Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 5:37 am

yeah thats been a thought of mine too. we have a beter idea of understanding both.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 6:39 am

acannon wrote:
I personally couldn't picture how it would be to be non-verbal because I can talk, and I'm sure it would be quite inconvenient for me because that's my main form of expression in the outside world, ...

Most adults with Autism can talk fine [in a mechanical setting], it's just that they're not interested in social interaction like those with Asperger's (among other things that separate the two). It's a myth that the majority of individuals with Kanner's Autism (HFA/LFA--both of which are silly terms as a few IQ points doesn't determine how "autistic" someone is) don't acquire adequate speech; it's a delay in the development of such most times, and those who lack it completely at an early age have a good chance of developing such.

It's best to think of Autism as someone having their antennae totally cut-off, whereas someone with Asperger's has a different type of antennae to "normal" people.

(I'm speaking generally here, and from someone who has Kanner's; my experience is typical of the majority of individuals with such.)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 6:42 am

SotiCoto wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Well, the two people I told UNDERSTAND the two are similar. Still, AS IS supposed to seem better. It IS better, in most respects than kanners, if you aren't talking about HFA. Of course, what you think and say means NOTHING if you are obviously so bad off.

Still, most of the symptoms that make me believe I have AS ARE in kanners as well. To not see the similarity in the guidelines is self-deceptive. BTW THOSE symptoms are ALSO the ones most others will fail to notice.

Y'know.... I've often thought that we Aspergians are maybe just here to serve as Ambassadors of a sort between the Full-Auts and the Neurotypicals... as we have somewhat of a half-understanding of each that the other will never be able to relate to.

You might be right about that! I just wrote to someone on youtube. They said a woman, that was interviewed as having AS, could NOT be autistic! She DID do subtle things that remind me of me! I believe she IS AS. She appears to be well spoken, etc... But SO WHAT if she doesn't appear like a person with Kanner's may? I DON'T EITHER!

Frankly, I feel CLOSER to those that have Kanner's simply because I found I match the Asperger criteria. It is almost like my weaker abilities could be hooked to dials and, if they were dialed down a bit, I would be no better off, or seem better, than the Kanner's people. Of course, I DO have some things I am better at than NTs, but even THEY may seem worse in light of stronger deficits.

People used to hunt ME out. TODAY, I might seek THEM out.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 6:53 am

Danielismyname wrote:
acannon wrote:
I personally couldn't picture how it would be to be non-verbal because I can talk, and I'm sure it would be quite inconvenient for me because that's my main form of expression in the outside world, ...

Most adults with Autism can talk fine [in a mechanical setting], it's just that they're not interested in social interaction like those with Asperger's (among other things that separate the two). It's a myth that the majority of individuals with Kanner's Autism (HFA/LFA--both of which are silly terms as a few IQ points doesn't determine how "autistic" someone is) don't acquire adequate speech; it's a delay in the development of such most times, and those who lack it completely at an early age have a good chance of developing such.

It's best to think of Autism as someone having their antennae totally cut-off, whereas someone with Asperger's has a different type of antennae to "normal" people.

(I'm speaking generally here, and from someone who has Kanner's; my experience is typical of the majority of individuals with such.)

Gee, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!? You seem to be moving more and more to the center! HEY, that is a good thing, and certainly no insult, but you DO seem to be!

And IQ IS somewhat arbitrary. It's best use is testing severe deficits, STRONG strengths, and academic ability. HECK, I know a LOT of useful stuff and have abilities that help my in my career, that are NOT represented by an IQ. Someone could have an IQ TWICE as high as I have(Apparently nobody does though. :lol: ) and still not be able to do some things nearly as well as I can.

BTW That isn't to say they couldn't be dumber than I am and do as well, and it isn't to say I am ****THE**** best. I am ALSO not claiming that anyone on this board couldn't make the same claim. Please don't read anything extra into it.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 7:19 am

Aspie/Autie- does it matter, some of us like myself prefer not to say if we have high functioning, low functioning, Aspergers, autism..., we all have autism.

I also prefer not to differ between aspie and autie as feel we are all on the the autism spectrum and share traits where ever on the autism spectrum we are - so I use the word Aspie..., sorry not intended to exclude Autie or anyone else..

But the one thing I do know is that I understand people on the autism spectrum, so much better than NTs!

-Main
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2008, 8:09 am

I use Aspergers to describe myself; this is for social reasons. Most people have heard of, and have a stereotype of, autism. I'm usually a long way from said stereotype, and I use the word Aspergers instead because no one knows what Aspergers is. Those people who have heard of it will have a better idea of what I am.

acannon
Raven
Raven

29 May 2008, 9:33 am

Danielismyname wrote:
acannon wrote:

I know that it's a myth. I'm just saying that it's one thing that some Aspies (or other people who judge Asperger's as being better than Kanner's) use to separate themselves from auties.

I just don't understand how it has to be us and them. Like here we are on the "higher functioning" end of the spectrum, and there they are on the "lower" end. I know they're different diagnoses and yes, they are separated for clarification purposes, but why can't it be we autistics? Why does it have to be us Aspies and the Auties?

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:36 am

Y'know.... I've often thought that we Aspergians are maybe just here to serve as Ambassadors of a sort between the Full-Auts and the Neurotypicals... as we have somewhat of a half-understanding of each that the other will never be able to relate to.

.[/quote]

I agree as well. Aspies, in some way be advocates for those who dont speak the local dialect, Perhaps an aspie would have more insight than some of the so-called experts.

Does that mean we are like the hybrid car of autism and Nt.

ChukoTheWarlike
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2008, 10:03 am

I use Autism because I generally come off as very intelligent and articulate, and I like the feeling of telling people "oh btw I have Autism".

"Aspergers" is, unfortunately, a really unwieldy word.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 11:26 am

acannon wrote:
It seems to me that there are too many Aspies out there who separate themselves from Auties. They think, "I'm not autistic, I have Aspergers." Maybe they even think that they are better than autistic people. I'm not presuming that all aspies who say things similar to the comment above think this, but that's what it says to me. FTR, I have AS, not Kanner's autism, but I refer to myself as autistic because Asperger's is a form of autism. Until further research confirms that Asperger's is not on the autism spectrum, that is how I will refer to myself. I realize not all Aspies are comfortable with referring to themselves as autistic, mostly because of the stigma, and that's fine. I understand that. The "I'm an Aspie so I am better than that autie over there" mentality is much too pervasive. Why can't we all just be autistics, the aspies and auties, and others on the spectrum? We're all on the same spectrum. I don't see how one classification is inherently better than the other because one might have less stims, a better ability to blend into society, and little to no verbal delay. One person isn't better than another just because he can talk. I personally couldn't picture how it would be to be non-verbal because I can talk, and I'm sure it would be quite inconvenient for me because that's my main form of expression in the outside world, but if someone else can communicate in a way that doesn't require spoken word, how does that make me better than that person? I just don't understand the mentality, that's all. I know I'm probably going to get yelled at for posting this thread, but I don't care. I want to bring this out into the open because it bothers me to see it.

am agree,and think it is good have made this topic because it does happen.
am get fed up with the anti autie bias and ignorance on here,when those that are doing it are usually the same ones who complain about it being done to aspies.

am have seen users say 'they dont want to get lumped in with auties' because 'they have nothing in common with them',they are not only using a forum with auties so do in fact have something in common,they also are affected by the triad of impairments-
another shared thing.
the main differences in the main autisms [classic,as,pdddnos] is in the challenges,they all have different challenges,and have challenges worse than each other,eg,communication is worse for auties,but aspies are over expected to be able to do everything as they are closer to NT like.

am also see users say auties who are non verbal cant write,they are different things and being NV/speech impaired does not mean are not able to write,writing is a strength for am and without it would only be communicating through headbanging and self injury.
there is not one cause to NVism in autism,there's many different causes,not being able to speak doesnt mean have no understanding of language.

another one am hate-when theres a cure thread,and some aspies say,if there is a cure,they should be asked if they want it,but just cure LFAs,this is supposed to be an autism spectrum that is united under one label,and the most they can do is want to deny choice for one specific functioning level?
and there are those who say that a cure or functioning raising treatment for disabling autism should not ever be found because it will only get forced on them [being hf aspies].

then there was the well known user who said auties should be put on an island and left to die because of the high funding that need for living.

it is only a minority who are like that,but when it happens it doesnt feel like a support site,and neither does it when a lot of the threads ask for aspie posters only when it doesnt have any effect on the topic.

it would be nice if could all learn against the ignorance of all autisms,and also stop fighting with parents of autistics as well.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2008, 12:13 pm

Describing myself as autistic would probably be misleading to other people, given that "autistic" typically means in the Kanner sense.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:42 pm

edit

Last edited by Sorenna on 31 May 2008, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 1:56 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Most adults with Autism can talk fine [in a mechanical setting], it's just that they're not interested in social interaction like those with Asperger's (among other things that separate the two).

I have seen no evidence for that assertion at all.

I know way too many people with Asperger's who aren't interested in people, and way too many people with autism who are. Including many people who are said not to be interested in people. Additionally, they've studied things like social attachment to parents in young autistic children and it's at normal levels, which you wouldn't think, for someone who had no interest in social interaction.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 2:48 pm

I think there is very little true difference between a verbal autie and an Aspie. There are low-functioning Aspies, even, between seizures and executive dysvunction and comorbid depression. If you've seen one autistic person... you've seen one autistic person. We're very different from each other. The childhood diagnosis of autism vs. asperger's is different, but in adulthood they tend to converge a great deal. The DSM categories are all focused on symptoms in childhood, even diagnosed by childhood history... Once you learn to talk, nobody can tell whether you're Aspie or Autie. You can't even tell by functioning level. I have a friend who is diagnosed Kanner's. I'm an Aspie. According to my latest evaluation, my GAF is only 55--moderately impaired. His, by my estimation, is at least 80, probably more. (It's a 100-point scale.) You really couldn't tell who had the childhood speech delay.

I do think that those of us who use language have a responsibility to stick up for the people who can't use language (or who use language that's atypical enough to be easily ignored). We can't know what it's like to be another person--Aspie, nonverbal, or NT--and that's always going to be true. It's impossible to "speak for" anybody without messing something up. But we can insist on human rights and we can insist that people listen to atypical communication, from typed words to screams... It's a little harder to ignore that, when it's coming from somebody who's autistic too.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 3:29 pm

Do they normally use the GAF in everyday sorts of situations? I only ever got it applied to me in mental institutions. They didn't use it at Social Security and they don't use it in any of the service systems I've been in (they sometimes use other scales but not GAF). (Mine was at the time measured from 10 to 60 with 60 being their highest estimate for the year before they started measuring it. I haven't the foggiest how to rate myself on such a scale now. And the people who did mine didn't seem to ever use the in-between numbers, so it was 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60.)

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 3:40 pm

Callista wrote:
If you've seen one autistic person... you've seen one autistic person. .

This is great. I wish more professionals would see it this way.