kim are among a growing number of young people who are challenging people's traditional notions about Asian-Americans. No longer content to be thought of as successful, intelligent, hard-working and family-oriented, an ever-increasing number of second- and third-generation Asian-Americans are beginning to fail miserably.

"This is the next logical step for us," says Ken Chang, president of the Bay Area Asian-American Association. "People assume all we're able to do is emigrate to the U.S. with nothing and before long establish thriving businesses and careers through hard work and determination. Well, that's just not true."

"People look at me and figure I'm smart, just because I'm Chinese," said Lin Bu, 27, currently unemployed and not looking for work. "Well, I'm not. I am stupid as hell."

"It just makes me so mad," said Jin-Duk Soo, 19, who passed on going to college to focus on fixing up his car and picking up chicks. "I just want to party, not achieve."

Particularly under fire are long-standing stereotypes about cultural superiority in academics. While some young Asian-Americans are simply refusing to take calculus in college or high school, others are going so far as to stage a "math strike" to protest the unfair generalizations.

"The other day in class, my math teacher asked me to calculate the value of a sine curve," said Jen Tashikara, 16. "So I'm like, 'Forget it, old man—I'm Asian.'"

Recently, at Westlake High School in Oakland, Asian-born students held a mass "Fail-In," refusing to answer any test questions correctly. Among their test answers: "Hydrogen is an adverb," and "The President of Russia is 2.6."

But despite recent progress, Asian-Americans still have a long way to go. According to the Census Bureau, nearly 95 percent of Asian-American high school seniors go on to college, a number Chang calls "alarmingly high."

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 7:45 pm

:lol:

Quote:
Did they take into account people who couldn't be bothered to participate in surveys? Check out this story from The Onion:

You do realize that The Onion is wholly satire and not actual news stories, right? :lol:

Quote:
But why just have scholorships for women and minorities, why not for poorer people that make $5.15 an hour,

Because a majority of the ones who make only $5.15 an hour (and stay at those wages or very close to it) are often women and minorities? There is educational help available for poor white guys, BTW, it's just that given the choice between a white high school dropout and a single mother of 3 who is struggling to get by, chances are good that the woman is going to get more scholarships and grants and help. If the roles were reversed, and the guy was a single parent of 3, he'd probably get help, too. Fact of the matter is, poor women do tend to get pregnant and have children, so it behooves the government to educate us.

Quote:
the last time I checked the first thing you described is still rape

Yeah, it is. But a lot of the really extreme religious guys believe that the woman has to submit and never refuse her husband, whether she wants it or not, whether she says no or not. And yet, these are the same people who tend to take a stand against all abortion for any reason, as well as a majority of birth control methods.

I'm just saying, such a viewpoint puts a female in a no-win situation, unless she wants to be single and celibate her entire life (in which case she loses again, since she's not fulfilling her womanly, godly role as a wife, mother, and homemaker). :roll:

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Because a majority of the ones who make only $5.15 an hour (and stay at those wages or very close to it) are often women and minorities? There is educational help available for poor white guys, BTW, it's just that given the choice between a white high school dropout and a single mother of 3 who is struggling to get by, chances are good that the woman is going to get more scholarships and grants and help. If the roles were reversed, and the guy was a single parent of 3, he'd probably get help, too. Fact of the matter is, poor women do tend to get pregnant and have children, so it behooves the government to educate us.

But there are scholorships specifically for women and minorities, Ive never seen one specifically for whites or males.

Quote:
Yeah, it is. But a lot of the really extreme religious guys believe that the woman has to submit and never refuse her husband, whether she wants it or not, whether she says no or not. And yet, these are the same people who tend to take a stand against all abortion for any reason, as well as a majority of birth control methods.

I'm just saying, such a viewpoint puts a female in a no-win situation, unless she wants to be single and celibate her entire life (in which case she loses again, since she's not fulfilling her womanly, godly role as a wife, mother, and homemaker).

Why bring this up then it has nothing to do with anything talked about so far.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 8:34 pm

I guess I brought it up because the same sorts who resent women and minorities getting help also tend to be the ultra conservative religious types.

From what I have seen (and I will probably get flamed for this) good paying work is readily available for most white guys who are willing to work. As an example, my mate has worked less than a year at his workplace, and I've worked almost two years (we don't work at the same place), yet he earns more than I do, and it's likely to be a long time before I equal his wages. We both have basically the same amount of education and are both aspie.

If a guy wants to work in construction, he can very easily start out at or above $10 an hour as long as he works hard and has basic math skills. A woman wanting to work in construction at all....other than painting or finishing drywall, has an uphill battle ahead of her to find anyone who'll take her seriously, let's not even talk about wages...

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 9:20 pm

chamoisee wrote:
If a guy wants to work in construction, he can very easily start out at or above $10 an hour as long as he works hard and has basic math skills. A woman wanting to work in construction at all....other than painting or finishing drywall, has an uphill battle ahead of her to find anyone who'll take her seriously, let's not even talk about wages...

Wouldn't there be "pink collar" jobs that it would be harder for men to get a job in, such as nursing, secratary, teaching (well maybe not teaching as I would imagine schools like finding male teachers as theres so few of them and generally half the students are male), and etc.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 10:02 pm

Plenty of demand for male nurses! Teachers and secretaries don't make a whole lot, and I think most men have too much self respect to work as a secretary. There are plenty of male teachers, though.

At any rate, we're speaking of entry level jobs that pay well. There are very few such jobs available to women (well, there's prostitution, but I was thinking of decent work).

See, when men don't have education or skill or training, they can fall back on the fact that they are male and have greater upper body strength than women. If I were a guy (or a larger female with more brawn- un-pregnant I'm only 105 lbs), I could work at the lumber mills and start out at $10+ an hour.